PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous reputation?

Pages : [1] 2

caroundw5h
08-28-2004, 05:42 PM
I'm just curious as to what exactly the reputation points mean and how it affects our position on the board. I just checked my control panel and i had x amount of points then i saw I had x - 33 points. When i looked at the comment the poster wrote: "too much usage of the word sad, and it was cheezy and it got on my nerves"
WTF???? on a post about freeware??? Sorry I don't get this and I'd hate to see me get kicked off the board, because somebody thought my post was 'cheezy', thats a vicious thing to do and really infantile.
So I guess i'm just ranting, but I wanted to see if anyone disagreed with the repuation points on here, or whether the mods would be taking it off on the next upgrade.
Next thing you know, someone who recieves a not so positive rep reataliates and gives the same to the person who gave a negative rep points. And then it snowballs from there. Isn't that kinda stupid? C'mon ppl grow up!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Prelude
08-28-2004, 05:49 PM
The reputation that matters isn't measured with points. If some goofball gives you a bad reputation for something silly, just remember that the opinions of people like that aren't important. :) Personally, I think that all additions to reputation should require a comment and list the person who gave it to discourage "rep wars" and encourage constructive criticism.

prog-bman
08-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Hi prelude how are you doing?

Prelude
08-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Much better, thank you for asking. :)

Thantos
08-28-2004, 06:44 PM
The rep system works well for me :) Most of the time the rep system balances out. At least IMO

Vicious
08-28-2004, 06:58 PM
I have gotten some pretty od ones too. Ive had points taken off for "Stupid Thread Title", and sometimes on posts that seem to have nothing to do with anything I get discounted. It also works the opposite way too though, I'll get points for things that I really shouldnt... I guess your reputation is just an average of how people on the board see you.

Edit: lol at thantos reputation, jeez,
but that goes to show that it balances out because the people who give alot of help have High reps while the trouble makers usually have 2 or 3 red dots :D

JaWiB
08-28-2004, 07:46 PM
I've gotten some strange rep before....I might note that older members tend to have more influence

And thantos needs some bad rep ;)

no-one
08-28-2004, 08:06 PM
reputation is for the people in GD... haha losers.

I might note that older members tend to have more influence

ha, right... im one of the oldest members here, and i have NO influence... maybe thats cause im an ass hat and never post anymore, but its still not fair.

And thantos needs some bad rep

you have no clue how hard im fighting it...

caroundw5h
08-28-2004, 09:02 PM
well, thanks for the replies, I thought i was the only one it bothered. Just like to say :D :D to all my fellow canadians and for having pity on me - ROTFL. That's funny didn't really mean to whine and the actions wasn't really what i expected, In any case.

The reputation that matters isn't measured with points. If some goofball gives you a bad reputation for something silly, just remember that the opinions of people like that aren't important. :) Personally, I think that all additions to reputation should require a comment and list the person who gave it to discourage "rep wars" and encourage constructive criticism.

I totally agree with this. ppl should have to post their names besides their comments. but hey I'm just a big prelude "fanboy" :p

jokes.

good night ppl. Time to party up here in montreal!! :cool: :cool:

BTW funny how prelude is back and there is this song out now called "welcome back". very funny

abyssphobia
08-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Just one thing
Is there a limit for bad reputation?,
I want to know just in case,
I was wondering.
thx in adv.

-------- abyssphobia --------------

Cii
08-29-2004, 12:58 AM
i dont post much, but i remember i had points taken away because i said i didnt trust microsoft software. i guess that was one of those opinions that didnt really matter.

Thantos
08-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Just one thing
Is there a limit for bad reputation?,
I want to know just in case,
I was wondering.
thx in adv.

-------- abyssphobia --------------

Yeah is somewhere in the neighborhood of -999,999,999 with postive 999,999,999 being the max or so.

prog-bman
08-29-2004, 01:35 AM
btw thantos how many rep points do you have :) ?

Thantos
08-29-2004, 01:36 AM
As of this posting: 2209

Got a little ways to go before hitting the cap :)

XSquared
08-29-2004, 02:06 AM
Holy crap. Spread the wealth, buddy. :p

Betazep
08-29-2004, 04:32 AM
Intresting how this place has evolved over the years. It truly is a good resource for people to learn, tutor and teach. The general discussions are a welcome break for a lot of people that are working hard to promote their professional and educational lives.

By comparison to the great help that comes out of this place, I feel that the reputation aspect is not much more than just a fun little addition.

We all have people that we appreciate and respect here... and they certainly do not need little green dots to earn my admiration.

Reputation is not something I would stress over.

axon
08-29-2004, 10:46 AM
>>Got a little ways to go before hitting the cap

we will collectively reach that goal together thantos...hehe ;)

>>I feel that the reputation aspect is not much more than just a fun little addition.

I treat it the same way;

Thantos
08-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Don't make me crush you axon :)

Yeah the rep system is mostly for fun. I'd mainly use it to know who not to listen to (ie mr 3+ red boxes)

kermit
08-29-2004, 11:55 AM
When you leave reputation feedback or whatever, is there a way to specify the amount of points or? I have left it a few times, but only ever had the option of what sort of feedback + a comment. Is there some sort of system the board has to assign the points?

Thantos
08-29-2004, 12:00 PM
You have rep power which is assigned based off of: how long you've been registered, your reputation, and your number of posts.

