PDA

View Full Version : What's a job as a systems administrator like?

Terrance
05-08-2004, 01:42 PM
I was curious, for those of you who have worked as a systems administrator, what you liked about your job. I've declared myself a cis major, and I feel that I would enjoy a job position as an administrator.

I'm looking for a job that offers reasonable hours, where I can interact with others in an office enviroment, and use my problem solving skills. Does a systems administrator position sound like a good fit? And what have been your likes/dislikes working as an administrator?

Kip Neuhart
05-09-2004, 06:46 AM
I was curious, for those of you who have worked as a systems administrator, what you liked about your job. I've declared myself a cis major, and I feel that I would enjoy a job position as an administrator.

I'm looking for a job that offers reasonable hours, where I can interact with others in an office enviroment, and use my problem solving skills. Does a systems administrator position sound like a good fit? And what have been your likes/dislikes working as an administrator?
Unless "reasonable hours" for you means before sunrise until whenever you feel you can safely abandon your mountain of work after everyone else has left then the hours are brutal. You do get to work with others in an office environment. That much is assured because they will interrupt you constantly with an "urgent" problem that you could ignore in favor of more important business if they weren't constantly hounding you. On a positive note, you will be solving problems on a regular basis, and if you can handle the stress, it's a very rewarding (though often thankless) job.

loopy
05-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Its da bomb. ;D

adrianxw
05-09-2004, 08:37 AM
No way I would take a system or network admin job. Constant stream of petty stupid problems, which are of course huge to those that have them. The endless politics of restoring the bosses file which he incompetnently lost ahead of the important server disk space crisis. The endless late nights/weekends caused by maintenance/upgrades needing to be done without impacting the normal working hours.

Yuck.