PDA

View Full Version : Buying laptop need info of internet sites and brand

nipun
06-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Hi,
I wanted to buy a new laptop preferabbly HP (since I had that before and am very happy with the service )

I was looking at some internet sites from where I could buy ( I looked at Best BUy and Circuit City but I wanted to look at other "reliable" places (internet fraud problems...) ( I am trying to keep the price below 1200 ) I don't think company websites are a good idea as they are expensive and I don't like DELL as I have seen people around having bad experiences in serivce and hardware

Also how are these brands "Averatec" and "Compaq"

if any of you can give some suggestions based on their personal experience it would be great

Nipun

ober
06-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Compaq is garbage. Dell is honestly probably the best computer out there for the service/deals/hardware. I hate to recommend them, but other manufacturers have failed to raise the bar higher.

XSquared
06-16-2004, 01:20 PM
I plan on getting a laptop soon, and I've heard that Toshiba's support network is far better than Dell. With Dell, you have to send the laptop away to get it fixed, whereas with Toshiba, they have a lot of different service outlets you can go to.

ober
06-16-2004, 01:29 PM
wait wait wait... let me take back what I said... I forgot we were talking about laptops here. My apologies.

For the love of God, don't get a Dell Laptop. Desktops are good, laptops are crap from them. My personal recommendation for laptops is Sony.

golfinguy4
06-16-2004, 01:40 PM
IBM makes good laptops, but they can be quite pricey. Toshiba and Sony also make good laptops if you can find one in your price range.

DavidP
06-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Gateways are good as well.

but please dont get a Compaq...those things are horrid...*shudders*

There is also always the option of an iBook :)

vasanth
06-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Sony ones are really good.. I bought one recently and have never regreted... It is much better than the ones my friends have from Toshiba, compaq ets even in terms of service and support...

Some of the newer models even have a TV tuner card built in and the new Onyx Black screen from Sony is tops... check it out... and have a look at the sony factory outlet sale... Some laptops are refurbished and reallly cheap...

major_small
06-17-2004, 09:24 AM
I plan on getting a laptop soon, and I've heard that Toshiba's support network is far better than Dell. With Dell, you have to send the laptop away to get it fixed, whereas with Toshiba, they have a lot of different service outlets you can go to.Dell sends people to your home... they only make you send in the unit when teh tech can't do anything about it... my dad works for banctec, which used to hold exclusive rights to maintaining Dell PCs... now they have to share those rights with other companies...

DrakkenKorin
06-17-2004, 10:13 AM
...There is also always the option of an iBook :)
i be loving my iBook and my g4

exluddite
06-17-2004, 10:30 AM
After dealing with some customer service folks (Dell included) I've decided that if I were to buy a set up from one of these folks, I'd call their customer service before I made a purchase. Then I'd give them a question like "I can't seem to get windows open" and see if I get "I'm going to tell you how to reformat your hard drive" as a response.

EvBladeRunnervE
06-17-2004, 11:04 AM
I would suggest IBM computers as from what I have heard, and from personal experience, they have always been very top notch in performance/reliability/battery life. The price range on them is only from(this is from a couple months ago) something like ~400 dollars more for the equivalent.