PDA

View Full Version : Spanish speakers? ayuda!

Perspective
07-10-2004, 09:12 AM
anyone out there speak spanish? i just met this cute spanish girl and we've been out on a couple dates. i want to learn a couple lines of spanish for the next time we go out. So far my only spanish resource is babelfish :rolleyes: , but even that doesnt help me with pronounciation. anywho, if one of you spanish enlightened people out there want to help me learn how to tell my date she looks pretty or something like that, id be mucho appreciative. :)

vasanth
07-10-2004, 09:21 AM
try "usted parece feo"

joking.. dont u dare try that..

Perspective
07-10-2004, 09:35 AM
try "usted parece feo"

translation: "you seem ugly" :eek:

i dont think that would work out so well. for some reason i was expecting at least one response like that :D

sean
07-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Ugly in a masculine way. I did however notice that your girlfriend had large hands and an Adam's apple.

adrianxw
07-10-2004, 10:56 AM
I have completed my first year Spanish at night school. Unfortunately, the language I have learnt so far is only really useful if you want to conjugate verbs or other esoteric technical language stuff.

What I have done is bought the Michel Thomas (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340780673/qid=1089478498/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl/026-9032621-0158064) Spanish course, which is pretty good, but again, I don't know if he covers chat up lines - I'm only part way through the third CD!

incognito
07-10-2004, 12:35 PM
I know spanish........

A mi me encanta compartir contigo= I like to be with you, hang with you, w/e.
No dejo de pensar en ti= I can't stop thinking about you.

If you want anything else you ask.

bludstayne
07-10-2004, 02:50 PM
she does speak some english right? If not it'd make for some pretty.......awkward dates.

Perspective
07-10-2004, 03:00 PM
she does speak some english right? If not it'd make for some pretty.......awkward dates.
heh, yeah. she speaks english too, but spanish is her first (and most used) language.

@ incognito: thanks man! thats great. if i need more help ill post or PM you or somethin.

golfinguy4
07-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Chúpame

('Choo pa may)

Perspective
07-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Chúpame

('Choo pa may)

with a little re-arranging (chupa me) i got a babelfish translation of "it absorbs me"
what does this "chupa me" mean when used in conversation?

incognito
07-10-2004, 03:39 PM
lol that sounds more like "blow me" lmao@golfinguy

Perspective
07-10-2004, 03:42 PM

rofl, good thing i asked before using that one!! ....

gcn_zelda
07-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Chupa means suck.

Chupame would be suck me :P

Perspective
07-10-2004, 04:08 PM
Chupa means suck.

ohhhh yeah. i remember the CD store i use to work in sold those "Chupa-Chupa's" (little suckers) i guess they're really called "suck sucks".

adrianxw
07-10-2004, 04:11 PM
The fact that you'd got some dumb phrases to use indicates the lengths you have gone to to please her. A well meaning bad phrase with a good explanation may work well..... women are funny like that. They tend to understand.

It'll certanly give you things to talk about.

StinkyRyan
07-10-2004, 06:35 PM
tu eres muy bonita, anoche = you are very pretty, tonight
"two air-a-s m-oi bo-nita, a-no-che"

me gusta a estar con tu = i like to be with you
"ma gu-sta ah es-star con two"
->^ as in day

hope that helps, and remember be a gentleman around her, and dont use skeevy spanish phrases and you will be better off too

gcn_zelda
07-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Me gusta mirar a tu extremo. - I like to look at your butt. :P

I dunno. In case you get in a tight position.

Perspective
07-10-2004, 09:44 PM
tu eres muy bonita, anoche = you are very pretty, tonight
"two air-a-s m-oi bo-nita, a-no-che"

would it be "tu eres muy bonit[a/o] esta noche"
babelfish seems to think anoche == last night, while esta noche == tonight.

what the difference between ending in 'o' or 'a'? like bonita or bonito... babelfish cant tell the difference.

prog-bman
07-10-2004, 09:56 PM
The difference is masculinty(sp?) spanish has a masculine/femanine in its words. The words that end in o are ussally male while the ones that end in a are ussally female. i would use esta noche cause anoche is last night but you should really use. tu eres mirar muy bontia como siempre. which means you look pretty tonight like always :) .

StinkyRyan
07-10-2004, 10:58 PM
ya i failed spanish, but if you look at it in her perspective, it will make you look cute and innocent trying to please her even though you are making a fool of yourself :)

Perspective
07-10-2004, 11:00 PM
ya i failed spanish, but if you look at it in her perspective, it will make you look cute and innocent trying to please her even though you are making a fool of yourself :)

im sure no matter which line i try ill make a fool of myself :)

thanks for all the help everyone, ill let you know how it turns out the next time we go out. (might not be until next weekend though)

bludstayne
07-11-2004, 12:09 AM
good luck!

golfinguy4
07-11-2004, 11:39 AM

Hey, it almost worked. He almost used it.

It would have been even funnier if he got a "surprise" from her when she said ok.

Perspective
07-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Hey, it almost worked. He almost used it.

It would have been even funnier if he got a "surprise" from her when she said ok.

what do you mean almost used it? thats the first line i plan on using ;)

DrakkenKorin
07-12-2004, 06:35 AM
what i've also learned is that you have to be careful with colloquialisms, as they vary by region.

also, you say she's spanish - is that b/c she is from spain or b/c she speaks spanish?

might also help you to remember that some phrases/wordings in spanish (spoken primarily from those from the border region of mexico) differ from spanish (from spain or the interior of mexico).

Perspective
07-12-2004, 05:58 PM
what i've also learned is that you have to be careful with colloquialisms, as they vary by region.

also, you say she's spanish - is that b/c she is from spain or b/c she speaks spanish?

might also help you to remember that some phrases/wordings in spanish (spoken primarily from those from the border region of mexico) differ from spanish (from spain or the interior of mexico).

hmm, good point. She's from Argentina, i know spanish differs around the world but from my understanding, one form of spanish is understandable by the speaker of another form (in general). either way, its all for fun, ive said a few words in spanish and she just laughs and says "how do you know that?" As long as i dont try anything too complicated im sure i can get by without saying something like "my giraffe eats large televisions in the winter time" when i really mean "Hey, hows it going" :)