PDA

View Full Version : Strange, No discussion about this!!!!

vasanth
05-02-2004, 04:18 AM
I do not intend to start a flame war or anything.. And i dont(at present) support any of the parties either... I agree it might be a few rouge elements.. whats your opinion on this....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1207569,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3675215.stm

adrianxw
05-02-2004, 07:47 AM
There is considerable doubt that the pictures are real, ideed, it has been suggested that they were produced by Iraqi sources to drum up hatred.

One of several stories about it can be seen here. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3678221.stm)

spoon_
05-02-2004, 09:01 AM
If they are real, they need to be punished severely. No doubt about that. Although someone on the news, forgot who it was, mentioned that they (the people who abused the prisoners) should be tried as War Criminals. What do you think about that?

Dante Shamest
05-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Atrocities happen in wars. Accept it. Even if you punish people in this war, they'll still commit atrocities in the next.

Don't want war atrocities to happen? Don't start the war in the first place.

Clyde
05-02-2004, 10:10 AM
Don't want war atrocities to happen?

.... do the words "Geneva convention" mean anything to you?

Dante Shamest
05-02-2004, 10:12 AM
.... do the words "Geneva convention" mean anything to you?

Yeah, its a joke. War atrocities still happen (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3627377.stm). A piece of paper doesn't prevent war atrocities from happening. It only "promises" to punish those that commit them.

Clyde
05-02-2004, 10:32 AM
War atrocities still happen.

I don't doubt they happen, but for heavens sake we should not expect them to be commited by Western countries who are supposedly more responsible, the fact that the soldiers claimed that they had never been told about the Geneva convention is ridiculous beyond belief.

Your absurd message of "accept it" is beyond reprehensible, don't bloody accept it, STOP IT.

Dante Shamest
05-02-2004, 10:41 AM
I don't doubt they happen, but for heavens sake we should not expect them to be commited by Western countries who are supposedly more responsible

Western countries...more responsible? I guess you're right. I just thought they started wars. I mean..."pre-emptive" strikes.

Your absurd message of "accept it" is beyond reprehensible, don't bloody accept it, STOP IT.

The only way to stop war atrocities, is to stop the wars from happening in the first place.

nvoigt
05-02-2004, 10:41 AM
If you send out armed forces to kill, maim, hurt and mutilate other people, it shouldn't come as a surprise that a few of those killers will urinate on and punch their enemies even if they surrendered.

While I don't think it's acceptable, it was to be expected. There is no clean war, whatever pictures of computer guided weapons may show. There's always a human pulling the trigger somewhere. Punish those that can be caught and proceed. It has happened, it does happen and it will happen in future wars.

War is hell.
-Sherman

UnregdRegd
05-02-2004, 01:03 PM
The only way to stop war atrocities, is to stop the wars from happening in the first place.

Indeed! But sometimes it's necessary to go to war to protect the homeland. Saddam Hussein was a clear menace to his neighbors, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, as well as a threat to the United States of America and other Western countries.

However, I think civilized nations need to follow civilized conduct in war and peace. We have laws against rape and murder in peace; we should have international standards against torture and wanton destruction in war. Our goal in Iraq is to establish a peace-loving, pro-U.S./West order, not to urinate on the opposition.

Xterria
05-02-2004, 02:09 PM
yeah, i'm sure terrorists follow geneva.
way to go UK!

adrianxw
05-02-2004, 03:06 PM
I see everyone has assumed the pictures are genuine and are now arguing the rights and wrongs of action which in all probability never happened.

Typical. Believe the media hype.

vasanth
05-02-2004, 05:39 PM
way to go UK!

well as adrianxw pointed out it might not be true but if it is, it does not mean they have to ........ on some civilians just because the terrorists dont follow the geneva convention...

Govtcheez
05-02-2004, 05:58 PM
I see everyone has assumed the pictures are genuine and are now arguing the rights and wrongs of action which in all probability never happened.

I haven't heard any doubt about the photos or anything over here. The American government is taking the situation very seriously, since American soldiers are involved, as well.

> Strange, No discussion about this!!!!

Hasn't been any discussion on the boards, but I assure you it's getting plenty of coverage.

Lurker
05-02-2004, 06:05 PM
way to go UK!

I vote to ban Xterria again.

Xterria
05-02-2004, 06:08 PM
what did i do? wtf??

...what do you mean 'vote', was there some kind of poll i'm unaware of?

Govtcheez
05-02-2004, 06:14 PM
You're being a moron, as per usual. Now stop derailing the thread, both of you.

ZakkWylde969
05-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Just because something happens doesn't mean we shouldn't try to stop it Dante. Hell, murders will probably never stop, but should we just give up on them? I think anyone caught torturing a POW or even peeing on another person, should be charged to the fullest extent.

DavidP
05-02-2004, 07:28 PM
>I think anyone caught torturing a POW or even peeing on another person, should be charged to the fullest extent.

definitely....people peeing on each other? definitely sickening. there is a reason we have Canadians....psh....

j/k :D

Thantos
05-02-2004, 07:37 PM
even peeing on another person
But what if the person got stung by a jellyfish? In that case urinating on the wound is beneficial.

I've only seen one picture which is of the person being urinated on but the picture was such that I could not see any identifing markings.
If its true then yes the people should be charged but I'll reserve judgement until its proven to be true.

vasanth
05-08-2004, 09:02 AM

Day by day it looks like it is genuine.. The Ammerican pictures seem to be accepted as even at political level it is accepted...

adrianxw
05-08-2004, 12:35 PM
The American pictures are not the same as the UK ones. It is a little more difficult to say "fake" when a recognisable US MP is holding a recognizable Iraqi prisoner in a recognisable Iraqi jail.

Not the case with the UK pictures.

DavidP
05-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Anyone watch the Senate committee yesterday on tv? It was quite interesting.

I thought the democrat senator that was sitting to the right of Senator Reed made some good points, as well as Senator McCain.

vasanth
05-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Anyone watch the Senate committee yesterday on tv? It was quite interesting.

I thought the democrat senator that was sitting to the right of Senator Reed made some good points, as well as Senator McCain.
can you enlighten us on what happened....