PDA

View Full Version : What do you Godless Communist foreigners say instead of "gas mileage"?

Govtcheez
07-03-2004, 09:56 AM
As I was sitting this morning, naked and hungover, my thoughts and anger shifted from the beer to the metric system, as they often do. I was wondering why the rest of the world hasn't caught up to us more-advanced Americans and started using Jesus's own measurement, the mile. Then, I started thinking about why you people insist upon referring to gas as "petrol" and my fury was too much; I had to post a thread.

So, what do all you backwards Europeaners call gas mileage? Actually calling it by its biblical name, "gas mileage" seems like it would go against your heathen religions of renaming everything cool that we make up. However, "petrol kilometerage" sounds, well, a little silly.

Answer me or I'll make RoD move to your country.

Prelude
07-03-2004, 10:01 AM
>and my fury was too much; I had to post a thread.
*uncontrollable laughter*

>So, what do all you backwards Europeaners call gas mileage?
I call it fuel economy, but I don't think I count as a "backwards Europeaner". :D

Personally, I find the metric system to be far more intuitive. Silly Americaners (:D) and their tendency to make things up as they go. ;) I'm sure glad I don't live in that twisted country. Oh, wait...I do...crap.

Thantos
07-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Answer me or I'll make RoD move to your country. While I'm sure we'd be glad to see him go I think it would violate the Geneva Convention. Something about germ and chemical warfare...

Salem
07-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Peh - wussy americans with their gallons
1 USG = 3.785 litres
1 UKG (the proper stuff) = 4.545 litres

Easy money, just improve your fuel economy by using bigger gallons.
20MPG in US gallons is 24MPG in UK gallons :)

Mind you, calling something which is liquid a 'gas' is always gonna lead to confusion.

In case of further query - try http://www.metric-conversions.org/

adrianxw
07-03-2004, 11:08 AM
We quote kilometres per litre when discussing fuel economy.

Govtcheez
07-03-2004, 11:13 AM
We quote kilometres per litre when discussing fuel economy.
haha, "re". Learn how to spell, Europist!
Easy money, just improve your fuel economy by using bigger gallons.Typical Britishers, sneaking around and cheating the system. Jesus designed the gallon for the good of the US of A, so don't think you can just go changing measurements that ARE IN THE BIBLE to fit your evil plans.
Personally, I find the metric system to be far more intuitive. OK there, Benedict Prelude!
While I'm sure we'd be glad to see him go I think it would violate the Geneva Convention. Something about germ and chemical warfare...Ha! Like the Geneva Convention applies to Euopeaners. They've got nothing to do with the Geneva Convention. We just named it the Geneva Convention to sound more foreign so those damn lie-berals in uptown Manhattan wouldn't whine so much (like anyone could stop their whining).

Perspective
07-03-2004, 11:21 AM
in canada we just call it "clicks" (short for kilometers). so people talk about getting x "clicks" to the litre.

Govtcheez
07-03-2004, 11:26 AM
in canada we just call it "clicks" (short for kilometers). so people talk about getting x "clicks" to the litre.
Clicks? What are you, some sort of bush person?

Thantos
07-03-2004, 11:29 AM
me thinkith someone is still drunkith

whackaxe
07-03-2004, 11:34 AM
good on him :) i'll go and have a pint myself, if only the pint existed in France :(

Govtcheez
07-03-2004, 11:39 AM
me thinkith someone is still drunkith
Nope. Just having a little bit of fun. Is that alright with you, or would you prefer to be on the Commie side with Benedict Prelude?

Actually, your extra "iths" betray your Latin origin. Back to Latinia with you! I hope you enjoy your horseless carriages that get 1.4 cubits to the thimble!

Thantos
07-03-2004, 11:44 AM
You can try to send me back, but my phalanx of minons will stop you. Unless of course you bring naked women, then well who knows what will happen.

sean
07-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Having lived on both sides of the argument here, I'd have to say that while the metric system is more intuitive, I would choose the US system anyday. And I believe Prelude is right - it is "fuel economy". And I don't even know why the Geneva Convention still exists. African armies use Napalm all the time on their own people and nobody seems to care.

