PDA

View Full Version : Uzi

sean
10-18-2004, 01:36 PM
A while ago I had a poll to help choose the name for my server program. I use naming conventions based on Zulu grammar just because it's unique, so I was going to go with a Zulu name. umuZi is a word that refers to the typical Zulu homestead (which went well with a server). Zi is the word for homestead, and umu is the prefix attached to it to make it a regular noun (as opposed to turning it into different types of verbs, advectives, etc...)

It was a toss up between umuZi and Zi. When mimicing Spanish, the common practice is something to the effect of "el noun-o". Well the Zulu equivalent is to simply prefix the word with a u.

Zi.
uZi.
Uzi.

Pretty cool name, eh? Pretty memorable too. So I was just wondering - is Uzi a TradeMark? Does the Isreali Arms company actually own the name Uzi? Or is it just a general term for any 9mm Submachine Gun that happens to have that distinctive shape and high-rate-of-fire characteristics?

I've tried searching it a bit on the web, but I've found evidence to go either way, but nothing definitive.

Thantos
10-18-2004, 01:52 PM
<Non-lawyer answer incoming>
I believe trademarks only apply to the field in which they resides. So you couldn't make another gun and call it an Uzi but that shouldn't stop you from making a server called it. Personally I dislike the name because its something I would expect from a lewt pwnzr dumb arse.

sean
10-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Ah. Makes sense. Thanks. And I'll take that into consideration as soon as I figure out what a lewt pwnzr is (but I get your point, and I'll think about it). It's not final by any means yet. Just gonna start on heavy testing in a couple of weeks.

JarJarBinks
10-18-2004, 02:30 PM
lewt pwnzr

sarcasim?

Jeremy G
10-18-2004, 02:35 PM
A while ago I had a poll to help choose the name for my server program. I use naming conventions based on Zulu grammar just because it's unique, so I was going to go with a Zulu name. umuZi is a word that refers to the typical Zulu homestead (which went well with a server). Zi is the word for homestead, and umu is the prefix attached to it to make it a regular noun (as opposed to turning it into different types of verbs, advectives, etc...)

It was a toss up between umuZi and Zi. When mimicing Spanish, the common practice is something to the effect of "el noun-o". Well the Zulu equivalent is to simply prefix the word with a u.

Zi.
uZi.
Uzi.

Pretty cool name, eh? Pretty memorable too. So I was just wondering - is Uzi a TradeMark? Does the Isreali Arms company actually own the name Uzi? Or is it just a general term for any 9mm Submachine Gun that happens to have that distinctive shape and high-rate-of-fire characteristics?

I've tried searching it a bit on the web, but I've found evidence to go either way, but nothing definitive.

Just for asthetic purposes, and maybe marketing too, I'd try to do something to get away from the usual affiliation the word Uzi comes with. Perhaps stick to uZi, or u-Zi. Just an effort to try to avoid any stigmata from such a commonly known word.

I think a great idea would be instead of spelling it uzi, use the pronounciation spelling of the word. You know how in the dictionary they have the word, and in parenthesis they way to pronounce it with special characters and hypens...
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=uzi
The pronunceation key there shows a really interesting spelling. If you were to use that instead of uzi, it would stick out, and also be fun for type setting and logo stuff.

well thats my opinion. Good luck.

caroundw5h
10-18-2004, 04:25 PM
You know awhile ago i came across a web server that was called some zulu name too. No word of a lie, but wouldn't it be more cool to just name your apps animals names. like Orca or otter, or Charlie horse? :D
serioulsy though, i did come across a name like that.

Lurker
10-18-2004, 04:56 PM
How about "xiong", "the bear" or "brilliance" (also Chinese family name) :) ?

Zach L.
10-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Otters are cool... So are beavers.
Oddly enough, the phonetic spelling of Uzi in IPA is almost idenical to the word: /uwzi/

major_small
10-19-2004, 07:38 AM
(also Chinese family name) :) ?
that's the truth with just about any word/character in the chinese language ;)