PDA

View Full Version : Psychology and Programming

the dead tree
04-25-2004, 12:38 AM
In about one year or so I will graduate in psychology, but just recently I have decided that psychology as a profession is highly boring :rolleyes:, and for two months now I have been learning c++.
So, like some of you went through math or physics courses to help with your programming skills, does anyone know specifc fields within programming where I could possibly benefit or even have a greater chance of getting a job from being a psychology graduate? Maybe some area more related to cognitive sciences? I'm lost on this matter.
I would hate to after five years just put aside everything I learned and have no use for it.

Hope someone can help :)

Jeremy G
04-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Refocus on AI programming. And write a state of the art Shrink chat bot. sell for billions, and profit.

the dead tree
04-25-2004, 02:01 AM
You forgot to mention going to jail for illegal use of the psychology label on the shrink bot :p

But I was thinking if I continue my education and specialize in learning, intelligence, AI and so forth ( the areas wich are related to cognition ), I might have an advantage as a programmer...

-KEN-
04-25-2004, 07:58 AM
AI is probably your best bet.

kermi3
04-25-2004, 08:00 AM
I was going to say - if you're staying somewhat in the psychology relm, there is a lot of use for programming in cognition. Coding experiments to measure reaction times and such. And then, of course, there's AI. I'd love to see a computer attach and cry in the strange situation...

axon
04-25-2004, 08:19 AM
I'm doing an extensive research/project on AI. I've taken some psychology courses just for that goal. I want to join neural and symantic networks, along with simulated cognition to build an ultra intelliggent machine....I'm about two years into the project, so if you have any questions pm me.

>>and for two months now I have been learning c++.

but to achieve anything, you need much more programming than that :)

axon
04-25-2004, 08:23 AM
BTW Kermi, any news?

whackaxe
04-25-2004, 09:09 AM
an AI bot ay? whats he going to do, stand in front of the enemys gun and say "I understand, you've had a traumatic childhood, but put the gun down".

although it could be great for analysing people on IRC and starting arguments between them :D

infinate possibilities...

Glirk Dient
04-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Nah, axon is building a super robot to hunt down forum trolls and flamers. He will eventually win a nobel peace prize for his robot and bring world peace.

Thantos
04-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Except that his robot will also kill him during the Great Troll elimation

axon
04-25-2004, 11:21 AM
Actually there will be two bots (Fyodor 1 and 2) and they will be "brought" up (or nursed, if you prefer) in two different environments. F1 will be totally under strict control...I will teach it whatever I want, and maybe even create a semi virtual environment for him. F2, will be constantly connected to the net through AIM, with the ability two hold conversation with up to 5 people at a time. It will be interesting to compare the two bots' learning in different time intervals.

I will be putting up a documentation site up in the next few months....and maybe launching F2 by the end of the summer...we'll see....

>>Except that his robot will also kill him during the Great Troll elimation

first he will kill you by shooting in your busted knees....and then he will eat yer brain...hahahaha..... ;)

axon
04-25-2004, 11:24 AM
>>super robot to hunt down forum trolls and flamers.

yes, that might be a byproduct....

>>He will eventually win a nobel peace prize for his robot and bring world peace.

actually this kind-of interesting...could a machine mind ever win a nobel prize? would we give an ultra intellingent machine any recognition?

Thantos
04-25-2004, 11:40 AM
I read it as you would get the nobel prize for creating the bot. You know because
He will eventually win a nobel peace prize for his robot

And I would say no on giving the machine a prize. If it got that smart it should be destroyed before it becomes a threat :)

axon
04-25-2004, 11:43 AM
damnit thantos, what is your fascination with destroying everything???.... :p

Thantos
04-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Maybe because my screen name is the name of the Incarnation of Death in a book series?

whackaxe
04-25-2004, 01:28 PM
i think some people at www.phpbuilder.com started a project for a mod bot :D

the dead tree
04-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks ken, kermi and axon. It´s a relief to know I will have some use for what I learned. I guess AI will be my best bet too.

but to achieve anything, you need much more programming than that :) Er... don't worry, I am working on that. Maybe I'll help you with Trollynch bots someday.

And thanks everyone else for reminding me to be weary of the Great Troll elimation.

InvariantLoop
04-25-2004, 02:58 PM
Maybe because my screen name is the name of the Incarnation of Death in a book series?

actually i was gonna send u a pm 1 of these days to ask u about ur name. what book is that exactly?

