PDA

View Full Version : real programmers....



DavidP
03-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Real programmers don't comment their code. It was hard to write; it should be hard to understand.

:D

axon
03-24-2004, 06:19 PM
thanks for letting us know :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Silvercord
03-24-2004, 06:20 PM
real programmers are rational thinking human beings designed to analytically solve problems from an objective viewpoint. You won't remember everything that you've written no matter how good you think you are. Comment.

EDIT:
fool

you know how many hours i've slaved over quake2 source trying to understand that caca? Well, about 30 times longer than if it had been freaking commented well

golfinguy4
03-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by axon
thanks for letting us know :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lighten up.:rolleyes:

unanimous
03-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Silvercord
you know how many hours i've slaved over quake2 source trying to understand that caca? Well, about 30 times longer than if it had been freaking commented well [/B]

I had the same problem with Wolfenstein 3D when I first started C. Sure they labeled the sections with little headers, but the comments just weren't there, but it probably has ore than Quake 2. It also helped that the name of the source files really didn't help much. Luckily there were online groups that gave descriptions of every file and had line numbers were certain variables were located. Plus, the assembly was commented, arent Carmack and Romero nice. :)

Xterria
03-24-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by unanimous
I had the same problem with Wolfenstein 3D when I first started C. Sure they labeled the sections with little headers, but the comments just weren't there, but it probably has ore than Quake 2. It also helped that the name of the source files really didn't help much. Luckily there were online groups that gave descriptions of every file and had line numbers were certain variables were located. Plus, the assembly was commented, arent Carmack and Romero nice. :)

yes, the wolf 3d source code was freaking impossible to read, regardless of how good you were. I just spent hours playing with it and finally got to change the color of the main menu :)
but most of my problem was probably that i was using the borland turbo 3.1's editor:rolleyes:

nickname_changed
03-25-2004, 01:57 AM
Maybe game programmers have a special compiler which strips comments out of their source code when they go public... they can still release their source code, but it wont do any good if people don't understand it :P

nvoigt
03-25-2004, 02:38 AM
Real good programmers do comment their code. It wasn't that hard to write, it shouldn't be that hard to understand either. :p

By the way DavidP, a horse is a badly capitalized handle to an Orse ( whatever that may be ) :p One day you will understand that :rolleyes: :D

Prelude
03-25-2004, 07:04 AM
>Real good programmers do comment their code.
No, real programmers don't comment their code. If it was well written, the code is its own commenting. :D

>Real programmers don't comment their code. It was hard to write; it should be hard to understand.
This is a very old joke by the way, just in case some of you were taking DavidP seriously. :rolleyes:

khpuce
03-25-2004, 07:18 AM
Real programmer ? :confused:

Thanks guys, now I am really confused whether I am a real programmer or not :confused: :confused:

How do I know that :confused: :confused: :confused:

Prelude
03-25-2004, 07:24 AM
>How do I know that
If you've had the perseverance to complete a program larger than "Hello, World!", you're a real programmer. I've seen a lot of people give up before that.

khpuce
03-25-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Prelude

If you've had the perseverance to complete a program larger than "Hello, World!", you're a real programmer. I've seen a lot of people give up before that.
Hang on guys...lemme finish my "Hello World" program and then I'll come back as a REAL programmer ; :cool:

DavidP
03-25-2004, 09:30 AM
>By the way DavidP, a horse is a badly capitalized handle to an Orse ( whatever that may be ) One day you will understand that

lol

NEVER!!! I shall never give in to the Hungarians!

Thantos
03-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Self documenting code will tell you what the program is doing, the comments are there to tell you why. The reason why is often times far more important then the how.

Waldo2k2
03-25-2004, 05:09 PM
i know david was just making a joke, but there's NO WAY you could figure out a program that's over 50 lines or so in assembly...unless the variables were VERY well named...but even then...

I've heard of a fully graphical OS written entirely in asm, can't imagine how many lines of code that is.

bludstayne
03-25-2004, 06:09 PM
I had the same problem with Wolfenstein 3D when I first started C. Sure they labeled the sections with little headers, but the comments just weren't there, but it probably has ore than Quake 2. It also helped that the name of the source files really didn't help much. Luckily there were online groups that gave descriptions of every file and had line numbers were certain variables were located. Plus, the assembly was commented, arent Carmack and Romero nice.
Wolf 3D is what got me interested in programming; if it wasn't for me downloading the sources and making TC's

unanimous
03-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Wolf 3D did the same for me. My friend and I spent a lot of time working on total conversions, he did the graphics and level design while I did the programming (I couldn't design a level if my life depended on it). BTW, am I the only one who loved turbo C? For awhile it was hard for me to even program without the blue background and bad colors for syntax highlighting.

DavidP
03-26-2004, 12:02 AM
good ol' Turbo C...I still use it on occasion when I go on vacation to some remote place with only old computers...

I bring a single diskette with me that has Turbo C on it, install it on some old computer, and program away!

kermit
03-26-2004, 07:16 AM
I know this (http://mindprod.com/unmain.html) (How to write unmaintainble code) has been up on the board at least a couple of times, but for any who have not seen it, it is pretty funny.

~/

Xterria
03-26-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by unanimous
Wolf 3D did the same for me. My friend and I spent a lot of time working on total conversions, he did the graphics and level design while I did the programming (I couldn't design a level if my life depended on it). BTW, am I the only one who loved turbo C? For awhile it was hard for me to even program without the blue background and bad colors for syntax highlighting.
turbo c++ is what i learned on.

major_small
03-26-2004, 08:51 AM
I learned on turbo C++, but moved to Dev C++ when I realized how outdated turbo was...

vasanth
03-26-2004, 11:07 AM
I too started with Turbo C..... It was the one which made me learn a lot of wrong programming habbits..

khpuce
03-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by vasanth
I too started with Turbo C..... It was the one which made me learn a lot of wrong programming habbits..

Like what ?

Thantos
03-26-2004, 11:25 AM
I started off in Turbo C. Bad habits I had to break (off the top of my head):

Not including <stdio.h> (or heck even 90% of the header files)
Not using function prototypes
using random() and randomize()

linuxdude
03-26-2004, 02:34 PM
I started off with vim and gcc. I am still using gcc, but with -Wall -pedantic also. Just to be sure. I haven't used a IDE yet, but I heard that Ajunta suckes though. Maybe one day I'll get ambitious

bludstayne
03-27-2004, 07:15 PM
Turbo C++ 3.1 was the first compiler I used, just for Wofl3D stuff. I downloaded a big package that had Turbo C++ and Wolf 3D's sources bundled together. I was searching for C tutorials so I could expand my capabilities, and I found this site so I started using C++. A lot of C I taught myself with no tutorials at all or any knowledge of how it all worked. I just stared at code for hours and did some trial and error.

Speaking of Wolfy, what was your favorite TC? Mine was The West Wall. If I ever released the TC I was working on it would've been freaking awesome, I had a ton of features never seen before in a Wolf TC.

This is making me want to download Wolfy's sources and play with it again. I guess I gotta set up DosBox now, :p

edit: I think we should have a wolf3d TC contest on this board.