PDA

View Full Version : Dual boot questions?

Stan100
06-25-2004, 04:50 PM
Do all versions of linux, can they run dual boot. I'm sorry, I know little to nothing about linux. I heard slackware doesn't force you to repartition your drive. Is this right?

linuxdude
06-25-2004, 06:47 PM
yes. and you mean all distrobutions. Heck it doesn't even have to be linux you could have win98 and win2000.... as long as it is the same architecture. ex: x86 or sparc...

I heard slackware doesn't force you to repartition your drive. Is this right? I woudn't think so. They always have to be separate, because they are different filesystems. That is why you can't have linux use the free space of windows.

Stan100
06-26-2004, 08:11 AM
Alright, so how do I partition my drive? I saw some software, but I hope there's a free way too. I saw some cpmlicated setup for slackware too. You gotta know your monitor's refresh rate etc?

Does anyone do dual boot windows/linux (prefeably slackware), that can shed some light?

linuxdude
06-26-2004, 06:35 PM
knowing your monitor's refresh rate isn't hard. I don't memorize mine i look it up everytime. Though I have never seen a partitioner ask for that information. For disk resizing(nondestructive) look here (http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/) ,but if it is NTFS, you aren't going to be able to use that program. If you feel ambitious and want to format, I recommend fdisk. I would think you will have trouble finding a free linux NTFS partitioner(I dont' think it exists). Maybe windows has one installed under their system tools section.

StinkyRyan
06-26-2004, 07:19 PM
First of all slackware is for advanced linux users and if you can't even partition your drive you shouldn't use it, pick up an easier version like mandrake or redhat; they come with easy to use programs to partition your drive.

linuxdude
06-26-2004, 08:10 PM
I don't really agree with what the above post said. Linux is linux. I haven't heard of slackware being hard. I recommend he go for it.

Stan100
06-27-2004, 01:31 PM
First of all slackware is for advanced linux users and if you can't even partition your drive you shouldn't use it, pick up an easier version like mandrake or redhat; they come with easy to use programs to partition your drive.

Yeah, but I believe in diving in head first.

Besides, help me, and I'll send you a GMail invite. Check out account Stan100 if you don't believe me.