PDA

View Full Version : Game > Movies

Yoshi
11-21-2001, 07:04 PM
If you can select a game and make a movie out of it, which game will you choose? (Not counting the one's that has movie(s) already.)
:rolleyes:

My choice is Starcraft:cool:

rick barclay
11-21-2001, 07:45 PM
Drakken. One of the few games I can make progress on (because
I have a cheat sheet). I love flying the dragon around and torching the goblins and ogres. I'd love to see that onscreen.

rick barclay

Unregistered
11-21-2001, 08:16 PM
Hmm...There are a lot. Starcraft, Metal Gear Solid, Oni Musha. So many.

Procyon
11-21-2001, 09:07 PM
I think Starcraft would be ideal for a movie. There's a great background story, lots of action, and it fits into the well-established sci-fi genre, but at the same time the plot is undeveloped enough that the movie adaptors would have plenty of leeway to make it suit the medium.

Cheeze-It
11-21-2001, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Hmm...There are a lot. Starcraft, Metal Gear Solid, Oni Musha. So many.

Metal Gear Solid is already a movie. :)

I'd choose Xenogears. Although, I don't know
how they'd squeeze 70 hours of gameplay into
a 2-4 hour movie...

I think the best game->movie so far has been
Mortal Kombat (The first one, the second one
sucked. It sucked a lot).

Procyon
11-21-2001, 11:52 PM
I'd choose Xenogears. Although, I don't know how they'd squeeze 70 hours of gameplay into a 2-4 hour movie...
That's the problem with adapting an RPG... they're too long, and contain too many things like fetch-quests which would not be appropriate for a movie. And the use of a completely imaginary world is something that would be very foreign to most moviegoers; fantasy is not a well-established movie genre (though maybe Lord of the Rings will change this?) I think that RPG plots should probably stay restricted RPGs; the video game is a superior storytelling medium for such a thing anyway.

Yoshi
11-22-2001, 06:52 PM
My second choice is Mario's gang.:D

Cheeze-It
11-22-2001, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Procyon

That's the problem with adapting an RPG... they're too long, and contain too many things like fetch-quests which would not be appropriate for a movie. And the use of a completely imaginary world is something that would be very foreign to most moviegoers; fantasy is not a well-established movie genre (though maybe Lord of the Rings will change this?) I think that RPG plots should probably stay restricted RPGs; the video game is a superior storytelling medium for such a thing anyway.

You're right. I change my vote to Twisted Metal...

oskilian
11-22-2001, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by static

Metal Gear Solid is already a movie. :)

is it? or are you talking about the movie-like gameplay?

Starcraft would be a very good choice!, but the game is so complex that if a movie comes out, you can't have the true escence of the game.

Another good idea would be windows' Minesweeper, or solitaire (did I spell it right?) :) , no, really, I would choose... hmmm, lemme think... maybe The Sims.. nah, too boring... or maybe.... Oh, yes, I got it, but it must be a series instead of a movie, or maybe a series of 6 movies :) , and I'm sure that Camilo would agree with me on this one.

<<<<<Space Quest>>>>>

which goes like this (for those of you non-SpaceQuest-fans):
Space Quest I: The sarien Encounter
Space Quest II: Vohaul's Revenge
Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon
Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers
Space Quest V: The Next Mutation
Space Quest VI: The Spinal Frontier

and if you like you can make more...

Oskilian

Cheeze-It
11-22-2001, 10:05 PM
>>is it? or are you talking about the movie-like gameplay?

The movie-like gameplay. I like the game, but
it is more movie-like than game-like. I just
started MGS2 a few days ago; very good game,
so far.

oskilian
11-22-2001, 10:12 PM
MGS2??? I hadn't heard of it!! what is it like? no, don't tell me. Is it available for the PC?

Oskilian

Cheeze-It
11-22-2001, 10:20 PM
It's not available for the PC... It just came
out a few days ago on PS2. The game was released
in the US before Japan, for a change.

Gamespot just put up a 'Behind the Scenes'
feature. You can see it here... (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/btg_mgs2/index.html)

oskilian
11-22-2001, 10:29 PM
bah, it just tells the story of Mr. Kojima, are there any screenshots from the actual game?

Oskilian

Cheeze-It
11-22-2001, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by oskilian
bah, it just tells the story of Mr. Kojima, are there any screenshots from the actual game?

Oskilian

Here is the Metal Gear Solid 2 section. There
are pictures, movies, a video-review, etc...
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,913941,00.html

Here is a direct-link to just the picture section.
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screenindex/0,11104,913941,00.html

Drewpee
11-23-2001, 10:33 AM
Pong
'nuff said :D

Yoshi
11-23-2001, 10:40 PM
I think that The Legend of Zelda can be a movie... It got a perfect plot, lots of fantasies...

What do you think?:o