PDA

View Full Version : Worlds most annoying banner ever

lightatdawn
05-12-2004, 09:58 PM
It talks, gaddangit! For a live demo, head on over to lycos (http://login.mail.lycos.com/) and pass your cursor over the banner. I've attached a picture in case some of you dont recieve the same banner I do. Its been around over a week now...

Anybody know how to suppress this foul, intrusive, obnoxious behavior? Normally I dont even notice them, but since lycos is my homepage, I have to skirt around the blasted thing just to open my bookmarks. I'll be writing an e-mail to lycos about it as well. Anybody else experience any crap like this before?

loopy
05-12-2004, 10:23 PM
I vote you download a browser with a popup blocking feature, mozilla has it, or my favorite, firefox.

http://www.mozilla.org

major_small
05-12-2004, 10:41 PM
I didn't see it, but then again I forgot I was using mozilla until I read loopy's post... and I have a firewall running that blocks them for when i'm using IE as well...

lightatdawn
05-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Oops. My bad on the title. Its not a popup, its a banner. Guess I wasnt thinking when I titled the thead...

[Magic Mod Powers] There; Fixed it. [/Magic Mod Powers].

My browser already supports popup suppression and I havent seen one in eons. Too bad that I'm still subjected to audio assault.

loopy
05-14-2004, 12:17 AM
Oops. My bad on the title. Its not a popup, its a banner. Guess I wasnt thinking when I titled the thead...

[Magic Mod Powers] There; Fixed it. [/Magic Mod Powers].

My browser already supports popup suppression and I havent seen one in eons. Too bad that I'm still subjected to audio assault.

You can still blocks those, in 'firefox' I deselected javascript and java in options, its gone for me. : )

lightatdawn
05-14-2004, 01:53 AM
Ah yes. Doing so under Mozilla, does indeed remove all banners. However it also removes several key features of my e-mail page, and destroys several aspects of a couple websites. Too bad I dont have more control over _which_ aspects of javascript I want disabled.

How about under Firefox? Mozilla has a small selection of javascript "features" you can specifically disable. Launching audio snippets is not one of them. Anybody elses browsers support further control of this?

loopy
05-14-2004, 02:00 AM
Ah yes. Doing so under Mozilla, does indeed remove all banners. However it also removes several key features of my e-mail page, and destroys several aspects of a couple websites. Too bad I dont have more control over _which_ aspects of javascript I want disabled.

How about under Firefox? Mozilla has a small selection of javascript "features" you can specifically disable. Launching audio snippets is not one of them. Anybody elses browsers support further control of this?

firefox gives the options to:

Move or resize existing windows
Raise or lower windows
Hide the status bar
Change status bar text
Change images

:(

lightatdawn
05-14-2004, 02:35 AM
Mozilla:

Open a link in a new window
Move or resize existing window
Raise or lower windows
Hide the status bar
Change status bar text
Change images
Create or change cookies
Read cookies

No sound options damnit!

This is the first banner I've seen that does this. I cower in fear over an internet which pummels me with a barrage of annoying noisey advertisements everywhere I go. I suppose since the widespread use of popup blockers, advertisers need a new way to digitally smack us in the face. I dont want to have to turn my music/speakers off just to grab some info from my precious intraweb. ;)

loopy
05-14-2004, 02:53 AM
Mozilla:

Open a link in a new window
Move or resize existing window
Raise or lower windows
Hide the status bar
Change status bar text
Change images
Create or change cookies
Read cookies

No sound options damnit!

This is the first banner I've seen that does this. I cower in fear over an internet which pummels me with a barrage of annoying noisey advertisements everywhere I go. I suppose since the widespread use of popup blockers, advertisers need a new way to digitally smack us in the face. I dont want to have to turn my music/speakers off just to grab some info from my precious intraweb. ;)

Fight for us lightatdawn!!!!!

: - )

Yoshi
05-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Ad-Block anyone? (http://adblock.mozdev.org/) :mad:

Lugtz
10-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Ad-Block anyone? (http://adblock.mozdev.org/) :mad:
I've beeing using AdBlock for a few months now, and I love it tremendously.

quzah
10-20-2004, 08:27 PM
You could always just have a worthwile userContent.css file for firefox, and have it snip out all the banners while leaving the rest in tact. Or maybe it's just me...

Quzah.

Thantos
10-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Way to bump an old thread :rolleyes:

kermi3
10-20-2004, 10:49 PM
agreed