ZerOrDie
07-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Having lived on both sides of the argument here, I'd have to say that while the metric system is more intuitive, I would choose the US system anyday. And I believe Prelude is right - it is "fuel economy". And I don't even know why the Geneva Convention still exists. African armies use Napalm all the time on their own people and nobody seems to care.

No one cares because they dont have any oil.

Govtcheez
07-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Hey guys, that seriousness has no place here.

Thantos
07-03-2004, 09:46 PM
: sends the Judean People's Front crack suicide squad after Govtcheez and orders his minons to take out sean_mackrory and ZerOrDie :

Govtcheez
07-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Send the People's Front of Judea instead.

DavidP
07-03-2004, 11:04 PM
psh....Judeans...

the Goons of DavidP are sooo much better....

Thantos
07-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Pfft don't make me release my rabbit of doom (http://arago4.tn.utwente.nl/stonedead/main.html)

skorman00
07-04-2004, 01:27 AM
good to know there are python fans on the board! (the monty sort, not that silly language)

Anyway, there's a reason why the American system is known as "standard" or "traditional." My car gets 20160 rods to the hogshead and thats the way I likes it!

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/

Jeremy G
07-04-2004, 02:02 AM
>and my fury was too much; I had to post a thread.
*uncontrollable laughter*

>So, what do all you backwards Europeaners call gas mileage?
I call it fuel economy, but I don't think I count as a "backwards Europeaner". :D

Personally, I find the metric system to be far more intuitive. Silly Americaners (:D) and their tendency to make things up as they go. ;) I'm sure glad I don't live in that twisted country. Oh, wait...I do...crap.

INTUITIVE!!!!!?????
10km is roughly 6 miles, why dont they just say 6 miles?

Shakti
07-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Because 6 miles isnt 10 kilometers, 6.2137119223733395 miles is 10 kilometers so why not say 10 kilometers instead of bothering about a bunch of decimals? If we mean 10 kilometers we don't mean 9.656064 km (that is 6 miles), so 6 miles wont be good enough.

Salem
07-04-2004, 02:39 AM
> My car gets 20160 rods to the hogshead and thats the way I likes it!
Man, I so mis-read that as "RoD is a hogshead" ;)
So how fast is your "vee-hee-cule" in furlongs per fortnight?
http://itotd.com/index.alt?ArticleID=169

> Typical Britishers, sneaking around and cheating the system. Jesus designed the gallon for the good of the US of A
We were using gallons long before you managed to get a "U" into your name

And don't forget, the "A" is named after, how shall I put this - A EUROPEAN
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_021.html

And this language which you've managed to maul, is called English.
Do you have anything which you can call your own?

Just in case you make just a big a mess this november as you did 4 years ago, this still applies
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/6174/jokes/notice-revocation-independence-nov2000.htm

whackaxe
07-04-2004, 03:26 AM
yeh, your country was founded by religeous extremeists escaping prosecution! and were helped by the...(wait for it)... French.

I pwn j00 all

long live kilometers, the decimal and easy to calculate way!

Govtcheez
07-04-2004, 08:15 AM
> Typical Britishers, sneaking around and cheating the system. Jesus designed the gallon for the good of the US of A
We were using gallons long before you managed to get a "U" into your name

And don't forget, the "A" is named after, how shall I put this - A EUROPEAN
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_021.html

And this language which you've managed to maul, is called English.
Do you have anything which you can call your own?

Look, you and your "facts" and "links" and "fancy talk" can go straight to hell.

nvoigt
07-04-2004, 09:48 AM
>We quote kilometres per litre when discussing fuel economy.

We quote liters per 100 kilometers. I personally have a car that drains a full tank a week. Thats all measurement I need. :D

whackaxe
07-04-2004, 10:13 AM
i have a public transport pass. ha!

Felix
07-04-2004, 01:03 PM
God bless USA :rolleyes:

Life of brian was quite fun. Lame suicide squad. Or the rock throwing scene.

Govtcheez
07-04-2004, 01:15 PM
I hate your sprouts.

Clyde
07-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Ah thank you, i always wondered how much more atheistic than Jesus i was, now i know: 2.4 quadrillion times.

Edit: So does that mean if you lined up 2.4 quadrillion jesus' they would collectively be as atheistic as me?

*Pictures, zillions of jesus' walking around saying "I don't exist!"*