PDA

View Full Version : Games and XP

Korn1699
11-15-2001, 08:00 AM
I am posting this because I know a lot of people who have XP, and they can't get games to run or they don't run very well. I also have a friend who doesn't have this problem. I would try and figure it out myself, but I didn't get it installed yet. Could everyone with XP please try to help me out about why some computers with it work and some don't work very well when running games.

basilisk
11-15-2001, 08:43 AM
i've run xp for some time and havent had any problems with it running games - the ones i have tried on it are:
half life
half life - opposing force
counterstrike
project igi
swat3
anachronox
BG2
zeus
startopia
deus ex

i think the main problem that people got with games playing is that they dont download the latest graphics drivers for their video cards and just stick with the xp version. for example nvidia have brought out a new detonator driver for use with their cards which resolves some issues with xp

Korn1699
11-15-2001, 08:52 AM
Well that is what I thought. I also read something somewhere about that direct 3d will need to be reinstalled but everyone I know either doesn't know what that is or doesn't think it would matter

Unregistered
11-15-2001, 10:17 AM
games take up a lot of system resources
XP demands a lot more
ARE THE COMPUTERS IN QUESTION UP TO IT??

Sall

Cheeze-It
11-15-2001, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Korn1699
I am posting this because I know a lot of people who have XP, and they can't get games to run or they don't run very well. I also have a friend who doesn't have this problem. I would try and figure it out myself, but I didn't get it installed yet. Could everyone with XP please try to help me out about why some computers with it work and some don't work very well when running games.

Are they DOS games? Apparently XP doesn't emulate
DOS too well. Here's an article about WinXP
and Gaming:

Gamespy Article: WinXp and Gaming (http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/september01/winxpgaming/index2.shtm)

Korn1699
11-15-2001, 12:35 PM
yeah their computers are up to it and these are newer games, so they shouldn't be for dos