PDA

View Full Version : Major Windows Software - Are there any Major Players Left?

Davros
11-12-2004, 12:23 PM
I was wondering today...

A short number of years ago there were a good number of major companies who wrote software for Windows. This was the time when if you wanted a spreadsheet, the main choice was Lotus 123. (You had a choice!)

But what major companies write Windows software anymore?

I'm struggling to think of any, except in niche domains.

RoD
11-12-2004, 12:52 PM
um, most of them?

whackaxe
11-12-2004, 01:50 PM
err, all companies who write windows software.............write windows software? what do you define "major company" as? because i can't remember that many TBH (although im only a youngun so ill gladly be proven wrong)

Perspective
11-12-2004, 03:14 PM
game companies. Most other major companies shoot for multi-platform IMO.

Brian
11-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Adobe, Macromedia, Jasc, Borland, not to mention nearly every single games company.

Davros
11-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Adobe, Macromedia, Jasc

OK. Would have to give you that.

With the exception of Delphi, Borland seem to be moving away from Windows and toward cross platform enterprise. Or at least, that's how it seems to me and I'm not convinced about the long term future of Delphi.

What ever happened to Lotus? Are they still going? I first used Lotus Manuscript for DOS. Thought Ami Pro was brill (still do), but Word Pro was a dog.

What about Corel? I think they're still going, but never hear of them anymore. And then there was SoftQuad Hotmetal?

When I asked the question, I wasn't thinking about games. So I would have to concede to that also. However, it seems that (generally) it is Microsoft all the way for everything, except for open source, although I'm not complaining about the latter.

sean
11-12-2004, 05:01 PM
When I bought my Sony VAIO Corel Works was already installed.

B0bDole
11-12-2004, 05:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Corel has moved away from consumer based software and moved to business suited solutions and custom projects. I *think*.

B0bDole
11-12-2004, 05:34 PM
I totally take that back. I'm just really confused now.

edit- here you go "Corel Corporation has announced the acquisition of Jasc"