View Full Version : I vote to remove the DOS programming board

VirtualAce
04-27-2004, 09:14 AM
My sole reason:

Just go look at it right now.

A waste of space.

Silvercord
04-27-2004, 09:23 AM
I disagree. It doesn't interfere, and some people may need it, even if it doesn't get a lot of traffic.

EvBladeRunnervE
04-27-2004, 09:38 AM
I right now don't see the use. Most of the people on this site use either XP or Linux which dont offer support worth a damn of DOS(Linux not at all).

major_small
04-27-2004, 09:58 AM
I don't care either way...

Govtcheez
04-27-2004, 10:00 AM
I don't care either way...
Thanks for posting, then!

The DOS board will very likely be around for quite awhile longer.

major_small
04-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks for posting, then!don't blame me when your ballot counts are less than 1/8 the size of the boards ;)

I did have something to say about it, but I forgot by the time I got to the end of that one-liner...

whackaxe
04-27-2004, 11:51 AM
the only time i started a thread there, it got moved to the windows forum bcause even though it was a console app, it was using windows.h :p

Waldo2k2
04-27-2004, 12:50 PM
im pretty sure it will remain for beginners, i still do most of my programming on the console...i won't touch windows gui, i've worked with gtk a little. Other than that, I just do it on the console.

lightatdawn
04-27-2004, 01:08 PM
>>the only time i started a thread there, it got moved to the windows forum bcause even though it was a console app

A console app is not a DOS app. Its a Windows console. Almost nobody actually writes for DOS anymore.

Sang-drax
04-27-2004, 01:14 PM
I agree that the DOS board should be removed.

Fordy
04-27-2004, 01:20 PM
I'd vote to trash it.

For my default view on these boards I see the last 25 posts on each forum I look at. If I take a peek at DOS and scroll to the bottom of the page I see a post from 11-03-2003. Even using your wacky American date format (mmddyyyy not the vastly superior version that we in the UK use ddmmyyyy ;)) it's still pretty lame that it struggles to get 25 new posts in 6 months.

Thantos
04-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Death to DOS!

/mourns the passing of DOS

jverkoey
04-27-2004, 04:08 PM
i barely even realized there was a DOS board. :d I guess it's just one of those boards kind of sitting there that nobody really notices because nothing is really JUST DOS specific anymore. Honestly, if someone has a question relating to something outputted in the DOS console, they tend to post it in the C++/C forum because that's where everyone starts out, working in the console.

So I guess I don't really see the purpose of having it there.

JaWiB
04-27-2004, 04:27 PM
I agree, it's not really that useful if it barely gets any posts and you could just post your DOS programming questions in the tech board...

Xterria
04-27-2004, 04:35 PM
aw man come on, my very first games were all in dos. not to mention thats where i posted my first programming question

Thantos
04-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Even more reason to burn the board to the ground.

Don't mind me I'm just really fricken tired

Dante Shamest
04-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Keep the DOS board. Nuke the Linux one. :)

XSquared
04-27-2004, 05:28 PM
Yeah... remove the more popular one instead of the less popular one. (I'm defining popular in terms of post frequency.)

bludstayne
04-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Kill the DOS board. As for the "beginners use DOS", that should be even more reason to take it out. I think the more discouragement for n00bs to use DOS is better. I hate seeing all these people saying "Dude, use mode 13h". That is the biggest waste of time you'll ever do. Yeah, like 320x200x8 is going to do anything these days.

edit: I'm still waiting for the Game development board to be changed to the Game / Multimedia Development board.

DavidP
04-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Kill the DOS board. As for the "beginners use DOS", that should be even more reason to take it out. I think the more discouragement for n00bs to use DOS is better. I hate seeing all these people saying "Dude, use mode 13h". That is the biggest waste of time you'll ever do. Yeah, like 320x200x8 is going to do anything these days.

Well, first of all I would like to give a little lobby for 13h. I think it is an excellent place for beginners to start. OpenGL is so high level that the beginner would never learn how graphics work on the inside. With DirectX there is still a chance to learn that, but it is much more complicated than OpenGL (from a beginner's standpoint that is). Therefore 13h is an excellent beginner's tool in my opinion. I am not say they will release an awesome best-selling game in 13h, but it is a chance to learn how graphics works in memory and such.

With that little speech done, I can now turn to the issue of the DOS board.

