PDA

View Full Version : Virus in Commercial Download - Can anyone confirm this?

Davros
08-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi there,

Can some brave soul (WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING) check the download set-up file on this site:

http://www.viscomsoft.com/products/audiocdrip/

and tell me whether your virus checker flags it, as I am not sure whether I am getting a false positive from my virus checker. You'll find the download link at the bottom of the page.

Not too long ago I used this commercial component for a project. At the time my Anti Vir checker indicated nothing.

I have just changed my virus scanner to Avast and it is telling me that the setup file (which can be obtained from the above page) has a virus: Win32: Trojan-gen {Other}.

I have downloaded and ran other virus checkers on the file and they are telling me it is clear. I have ran Avast on my system and it says it is clear apart from this one file. I have also gone through my registry looking for anything nasty starting up when the OS starts and checked all my running processes - all clear. The fact that Avast is unspecific about the virus type suggests [to me] that the positive result could be based on a heuristic rather than a virus signiture.

Is this a false positive on behalf of Avast?

Thanks

RoD
08-03-2004, 04:48 PM
I hold a large amount of confidence in my Norton 2k3 install and i got nothing for flags.

Davros
08-03-2004, 04:51 PM
>i got nothing for flags

That was quick. Are you are saying that Norton says it is all clear?

RoD
08-03-2004, 05:00 PM
All clear!

Davros
08-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Good stuff! Thanks.

RoD
08-03-2004, 05:04 PM
No Problem.

alpha
08-03-2004, 05:07 PM
I tested it with AVG 6.0 Free, nothing showed up..