PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do....

Lurker
05-24-2004, 10:13 AM
For the last two years, I've wanted to be either a webmaster or a computer programmer. I've gone from Javascript to advanced C++ and game programming in an extremely short amount of time, and I think I've gotten relatively good at it. Lately, however, I've gotten into a new hobby: languages. I'm learning Russian, planning to learn German next, and I just saw The Last Samurai so now I want to learn Japanese :) . This seems like a strange question to me, but I'll throw it out here anyway: is there any good field where computer sciences and linguistics meet, or am I stuck at a fork in the road with no third path? Thanks for any ideas :D !

Thantos
05-24-2004, 10:17 AM
When life puts you at a fork with no third path, get out the plow and make one :)

DavidP
05-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Actually you are not alone. A large chunk of computer programmers (including myself) are very highly interested in learning foreign languages because it is very similar to learning a new computer language like C++, Java, BASIC, Pascal, or Cobol.

Also, if you really want to do a mix of linguistics and programming, you could work on some phonetics program or something that recognizes or recreates some phonetic sounds.

Or you could write online dictionaries ;)

ober
05-24-2004, 10:41 AM
I'm sure there is a need for bilingual programmers... although, for the most part, code is written in english... the need for someone like yourself would come in when a firm that doesn't speak english needs a programmer. You could translate their thoughts into programs.

Lurker
05-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks all - so far, really good ideas!

learning foreign languages because it is very similar to learning a new computer language like C++, Java, BASIC, Pascal, or Cobol.

The only similar thing between learning something like C and learning something like Japanese is the fact that they are both languages. Other than that, there are absolutely no similarites.

Thantos
05-24-2004, 01:36 PM
I think what DavidP was getting at is that the same trait that allows many to learn multiple programming languages is the same trait that allows people to learn foreign languages.

I think to some degree it is true but I know for me learning english properly is hard enough, learning a foreign language is going to take me a lot of work. But learning another programming language is cake.

Russell
05-24-2004, 04:45 PM
For the last two years, I've wanted to be either a webmaster or a computer programmer. I've gone from Javascript to advanced C++ and game programming in an extremely short amount of time, and I think I've gotten relatively good at it. Lately, however, I've gotten into a new hobby: languages. I'm learning Russian, planning to learn German next, and I just saw The Last Samurai so now I want to learn Japanese :) . This seems like a strange question to me, but I'll throw it out here anyway: is there any good field where computer sciences and linguistics meet, or am I stuck at a fork in the road with no third path? Thanks for any ideas :D !
It's obvious: you're a faddist.

What next, needlepoint? =b

Perspective
05-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Languages and computers meet at the very popular research area of NLP (natural language processing) and translators. A very interesting feild.

btw: if you need any help with your japanese just PM me ;) watashi wa nihongo o hanasemasuyo.

Jeremy G
05-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Obviously there is a field involving programming and languages and it's a fairly obvious one..

Interpritation. Write a program that interprits words from one language to another. My try it with words are first, but definatly move onto voice analysis and doing it phonetically as already mentioned.

Lurker
05-24-2004, 07:31 PM
btw: if you need any help with your japanese just PM me ;) watashi wa nihongo o hanasemasuyo.

Wanting to learn Japanese and starting it are two different things, but when I do start, I will consider that, thanks :D .

Dante Shamest
05-24-2004, 07:37 PM
If you want to learn Japanese, just watch lots of anime. :)

golfinguy4
05-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Encuentra una lengua nueve.

major_small
05-25-2004, 09:25 AM
I'm sure there is a need for bilingual programmers... although, for the most part, code is written in english...the code is written in english, but the output should be in the native language of the country the program will be running in ;)

Thantos
05-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Bah the output should always be in pig latin :)

major_small
05-25-2004, 09:34 AM
any real programmer would use l337 sp34k d00d3rz

exluddite
05-25-2004, 12:05 PM
Seems to me that after you write the software, someone has to sell it (and offer support, etc.). Having a second languge (or third) might just go a long way towards opening up doors by speaking their language instead of expecting them to know english. And as was already mentioned, if they're going to use your stuff (and they don't speak english), someone is going to have to translate everything.