PDA

View Full Version : License Question (GNU/GPL)

Isometric
11-24-2001, 07:27 PM
Is it ok to include the license in distribution but not be able to open it from my program or does it have to be viewable thru the program? I read the license and thats my only question with it. If it's that I have to allow users to open it through my program what syntac can I use to display? I know file i/o for dos (console) but how can I display that in Windows?

SilentStrike
11-24-2001, 08:09 PM
The license says basically that you should try to make the license viewable from the within the program. The easiest way to put it in the program would be to have an "about" option, perhaps on in a dropdown menu, or directly with a button, that displays the license.

Why does the GPL, a "free" license, feel so damn restrictive?

Isometric
11-24-2001, 08:33 PM
I know how to do that its just how can I display the License without painting over my window and without having one HUGE dialog/message box?

SilentStrike
11-24-2001, 08:42 PM
Make the GPL have it's own huge dialog, but just make it optional for the user to click.

Isometric
11-24-2001, 09:06 PM
That just seems very hackish and inprofessional. Are there anyother ways like open a read only file or something?

SilentStrike
11-24-2001, 09:36 PM
That's how it's done with most small GPL apps, as an option for a drop down. I don't know what the interface for your program looks like, so I can't really suggest anything.

Isometric
11-24-2001, 09:50 PM
I didnt mean the menu. I also put that in and its been there since the start I was just saying that a huge Dialog box seems unprofessional.

gnu-ehacks
11-25-2001, 12:03 AM
If you are using GNU/GPL free licensing, do you really need to post the licensing? If so, just put it in a different window. Not the about window, because that already has stuff on it. Put some other button in the help menu, and call it "license" or something. Whatever you want. =)