I don't really care whether it goes or not. I think it used to be much more popular than it is now. If it goes, it will not really affect me at all.

If somebody has a DOS question, usually it can be asked in either the general programming board or the game programming board. For example, all those 13h questions could be asked in the game programming board.

Maybe the game programming board could be changed to the Game / Graphics Development Board? I dont know. just a maybe.

Console questions dont belong in the DOS board, so those would be forced to find their place in the general C/C++ boards.

Waldo2k2
04-28-2004, 09:58 AM
why not just rename it windows console programming...will that make everyone happier?

RoD
04-28-2004, 10:04 AM
trash it, of course it isnt rlly hurting anything sitting there for now. If no one uses it its not wasting bandwidth, and its taking up what, a mb?

Waldo2k2
04-28-2004, 10:08 AM
well if it doesn't get any hits in the next week or two then I guess I'd succede and say move all the threads to the archive area...whether that's history of cprog or whatever.

webmaster
04-28-2004, 10:37 AM
I vote to remove the DOS board too.

chrismiceli
04-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by webmaster
I vote to remove the DOS board too.

I guess yours is the only one that matters. :)

Thantos
04-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Considering its gone now I guess you are right ;)

Govtcheez
04-28-2004, 12:43 PM
Sunlight finally gets his wish

::salutes::

no-one
04-28-2004, 12:51 PM
wth?!?!! why on earth...

a *moment of silence* for an honored(honoured) friend, and a trusted ally, he will live on in our memories forever. as our first operating system. as our first programming environment. as our only access to the true power of our native language. DOS we salute you! for being the pure OS that your children now look down on, but spawned from! destroyed by those you nurtured, cherished by those who remember you for what you were. LONG LIVE DOS!!!!

Somebody please play taps for us... dont wipe your tears men, honour his memory.

whackaxe
04-28-2004, 01:19 PM
R.I.P DOS forum

maes
04-28-2004, 01:40 PM
[south park]
Stan: "you killed DOS"
Kyle: "you bastards"
[/south park]

>>Sunlight finally gets his wish
I wish he was here to see it.

and Dean so they would argue what OS is the best :D

bludstayne
04-28-2004, 02:31 PM
wth?!?!! why on earth...

a *moment of silence* for an honored(honoured) friend, and a trusted ally, he will live on in our memories forever. as our first operating system. as our first programming environment. as our only access to the true power of our native language. DOS we salute you! for being the pure OS that your children now look down on, but spawned from! destroyed by those you nurtured, cherished by those who remember you for what you were. LONG LIVE DOS!!!!

Somebody please play taps for us... dont wipe your tears men, honour his memory.
I hate to burst your bubble, but DOS was not the first OS. In fact, the original DOS had a lot of Unix code in it, I forget what percentage.

The only taps I'll play is solar taps in your face :p

no-one
04-28-2004, 03:22 PM
>bludstayne

i didnt mean it was, i meant that it was the first OS many of us ever used...

Fordy
04-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Hehe...bye bye baby!

To be fair...if the forums were people, the dos board had a grey beard down to it's ankles and spent most of it's time waving a stick in the air...definately time to bow out gracefully.

Now if we could get the Linux board shut this place would really be cosy...JK!!! ;)

enjoy
04-28-2004, 03:43 PM
i desagree nonononononononononononononononononononononononono nonononononono
nononononononononononononononononononono
nonononononononononononononononononononononononono no
nononononononononononononononononononononononono

Line Breaks added by Kermi3

VirtualAce
04-28-2004, 03:48 PM
And to think I used to be a DOS cruasader with doubleanti and yet now I have a very direct part in getting it removed.

To be fair, DOS was great in the day. Let's face it...if it were not for DOS our games, our apps, our comps would simply not be where they are today. It's not that we are shunning DOS or demeaning it...we are retiring it. There is a difference. It deserves our respect for it ruled the PC world for quite some time and it did what it was designed to do. Unfortunately times have changed and single-task operating systems are not what we need. So I for one salute DOS and all it did for the computer world and for skyrocketing us into the next generation of OS's, games, apps, and whatever is to come.

So...DOS has retired and taken its rightful place in PC history...but it has not been forgotten. It did play a vital role in PC history and evolution.

:)

okinrus
04-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Yes, I agree. A dos specific question could always be viewed as windows question(that is specific to the window's platform) or a C/C++ question.