When you give someone else reputation be it postive or negitive you hit them with your full rep power.

Lurker
08-29-2004, 12:03 PM
So give everyone some positive juice, man!

Thantos
08-29-2004, 12:11 PM
I would but
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later. :)

axon
08-29-2004, 12:28 PM
hit me thantos! hit me!

;) :p

gcn_zelda
08-29-2004, 12:53 PM
I can see the headlines now "Thantos reaches 999,999,999 reputation points, axon dies of heart attack"

Boo-yeah!

axon
08-29-2004, 12:56 PM
axon has a strong heart....so it most likely would have to be stroke :p

Lurker
08-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Or he would probably hire someone to kill you. I'll do it, Thantos!

gcn_zelda
08-29-2004, 01:11 PM
How about this one?

"Thantos reaches 999,999,999 rep points, and axon, in his anger, gives all his rep points to gcn_zelda"

Not a bad idea, eh?

axon
08-29-2004, 01:34 PM
why would I be angry though? with that many points he would have awsome super extra powers and e would boost me up quicker....

and btw, the little guy suffers from self esteem issues, and this rep is the only thing that keeps him going. So, have a heart guys - give thantos some more positive rep; don't let him fall deeper into depression.

:p

gcn_zelda
08-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Haha. I'm sure that's it :P

sean
08-29-2004, 04:03 PM
I remember when C+++C_forever was posting all those pointless threads and arguing about everything (and in general trying to suck the inteligence out of the room), I started getting negative rep every time I posted. Now of course since his rep was already negative, it had no influence on how many points I had. So I sent him some rep (postive, mind you), explaining why you should never throw a baseball at someones head when they're wearing a helmet, or when you're not, or just when they can throw a lot harder than you. So he sent me this message, which I saved just because I find the story soo funny, "look. i don"t know who your "enemy" is. it must be someone else because idon"t care about rep issues, but you seem to care very hard.." So I sent one back, "Then how'd you know I sent that message". I'm still waiting to hear back from him, and I haven't had any negative rep from one of his threads since.

But to answer the original question, rep has nothing to do with your real status on the board (unless you want to read Axon's poetry). It doesn't get you banned. It doesn't turn you into a mod. It's just for readers to see how reliable your response is. It's also a good outlet for emotions when some asks you to make a 3D graphics program for them, you tell them to learn C++, and they cuss you out.

axon
08-29-2004, 04:24 PM
>>(unless you want to read Axon's poetry).<<

hey, what the hell is that supposed to mean?!

;)

sean
08-29-2004, 04:27 PM
I just didn't think anybody short of divine is worthy to hear what God speaks through your pen. Sir.

Vicious
08-29-2004, 04:41 PM
I just didn't think anybody short of divine is worthy to hear what God speaks through your pen. Sir.

nice.

Thantos
08-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Oh great give him a big head. I've been telling him that no one short of the insane should be subject to his poems and I was close to having him convienced.

axon
08-29-2004, 04:45 PM
thantos...you are a filthy liar....filthy, filthy liar!!!! hehehe.

>>I just didn't think anybody short of divine is worthy to hear what God speaks through your pen. Sir.<<

yes, and you ARE a member of the select/guru thingies ;)

Thantos
08-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Hey I'm not filthy

axon
08-29-2004, 04:49 PM
well then have your pick at any of these: begrimed, black, blackened, cruddy, crummy, disheveled, fecal, feculent, foul, grimy, gross, grubby, grungy, impure, loathsome, miry, mucky, muddy, nasty, obscene, offensive, polluted, putrid, repulsive, revolting, scummy, scuzzy, sleazy, slimy, slipshod, sloppy, slovenly, smoky, soily, sooty, squalid, unclean, uncleanly, unkempt, unwashed, verminous, vile, yecchy

Thantos
08-29-2004, 04:50 PM
wow I'm impressed you can use the Thesarus :)

Lets go with: unkempt. I can handle unkempt

axon
08-29-2004, 04:52 PM
'unkempt' - what an ugly word; seriously, it has absolutely no feeling in it.

I would choose 'feculent' or 'grungy' for you....:p

Thantos
08-29-2004, 04:53 PM
I SAID UNKEMPT

sean
08-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Slipshod. Definately slipshod.

caroundw5h
08-29-2004, 06:10 PM
I SAID UNKEMPT

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!

axon
08-29-2004, 07:07 PM
the only thing I would change about this whole rep thing is that I would include the name of the person who has left you rep. When I leave negative rep I almost always leave my name - even if it is for my arch enemy golfinguy ;)

sean
08-29-2004, 07:09 PM
When I leave negative rep I almost always leave my name

Yeah I always leave your name too.

prog-bman
08-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Speaking of rep issues holy crap on this on

kermit
08-29-2004, 07:19 PM
heh - I noticed that. Is that a problem with the system or something? Can't see him doing any 'jimbobbing' in his 5 posts...

axon
08-29-2004, 07:22 PM
um yeah. He was obviously bored.

Govtcheez
08-29-2004, 07:27 PM
um yeah. He was obviously Thantos.
Fixed.

gcn_zelda
08-29-2004, 07:35 PM
We've coined the term "jimbobbing", eh?

Thantos
08-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Dang webmaster taking away all my fun :)