PDA

View Full Version : I lost my laptop, DVD and money

Sang-drax
09-29-2004, 02:19 AM
Last night, someone broke in to my room where I live.
I live in a dorm (I think it's called that in English) and I was in the kitchen, watching TV.
I lost my new laptop, DVD player, credit card, ID and celluar phone. My reciever is broken. I've not lost exremly much information, as I've got some backups on another computer in antoher town, but I've lost all recent e-mails etc.

The worst part is that I have lived here for like a week and haven't had the time to sign up for an insurance :(

prog-bman
09-29-2004, 02:47 AM
Boooooo freaking theives suck I hate them.

GanglyLamb
09-29-2004, 03:21 AM
Yeah sorry to hear that,

Ive had a similar experience although with less things stolen...
Especially the fact that you lost your credit card and ID is troublesome.
With us in Belgium ID cards are pretty expensive ( well actually all the paperwork around it is ).

But if I was you i would go and check every god damn room in the dorm your staying...
You can look like a pshycho that way by just busting into their room and looking around, but you just never know what you will find in the room next to you;).

Anyway good luck in all you do...

Greets,

Ganglylamb.

axon
09-29-2004, 05:24 AM
damn sang, sorry to hear that - was there a lock on the door?

ober
09-29-2004, 05:44 AM
Sorry to hear that. I've had stuff stolen before and it always makes me so mad that I can barely control myself. :(

vasanth
09-29-2004, 05:44 AM
which city do you live in....

Sang-drax
09-29-2004, 01:49 PM
damn sang, sorry to hear that - was there a lock on the door?
He came through the window.

GanglyLamb
09-29-2004, 03:10 PM
He came through the window.

So probably hes not someone from the dorm itself...just guessing..

OMG this means my Terminator like scene of busting in every room firing ur guns is already out of question...
Would be cool though: "My stuff or your life: Hasta la vista Baby,pls vote for me again for me during next elections"

Again @sang-drax just keep ya head up, hopefully you find that "bloody" thief that had the guts to play Robin Hood in your room...

Greets,

Ganglylamb.

itld
09-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Howdy,
Damn I hate hearing stuff like that, Thieving cowardly little bastards really p!ss me off.
Cancel your cards and report your ID stolen, check pawn shops for your lap top.

M.R.

Hermitsky
09-30-2004, 08:08 AM
i take my laptop to dorm only when it is necessary.
college is a very dangerous place ......

Sang-drax
09-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Hehe, I bought my new computer today. It's a Dell, just like my laptop was. Only my new computer is 450 MHz, whereas my laptop was 2.4 GHz.
No more 3D games...

I don't know if the word 'dorm' is accurate for the place I live. I live in a corridor, each person has his/her own room with toilet and shower. The kitchen is shared between everyone living in the corridor. This building is not owned by or affiliated with the university.
Am I living in a dorm? :)

Hermitsky
09-30-2004, 09:48 AM
450 MHz ? hoho:)
that may got you feel painfull.

alphaoide
09-30-2004, 10:31 AM
>> Am I living in a dorm?
Dorm is housing provided by the university. You could only live there if you attend the university.

Hermitsky
09-30-2004, 10:50 AM
my dorm was build over 50 years ago.(this is what i heard)
anyway, i really hate this building, no adsl, limited power support, no safe .............

trippedwire
09-30-2004, 12:44 PM
I live in a dorm also, but they sell these things called laptop locks.($5 at any office supply store) I just tied one end to my bed and attached the other end to my laptop. That way if they try to steal it they have to somehow get the bed out of the room also.

vasanth
09-30-2004, 01:33 PM
I live in a dorm also, but they sell these things called laptop locks.($5 at any office supply store) I just tied one end to my bed and attached the other end to my laptop. That way if they try to steal it they have to somehow get the bed out of the room also.cant they cut the wire.. and to whihc part is the wire connected to the laptop... cant they brak it..

Perspective
09-30-2004, 01:42 PM
cant they cut the wire.. and to whihc part is the wire connected to the laptop... cant they brak it..

laptop locks are pretty tough. it would probably be easier to cut through the bed.

Sang-drax
10-01-2004, 05:40 AM
Yeah, if I'm able to raise money for a new laptop I will definitely consider a lock or something.

On a side note: I just installed Windows 2000 on my computer... took no time for it to get infected by a worm. :)
I had to unplug ethernet cable, reinstall windows, block every port except 80 and finally use Windows update to patch it. :)

vasanth
10-01-2004, 06:13 AM
I just ordered a laptop lock on ebay after what happened to you.. DId you file a police complaint??

Sang-drax
10-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Yes, the police were here shortly after.
They actually said that there was a pretty good chance that I'd get get it back... eventually (could take one or more years). Hehe, who wants their computer back after a few years? :)

B0bDole
10-01-2004, 05:20 PM
why would it be 1 or 2 years. Ok, they find it and hold it as evidence, but for 1 or 2 years. Or maybe they have a hard time finding it, what would make it appear in a year or two. Im lost, correct me.

vasanth
10-01-2004, 07:13 PM
why would it be 1 or 2 years. Ok, they find it and hold it as evidence, but for 1 or 2 years. Or maybe they have a hard time finding it, what would make it appear in a year or two. Im lost, correct me.

i think what they mean is eventually the the thieves such as these get caught... and usually they recover the goods..