PDA

View Full Version : This browser demo probably owns you 9 ways from sunday

Jeremy G
08-21-2004, 07:42 AM
I've seen a lot of debate about scripting languages being suitable, practicle or able for game programming in the game dev forum here. A lot of arguments are they are too slow or not complex or for what ever reason not capable of handling a decent gaming system.

Well here goes a very practicle proof to blow away that idea. This demo is done in entirely JavaScript for the web browser and is pretty sweet. Granted it's pretty retro as far as effects and stuff but still very awsome to see done in JavaScript. Those of you who are familiar with using jscript will be quite impressed I believe, I know I was.

Anywho, the link
http://www.papadimoulis.com/alex/mooncheese/data/mooncheese_wmp.html?20

cool or what?

Thantos
08-21-2004, 08:41 AM
Wow I was real impressed with the black screen

Wall
08-21-2004, 08:57 AM
Cool. But I know how to do it myself. ;)

<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">
body {
background-color:#000000;
}
</style>
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
document.write("fgewk);
// -->
</script>
</head>
</html>

Perspective
08-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Wow I was real impressed with the black screen

agreed. that is without a doubt the coolest black screen i have ever seen. In all my OpenGL days ive never had such quality black screen. im switching to jscript :p

sean
08-21-2004, 09:16 AM
I'm able to see it. Not bad, actually.

Thantos
08-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Well I loaded it up in IE and I got a rectangle with music and then it stopped loading. Weeeeee so cool

caroundw5h
08-21-2004, 11:38 AM
didn't work in Mozilla, but ran it in IE. pretty impressive actually if I was only done in javascript. A little slow though. but impressive.

JaWiB
08-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Who would have bothered putting all that together in Javascript! For me all it proves is Javascript is waaaaaay too slow for games :rolleyes:

Lurker
08-21-2004, 12:06 PM
No, actually that is about the maximum of what I would expect from Javascript. So no, this doesn't "blow me away", nor does it even remotely push me.

Cii
08-21-2004, 01:21 PM
someone has too much freaking time. and what exactly does that prove? the only reason that might be remotely impressive to me would be because I wouldnt know how to do it. but other than that, nope.

Thantos
08-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Well I finally decided to wait for it to load, it was pretty but since it failed to load on 2 of my 3 browers it gets a big fat 0

Perspective
08-21-2004, 01:24 PM
someone wanna post a screeny for us anti-IE people, i wanna see what all of the fuss is about. the fact that it only runs in IE has already tainted my opinion of it though ;)

Thantos
08-21-2004, 01:31 PM
I would but I can't bring myself to the horror again. If you want to take a look at the code without looking at the actual demo its at:
http://www.papadimoulis.com/alex/mooncheese/data/mooncheese.js

kermit
08-21-2004, 01:51 PM
I tried it on 5 different browsers - unfortunately it did not show anything but a black screen. 5 different browsers! I don't find that very impressive at all.

linuxdude
08-21-2004, 01:59 PM
In all my OpenGL days ive never had such quality black screen Great.
Oh and all I get is a black screen also. I guess it doesn't use standard JavaScript.

prog-bman
08-21-2004, 02:43 PM
That strait up sucked is all i have to say. Black screen in moz and missing images in IE(ewww). Boooooo on whoever wasted their time on that crap

VirtualAce
08-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Actually my new PC gamer mag says there are at least 2 games in development who are using Java. Java, IE Sun, is going to try to make Java the language of choice for programmer's because it's cross platform. However, I still feel that Java has a long way to go before any hard core C++'ers are going to switch to it. There is a new graphics API coming out specifically for Java and 2 complete retail games coming soon.

Should be interesting. If you are interested in the article its in the August issue of PC Gamer.

As for scripting languages being a good language for games.....must we revisit the same old topics again and again??

caroundw5h
08-21-2004, 05:37 PM
bubba: On the site it specifically said that it wasn't Java. It was javascript. So guess the op was just touting js.
As for rehasing:
not a big deal (http://www.pygame.org/projects/). Other scripting languages have pretty formidable capabilities too. but whatever....

Jeremy G
08-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Im surprised so many people are having problems with it. Ran great on mine. I don't doubt that it only runs on IE however.

BMJ
08-22-2004, 12:04 AM
I doubt many of you guys could write that in javascript. I was surprised that it ran as fast as it did.

PS: Works fine if you're using IE + SP2.