View Full Version : US vs UK Conversion

07-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Is there a chart which converts UK(Under Graduate) Honours to equvalent US GPA...

In the UK a 82% is considered to be a first class honours so what is this in terms of GPA.. cant directly convert the 82% since the system is different and only a few percentage of the students manage to get above 80%..

And what are the requirements to get into the MSc programs run by the CMU, MIT and other such institutes in the US.... is GRE compulsory, if so is it CS GRE or the general one...

Any advice would be appreciated...

The official site does not discuss about the conversion..:(:(

07-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Well most colleges work off of a 4.0 scale GPA. Basically you get 4 points per unit for an A, 3 for a B, 2 for a C, 1 for a D, and 0 for an F. Take the total from that divide it by the number of units attempted and you have the GPA.

While its ultimatly up to the professor most use the following scale:
100% - 90% = A
89% - 80% = B
79% - 70% = C
69% - 60% = D
59% - 0% = F

As for what is required for honors, that is up to the school. I know some colleges require that you do community service and such to graduate with honors.

07-11-2004, 12:03 PM
thanks for the info
I think the % you have given is in regard with the US under graduate %.. how is the UK one valued with this regard.. Since the British system is harsher, I have heard that they calculate it differently but have no idea how...

07-11-2004, 12:32 PM
What I would do is to contact the international affairs office from the schools you are interested in. They would be able to tell you exactly what the school will accept, what they won't accept, and anything you need to do before being admitted.