PDA

View Full Version : MS used pirated software...

vasanth
11-25-2004, 07:13 PM
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/13/0036243&tid=133&tid=201&tid=109&tid=1
your comments

okinrus
11-25-2004, 08:40 PM
It's possible. Large companies porbably have trouble keeping track of illegal software someone might use. In fact, Microsoft, a while past, had trouble keeping track of their own sourcecode.

Perspective
11-25-2004, 08:52 PM
personally, i think its a direct result of forcing deadlines that cant be met. An employee panics and uses cracked software to finish the job.

iain
11-26-2004, 06:36 AM
>>MS used pirated software...
I wander if they ever license their own instllations of M$ software ..

Sang-drax
11-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Hehe, I have a 'Deepz0ne' in my Windows wav files.

sand_man
11-26-2004, 09:18 PM
I think someone will get fired for that :)

Zach L.
11-26-2004, 09:30 PM
>>MS used pirated software...
I wonder if they ever license their own instllations of M$ software ..
Hehe... I can see all the MS programmers sitting down, slaving away on their pirated copies of .NET. :)

sean
11-26-2004, 10:11 PM
The movie Pirates of Silicon Valley is very ineteresting. IIRC Bill Gates got his start in the comuter world by using Cap 'n' Crunch whistles to hack into free long distance with AT&T, and DOS had some fairly controversial beginnings...

iain
11-27-2004, 07:31 AM
I find their use of 'pirate' sound software quite ironic as they are pushing DRM so much

vasanth
11-27-2004, 07:55 AM
I find their use of 'pirate' sound software quite ironic as they are pushing DRM so much
I think it was just an employee who used to fnish the work faster maybe.. but still MS can be held responsible.... But I am sure some ppl are gone be fired now...

kermi3
11-27-2004, 08:11 AM
By their contracts, all work that M$ employies produce is Microsoft's intellectual property....Therefore I'd think that they can (and should be) held responsible....

Govtcheez
11-27-2004, 08:22 AM
> M$

Haha, oh my that's very clever. You see, they like money and the conveniently placed "S" in their abbreviation is just begging for parody! Oh my, hahaha!

iain
11-27-2004, 11:12 AM
im taking bets on the following:
1)How long will the next law suit last between MS and Sonic Foundry.
2)How much money will MS spend on lawyers
3)How much money will MS be fined

my personal stakes are
1) 4 months
2) > $600,000
3) > $1,000,000

the winner gets a microsoft pirated soundfile

Perspective
11-27-2004, 12:55 PM
>>4 months

i can gaurantee you that one is wrong. It would be a miracle if it lasted less than a year.

Lurker
11-27-2004, 01:24 PM
> M$

Haha, oh my that's very clever. You see, they like money and the conveniently placed "S" in their abbreviation is just begging for parody! Oh my, hahaha!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeheeheheheheeeheeh.

no-one
11-29-2004, 09:35 PM
this is so retarded... its so for two reasons

1. Microsoft cant manage to get its people what they need to get the job done.
2. people dont hold MS responsible for its employee's actions... they are responsible... no matter how you try and swing it...

then again... thats just like my opinion, man.

jwenting
11-30-2004, 02:30 AM
Far more likely (especially given the source of the rumours...) is that someone is blackmailing Microsoft to give them a load of cash or face bad press...

Yes, many companies make occasional mistakes in keeping track of the number of licensed copies of software they own.
Yes, many employees will use software not licensed to the company for their work. Sometimes this is pirated stuff, sometimes it is not.
If companies are good neighbours they handle things among themselves though.

I did a lot of consultancy for a major banking concern here several years ago. During an internal audit we discovered we had 2500 more workstations in use than we had on file (older machines that had been listed as destroyed but hadn't been, machines that had by error not been listed, etc).
That of course meant we had without knowing it gone about 2000 units over our licenses for quite a bit of software. Instead of crying foul and sueing us the matter was handled silently and to everyone's liking.

At another major customer the sysadmins on the project I was involved in installed pirated versions of many programs on users' machines without approval or prior knowledge from project management (let alone company management).
When I told the project manager (I found out when I saw one doing it) he went ballistic.

As a consultant I also always carried a laptop with my private licenses to a lot of software for use if a customer didn't own a license to a tool I needed (which happened a lot).
If such software leaves traces on a customer's servers or in his files that doesn't mean they use pirated software...

Last but not least at yet another customer they were using cracked versions of Autocad on some machines that could for safety reasons could not use the hardware locks provided with the software. The licensed copies were stored and marked in a safe so were available.
The machines were installed in an environment where it was impossible to mount the hardware locks on the backs of the machines because of explosion danger.
With current protection systems that is usually no longer needed and I guess that had they contacted the manufacturer at the time they'd have gotten a modified version...