PDA

View Full Version : Free emails

Victor
05-22-2004, 05:33 AM
Hi!
I'm new here so I'd like to say hello ;) I'm from Poland so my English may not be very good.
What do you think if there were for example free email account when you bought something in the shop, e.g. for each bottle of vodka :D [don't tell polish jokes] you'd get a free email account or a 1/2/3 months of using it? Do you think it's a good idea? Have there even been something like that it West Europe or USA?

vasanth
05-22-2004, 08:09 AM
Well i dont think the idea will go well.. The reason is when people can already get free mail accounts why would they buy something to get a free mail account...

RoD
05-22-2004, 09:44 AM
no offense but thats going to get my "stupid idea of the week" award.

Victor
05-22-2004, 11:17 AM
(maybe I've written it wrong - this would be profesional email account [but with a bit smaler quota], much better then this on yahoo)
There are few reasons why they could be better:
1. No "bonus" emails (advertising something) ;>
2. No ads in emails
3. Anti spam /anit virus
4. No limits e.g. size of attachment

(temporary I don't have a email box on American server but on polish so I can be a bit wrong...)

vasanth
05-22-2004, 11:37 AM
hmmm... still i wouldnt be interested..... Hotmail comes with anti spam, antivirus and stuff........ and with the introduction of gmail.. it iwll have 1000 MB space and more features .. and i dont care if i get some ad on top..

DavidP
05-22-2004, 11:54 AM
my friend has a gmail account right now. he is beta testing it. he informed me of a current bug in it. right now, accidentally, all users are getting 1 Terrabyte of space instead of 1 Gigabyte.

jverkoey
05-22-2004, 07:36 PM
one terabyte? I don't even have that much space in my house....you could use google as a storage area almost

unanimous
05-22-2004, 08:07 PM
The problem with the accoutn being for a certain number of months would be that you would have to inform everyone of your changing address. Maybe if everytime you bought a bottle of vodka it would extend your registration by a month it would work, but maybe it would work better as a McDonalds promotion, they do all sorts of strange things. Though it would be nice to get a free email address with every happy meal.

jverkoey
05-22-2004, 10:45 PM
it'd be nice if they gave away webspace that way :) a half meg of webspace for one year for every meal you buy or something like that

ober
05-24-2004, 07:24 AM
That's just plain stupid. What if you don't want to buy a bottle of vodka that month? Or what if you switch to another store for your vodka? Or what if you go on vacation? How do you handle late "payments"? Your email account would get switched off and then what? Everyone trying to email you would get server errors. And who wants a "temporary" email address. That would just ........ me off if I had to keep updating my address book for someone.

Russell
05-24-2004, 07:49 AM
The last thing people want is a massive collection of e-mail accounts, free or not.

You must remember that when one changes their e-mail account, they must notify everyone in the contacts and this is just flatout redundant.

Not a good idea: I don't know anyone who would be interested.

codec
05-24-2004, 07:58 AM
my friend has a gmail account right now. he is beta testing it. he informed me of a current bug in it. right now, accidentally, all users are getting 1 Terrabyte of space instead of 1 Gigabyte.

Slashdot even carried a story on this before the problem was fixed.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/05/19/1219219&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=137&tid=198&tid=217&tid=95

unanimous
05-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Well if every company that did this got together and you would keep extending your account or adding more space with each purchase then you wouldn't have to worry about having many accounts. This wouldn't make me want ot buy a product anymore than I already do but with some work it may be a very good marketing strategy.