PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 book(and programming)

nbk
10-05-2004, 07:46 PM
For those who haven't heard-

Valve will release the source for Half Life 2(as they did for HL1).

Prima is publishing a book on coding mods for the game(or it explains the source code).

Anyways, there will also be a book published that shows what went on during the making of the game. You guys should check them out(Amazon "Raising the Bar")

The RTB book comes out Thursday, and the coding one will be out December 14

Coding book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761543635/ref=pd_sim_books_1/102-5286006-4612132?v=glance&s=books)

Raising the Bar (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0761543643/qid=1097027455/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-5286006-4612132?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

Jeremy G
10-05-2004, 07:49 PM
Sorry, but HL2 wont be out, for like 6 more months. God love Vivendi.

But, when the game does eventually make release and even though the technology will be like 2 years old--it will still be a great game coding experience. You can learn a lot about game structures and game flow through modding an engine like Half life, quake or doom. I don't think I'd buy a book on it though, as there are going to be dozens of web sites with tutorials that will teach you just as much, if not more.

Govtcheez
10-06-2004, 05:49 AM
Some people prefer books to internet tutorials. I know I do.

GanglyLamb
10-06-2004, 06:32 AM
Yeah i would definately go and get the book instead of looking at source online...

I need to feel the gentle touch of paper filled with code
::dreams away::

VirtualAce
10-06-2004, 07:43 AM
I prefer books and I'll probably look into getting it. My library is growing by the day.

What a nerd I've become.

JarJarBinks
10-06-2004, 07:49 AM
actually HL2 will be out in no more then a month
they've already pre-loaded 1+GB of the game to
steam user, www.steampowered.com

Also Counter-Strike Source Full , which uses the HL2 engine
will be out in like a week.

Jeremy G
10-06-2004, 10:10 AM
actually HL2 will be out in no more then a month
they've already pre-loaded 1+GB of the game to
steam user, www.steampowered.com

Also Counter-Strike Source Full , which uses the HL2 engine
will be out in like a week.

Sorry JarJar but you haven't been paying attention to the press. You see Valve and Vivendi are in a court battle at the moment. And as current contract states it Vivendi has the legal Right to hold the game for up to 6 months. And considering the issue is over half life 2 and the major distribution of it being online, it is likely Vivendi will hold it the full duration of the time. Especially since the court date isnt until 2005. You are right, a lot has been pre-loaded, but it cant be released until Vivendi says so.

C-Strike Source beta is out, but it wont be full release until Hl2 is fully released. These are facts not hearsay.

Jeremy G
10-06-2004, 10:12 AM
I prefer books and I'll probably look into getting it. My library is growing by the day.

What a nerd I've become.

Books are great, and you can look at them and only take up desk space where as computer content takes up screen space but frankly a lot of people find paying $50 dollars for a paper copy of whats free online kinda sheepish. If anything, I'll go to my collage computer building and print up all the materials on thier printers and paper for free :)