PDA

View Full Version : 0byte .exe files..

Marc
05-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Has anyone else noticed that if you create a new text file or whatever, then rename it to whatever.exe, so its 0 bytes you can not delete it?

This happened to me on my Windows XP machine.
I asked a friend to try it on his Win 2000 machine and it couldnt be deleted on that either.

I had to close explorer.exe process and delete them from within the console.

I know its a nonsense post but why the hell does this happen?

XSquared
05-29-2004, 12:33 PM
It works fine for me. I can delete them without problems.

nvoigt
05-30-2004, 12:00 AM
You are right, when I create a new txt file and rename it to whatever.exe, I cannot delete it because the file is in use. I have all available patches and no background processes like virus scanners playing around with my files. Strange.

If you close the explorer, it's no longer in use and you can delete it normally.

:confused:

pianorain
05-30-2004, 09:32 AM
I didn't have this problem. It worked fine for me.

TravisS
05-30-2004, 01:02 PM
I haven't had this problem myself, but one of my friends did. He wrote a simple program that copied files, and whenever he copied an empty text file and renamed it to .exe the file could not be deleted. Assumed it was the fault of the prorgam, not Windows!

Lurker
05-30-2004, 04:52 PM
I can easily delete them without problems.

lightatdawn
05-31-2004, 12:17 AM
Hmm. Happens to me too. I figured it would. My system occasionally refuses to allow deletion of executable files. Most commonly they're installers (although this is probably a falsely measured statistic since I'd imagine that installers are the most commonly deleted exe). The most common solution is to reboot, then immediatly delete the offending file. Moving, or otherwise manipulating the file will cause it become undeletable again.

I have no idea why this occures. I'm 100% virus free, w/o spyware or strange apps of any kind. These all appear to be entirely XP based issues.

nvoigt
05-31-2004, 08:28 AM
>These all appear to be entirely XP based issues.

I run 2K SP4.

Tested it with an out-of-the-box Win2003 EE Server with the latest patches and I could delete it without problems.

Lurker
05-31-2004, 04:23 PM
For me, I sometimes can't delete folders. I have to restart - even when the folders are completly empty.

Davros
06-01-2004, 01:43 PM
>then rename it to whatever.exe, so its 0 bytes you can not delete it?

Sounds interesting. But I won't risk it. I won't sleep tonight knowing there is a file on my HD I can't delete. :)

What really annoys me is every time I switch themes in XP, the Windows sounds are reset to the intensly irritating M$ default sound. As I test out applications under different themes, I have to do it a lot. Drives me crackers.

bludstayne
06-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Sounds interesting. But I won't risk it. I won't sleep tonight knowing there is a file on my HD I can't delete
You could always rename it back to a txt file and then delete it.

nvoigt
06-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Once you had this phenomenon, you can't rename it either with the same error message.

You can close the explorer and delete it manually from a shell though. :rolleyes:

maes
06-02-2004, 11:15 AM
sometimes when I can't delete a file I create an extra empty txt file.
then I select them both and I'm able to delete both of them at the same time.

It doesn't work always

BTW, I can delete the 0 byte exe file with no problem. (winXP with complete windows update )