PDA

View Full Version : Computer in Standy mode

Raihana
04-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Hi,

Most of the time, I work on my computer for a very short time- do something else for a couple of hours then come back and do something again on my computer. I don't like to start my computer everytime I need to use it.

Therefore I was wondering whether it will do any harm to my computer if I don't shut it down and leave it as standby.

Thank you.

Salem
04-08-2004, 04:51 AM
Seems to work well enough here
Have you actually tried it yet?

Raihana
04-08-2004, 05:09 AM
I tried it but not for a long time (2 days) and I was worried I might be causing damage to my computer because of constant power supply.

EDIT: Forgot to say, its a laptop computer.

ober
04-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Why would a constant power supply hurt a device that feeds off of power. Computers do not need rest like humans. It's not like they need to recharge. Granted, it's nice to refresh it with a restart every once in a while, but it's not required unless performance degrades.

Short answer: Standby should work great for you.

axon
04-08-2004, 06:36 AM
I use a laptop and its on pretty much all day...during night i put it in "hibernate" mode....no problems thus far. However, I remember that older pc's runnin win95 and even 98, did not like to be constantly on....you had to reboot them from time to time...

EvBladeRunnervE
04-08-2004, 07:07 AM
exactly, my home server(nothing more than a p4 1.8 and some memory,etc.), has been on for around 1.5 months now without a hickup. Your only problem is that some of the generic PS brands have faulty capacitators which sometimes blow after a short time of use.

undisputed007
04-08-2004, 08:00 AM
man .. i wonder what is the problem of using stand by mode !!!

nvoigt
04-08-2004, 09:35 AM
At work, most of us are too lazy to wait for booting every morning, so we leave the computers running and locked when we leave. They go into standy after a certain timespan. So far, my computer has had no problems and I've been doing it for maybe 3 years now. The only reason to shut it down is holidays.

With laptops, make sure the battery is not loaded when you plug it in. Older batteries went down the drain fast when you charged them constantly. I'd say if you operate it in a fixed place, remove he battery, and don't worry about it. Boot it once or twice a week if it's Windows and you should be fine.

axon
04-08-2004, 09:52 AM
>>remove he battery, and don't worry about it.

yes, a few years ago lithium batteries had a fault called the "battery memory"...this is not the case now. BTW, have you guys noticed that the field of battery making is really behind our times?! Actually last semester in my physics2 class, our professor said that batteries are the slowest moving technology.

DAMNIT...I dammand a battery that is the size of my pinky and can run my laptop for a week!

Thantos
04-08-2004, 10:11 AM
When I was in Okinawa the networking peeps sent out a notice for us to leave our computers on at night. That way they could push updates and what not when we weren't using it.

And I remember hearing that contantly turning a computer on and off is worse for a computer and can consume more power.

DavidP
04-08-2004, 10:36 AM
at my school they never turn the computers off unless they absolutely need to.

as far as i know, the Computer Science macines i have been using in the CS building have been on as long as I can remember (which would be August of last year) and have never been turned off.

major_small
04-08-2004, 11:17 AM
And I remember hearing that contantly turning a computer on and off is worse for a computer and can consume more power.yes, keeping a computer on for long periods of time is much better than turning it on every morning and off every night... they should still be turned off every once in a while, like once a week or month or so, but it's best just to leave them on most of the time...

even if you never get a chance to turn it off (it's a work computer, server, etc.) just reboot every month or so...

I don't actually follow this personally, I usually turn my system off at least twice a week... usually more, but that's my dad's doing...

lightatdawn
04-08-2004, 11:55 AM
I've run a few computers continually for years. I'm almost always too lazy to even flick it to standyby mode. I just turn the screen off. My current system has been on solid for a year now and it runs perfectly. My previous system ran for just under four years solid with the same method and its still going strong.

Of course reboots occure fairly frequently anyhow as new software is installed/uninstalled, and of course the occasional system crash due to, well, you know how it goes... :p

Speedy5
04-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Sometimes I don't turn off my computer in weeks. And when I do its because either I'm moving my laptop somewhere else or maybe I installed something. I just leave it in standby all the time. Its takes just 2 seconds for it to come back up.

Like I'll be working and then its dinner time. Fn+F4 and its on standby.