PDA

View Full Version : Why are lower class text books so bad

Thantos
09-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Well I'm tutoring again this semester and have picked up a bunch of math classes.

One thing I've noticed on both the math and the programming courses is that the lower classes' books are just down right crap. The examples and problems they give are as clear as mud, the book itself is cheaply made, and there is nothing interesting in them.

My calc book has a bunch of side information about different things such as applications of ideas, tid bits on the history of the people that developed some of the theories, etc.

You'd think that the lower books would be better made since they are more important, but nope they find the biggest moron they can to write them.

</rant>

axon
09-30-2004, 05:13 PM
stop whining; who needs a text book for calculus - its child's play ;) :p

sean
09-30-2004, 05:34 PM
I woke up this morning and found my drool in the shape of an integral problem.

Govtcheez
09-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Obvious answer, but "It's cheaper"?

KneeGrow
09-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Why are textbooks so darn expensive anyways. In China the textbooks are mass thin and paperback and cost like 1$

ZakkWylde969
09-30-2004, 09:09 PM
Why are textbooks so darn expensive anyways. In China the textbooks are mass thin and paperback and cost like 1$

Cause they probably make the books down the street in a warehouse. I'm not sure about books, but I think mass produced ones would probably be made in those areas.

RoD
09-30-2004, 09:49 PM
stop whining; who needs a text book for calculus - its child's play ;) :p

do u member how many miles it was? LOL

ZakkWylde969
09-30-2004, 09:56 PM
do u member how many miles it was? LOL

16 I believe.

:p

axon
09-30-2004, 09:58 PM
>>Why are textbooks so darn expensive anyways. In China the textbooks are mass thin and paperback and cost like 1$<<

I doubt that they pay for text books period - as it is still a Communist country. But I rather pay for my books and read "correct" (I use this word with caution) information, rather then about the rhetoric of the "glorious red party and its magnificent leaders throughout history - Hail Stalin!" :rolleyes:

Children in North Korea learn that King Jong is a demi god... yey pinkos!

no-one
09-30-2004, 10:07 PM
actually Axon, dont the Chineese communist hate the Russian communists? i.e. Stalin with them? dont you mean "Hail Mao?"

edit: on topic, "Made by idiots, for idiots." haha

edit: no wait, im wrong they "diverted" after stalin? so yeah your ok.

KneeGrow
09-30-2004, 10:36 PM
'no-one' is right, we do hate Russians.

As for textbooks, why spend $60-120 on a heavy, picture, big book when u can get the same amount of knowledge from a 200 page novel sized book. You can't say that our textbooks are bad. After all Chinese people are known for their math abilities

axon
09-30-2004, 10:45 PM
listen KneeGrow, the text books in the US are overpriced - but you didn't get my point :(

>>After all Chinese people are known for their math abilities<<
way to propagate the stereotype! actually I never understood why this particular one was considered "bad" :-\

cpp!n
10-04-2004, 05:17 PM
my pre calculus book is very nice(i am in 10th grade). and i goto a public school and it is ten years old. surprises the hell outta me.

nvoigt
10-05-2004, 12:41 AM
I guess that as the smart authors are writing the higher level books, that leaves whom for the lower level classes ?

In addition, the textbook is made by the lowest bidder.

I don't think chinese books on maths are bad, after all maths is a subject that you cannot influence. No matter how much the communist party would like 1 + 1 to be 3, despite it's power to crush students with tanks, it won't be able to change that simple definition. I wouldn't want kids to read chinese books on history or economy or health care though.

B0bDole
10-05-2004, 07:02 AM
I guess that as the smart authors are writing the higher level books, that leaves whom for the lower level classes ?
What??

This whole thread is crap, lower level class textbooks are just as good. It's the material that gets better. :)