Incarnation of Death = Thanatos(in greek)

not thantos.

Thantos
04-25-2004, 03:58 PM
Series: Incarnations of Immortality
Book: On a Pale Horse
Author: Piers Anthony
Book # in series: 1

As for the difference in spelling it could be one of two things: 1) I remember it incorrectly (very very plausible since I last read it over 13 years ago) or 2) the author changed the spelling.

InvariantLoop
04-25-2004, 04:12 PM
heeh

Thanatos, in Greek mythology, the personification of Death, the son of Night, and twin brother of Sleep. Thanatos is frequently represented as a winged spirit. In the myth of Sisyphus, when Thanatos arrived to carry him off, Sisyphus bound up Thanatos so that no one could die, until Ares, the god of war in Greek mythology, freed Thanatos—and handed Sisyphus over to him.

Thantos
04-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Well IIRC Anthony used by Greek and Roman names for the offices' names. IIRC the Incarnation of War office name was Mars.

InvariantLoop
04-25-2004, 07:02 PM
well actually the romans took the greeks god names and translate them to their own. but here the naming is irrelevant. we are talking about spelling lol and urs is clearly a misspelling of Thanatos ehehe

XSquared
04-25-2004, 07:08 PM
> and urs is clearly a misspelling of Thanatos ehehe
And Prelude's is obviously a ripoff of Honda's car. As is Civix.

InvariantLoop
04-25-2004, 08:08 PM
its not the same, Thantos as he said, he knows exactly who thanatos is just his memory didnt server him right at the time he thought of the name eheh

axon
04-25-2004, 09:46 PM
>>didnt server him right at

yes his server is still running win3.1 for workgroups.....

how the hell could we get so off topic ?? :p

XSquared
04-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Quite easily. It's the GD boards. Although it could be worse. It could be FD.

axon
04-25-2004, 10:04 PM
>>It could be FD.

hey don't knock FD or Ken will take your soul

major_small
04-26-2004, 10:17 AM
aliveness:
(1) "Imitate the behavior of any other machine."21

(2) Exhibit curiosity (ie are always moving to

investigate their environment); display self‑recognition (ie react to the sight of themselves); and manifest mutual recognition of members of their own machine species.22

(3) Learn from their own mistakes.23

(4) Be as "creative" and "purposive" as are humans,

even to the extent of "look[ing] for purposes

which they can fulfill."24

(5) Reproduce themselves, in five fundamentally

different modes, of which the fifth‑‑the

"probabilistic mode of self‑reproduction"‑‑closely

parallels biological evolution through mutations (which in the case of [machines] means random changes of elements), so that "highly efficient, complex, powerful automata can evolve from inefficient, simple, weak automata."25

(6) "Can have an unbounded life span through self‑repairing mechanisms."26

In short, "a generation of robots is rapidly evolving,

a breed that can see, read, talk, learn, and even feel

[emotions]."27

and, don't forget about mr. Asimov's rules:

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

InvariantLoop
04-26-2004, 10:22 AM
ya all making terminator version ehheeh

UnregdRegd
04-26-2004, 01:01 PM
although it [the AI bot] could be great for analysing people on IRC and starting arguments between them :D

infinate possibilities...

It's so much more fun to do this yourself, though! There's nothing better than taking apart people's assumptions and giving them the opportunity to rethink their attitude and opinions.

whackaxe
04-26-2004, 01:16 PM
yeh but do it my way and it becomes a spectator sport! or you could use the AI to analyse the wife and determien what she really means when she says "do you find me fat?"

bludstayne
04-26-2004, 02:42 PM
I have 3.5" FD drive. It's amzing. You won't have to take my soul, I've never knocked on it b4. Of course, I don't plan to either.

UnregdRegd
04-26-2004, 04:31 PM
yeh but do it my way and it becomes a spectator sport! or you could use the AI to analyse the wife and determien what she really means when she says "do you find me fat?"

Everyone knows spectator sports aren't as much fun as actually playing! Anyway, you don't need to use sophisticated artificial intelligence to determine what your wife/girlfriend/[female] means when she says, "Do you think I look fat?" The answer is quite simple: She is looking for reassurance to temporarily remove the feelings of self-doubt. When a machine can figure that out, we guys better look out!

whackaxe
04-27-2004, 02:39 AM
aha, but what ifs shes read all the e-mails translating/mocking womans language and wants to test you to see if you have, the computer should be able to, according to slight behavior differences, determine that and suply you with a satisfying answer :D tricksy women :)