PDA

View Full Version : if your good, you can't debug

Perspective
06-30-2004, 02:16 PM
i came accross this quote, i thought some of you may find it entertaining...

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan

Jeremy G
06-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Thats why I write perfect code that doesn't need debugging instead.

Prelude
06-30-2004, 07:13 PM
It's a rather old quote, but accurate even today and everyone should learn it. :) In fact, I think Dave_Sinkula (or someone else I know) has it in his signature.

gcn_zelda
06-30-2004, 07:59 PM
That quote applies to me. Does that mean I'm a good programmer?

whackaxe
07-01-2004, 03:39 AM
applies to me too. but it probably means my apps are to trivial to debug right now (does debug mean we are using a debugger, or does it mean debugging in general?)

Jeremy G
07-01-2004, 05:31 AM
I'll trade you reputations prelude.

ober
07-01-2004, 06:05 AM
I personally think that if you don't have to debug, you're either a genius and think of EVERYTHING on the first go, or your programs aren't complex enough to give you problems.

OR, you never compile it ;)

ober
07-01-2004, 06:08 AM
And ya know... people always say "if buildings were built like software, they would fall apart and leak all the time". Well guess how many revisions building plans go through and how many engineers look at an architects work before the construction crew hits the site? I don't know about you all, but I don't have anyone leaning over my shoulder asking me how my program handles every single combination of faults.

gcn_zelda
07-01-2004, 12:03 PM
I'll trade you reputations prelude.
I bet you'll trade anybody reputations :P

Thantos
07-01-2004, 01:09 PM
There are a few people with lower reps

adrianxw
07-01-2004, 01:13 PM
So why do they ask me to debug other peoples code?

maes
07-01-2004, 01:35 PM
So why do they ask me to debug other peoples code?
because it's a boring thing to do :p

sean
07-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Speaking of reputations, I've gotta be missing something. Other than the button on the left, "Add to so&so's reputation" and the "Latest Reputation Recieved" list under User CP, what else is involved in the reputation system.

Thantos
07-01-2004, 04:51 PM
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=51126&highlight=reputation
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=53377&highlight=reputation
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/showthread.php?t=53146&highlight=reputation

:)

Perspective
07-02-2004, 07:00 PM
...what else is involved in the reputation system.

i wish i knew. it seems that if someone disagrees with you, that makes you a less reputable person on this site. I got bad rep for starting this thread. Because some didnt like the quote/post, i become a less reputable member of this community. Things like that just make me think twice about sharing my thoughts and expressing my opinions on the board, which totaly defeats the purpose of discussion.

im not saying im against the rep system, its a great idea when its used responsibly. Its just frustrating when people try to put you down because they have a difference of opinion. </rant>