PDA

View Full Version : Any adivce for driver development?

Jeremy G
07-27-2004, 01:53 PM
I've got a personal project I'm trying to complete. And what it involves is taking and old Sega Konami Gun Control pad, converting to a com device and then developing a driver for it.

Basicly I plan on splicing the wire and removing the sega plug and replacing it with a usb or com port plug. After wards, I need to try and develop a driver for the device to handle input. I guess my questions and need for advice involve these questions -

Is it feasable to take some old console controller and convert it to usb by simply splicing the wires?

How can I develop a driver for a completly unknown device. Is there a way to poll a usb connection for any kind of signal or connection being sent? Then just develop some drivers to test that information?

Thanks for serious replys in advance.

Sang-drax
07-27-2004, 02:20 PM
No, it's not possible to make an USB device like that.

If I were you, I'd try to connect the game pad to the parallel or perhaps the serial port. They are simpler and it might work.

Please note that I don't know much about the subject, but I do know that SNES controllers can be connected to the paralell port.

Jeremy G
07-27-2004, 02:43 PM
No, it's not possible to make an USB device like that.

If I were you, I'd try to connect the game pad to the parallel or perhaps the serial port. They are simpler and it might work.

Please note that I don't know much about the subject, but I do know that SNES controllers can be connected to the paralell port.
Yeah, I kinda doubted it would work for a usb connection - but a com port should work.

chrismiceli
07-27-2004, 03:40 PM
I found this link, you might want to look at it:
http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=15;action=display;threadid=13808