PDA

View Full Version : free popup blocker!! yaay

jverkoey
03-18-2004, 10:15 AM
I spent about 3 hours last night and whipped together a nice little popup blocking program, if you are annoyed with popups, you can get my program from my site in my portfolio:

http://thejefffiles.com/portfolios.php?name=jverkoey

and download windowViewer. It includes a readme and is pretty simple to use. Tell me what you think!

Prelude
03-18-2004, 10:19 AM
>Tell me what you think!
I think this should be in the General Discussions board unless you have a question about your implementation.

bludstayne
03-18-2004, 01:39 PM
I got a really neat pop-up blocker on my computer called Mozilla Firefox.

XSquared
03-18-2004, 02:36 PM
>I got a really neat pop-up blocker on my computer called Mozilla Firefox.
Cool. Mine's called Opera. :p

ZakkWylde969
03-18-2004, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I just installed Firefox on my Windows XP because I got tired of Internet Explorer freezing on me 24/7,. and I thin k it's the best browser I've used.

chrismiceli
03-18-2004, 06:23 PM
I love it when I am surfing the net with my mozilla, and I see the little exclamation point in the bottom left of my screen telling me that I have just avoided one of the most annoying things in the world.

axon
03-18-2004, 07:45 PM
yes mozilla and opera here as well...anyways op its good practice........

nvoigt
03-19-2004, 01:31 AM
The Google Toolbar can block popups, too. Pretty nice plugin.

VirtualAce
03-19-2004, 03:28 AM
The Google toolbar is the best popup blocker I've ever d/l. It rarely misses any popups.

anonytmouse
03-19-2004, 06:38 AM
It looks like XP-SP2 will include a popup blocker. However the alternative to popups may be much much worse. (http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3300871)

ober
03-19-2004, 07:05 AM
Opera at home... Googlebar at work. I haven't seen a pop-up that I haven't wanted to see in a very long time.

khpuce
03-19-2004, 07:22 AM
I vote for Google toolbar :) I think that makes installing any other pop up blocker unnecessary.

ZakkWylde969
03-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Personally, I don't think the google toolbar is all that great. It missed a bunch of them for me when I had Internet Explorer. I had that, Stopzilla, and some other popup blocker running, and nothing seemed to stop the little devils.

undisputed007
03-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ZakkWylde969
Personally, I don't think the google toolbar is all that great. It missed a bunch of them for me when I had Internet Explorer. I had that, Stopzilla, and some other popup blocker running, and nothing seemed to stop the little devils.

for me .. I think Google toolbar is that great ... I think it's the best pop-up blocker i ever seen in my life

linuxdude
03-19-2004, 09:30 PM
Mozilla all the way, I click the check box in the options and poof all gone. Have you ever been to a web site on someone else's computer that doesn't have pop-up blocking and then realize how sucky internet would really be? It is great.

XSquared
03-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Yep, where I work, there are no popup blockers installed, and we aren't allowed to put any software on the computers. Also, we're stuck with Internet Exploder.

SirCrono6
03-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Still, the Google Toolbar is better than nothing. I use it, and it works quite well for me. I think I got it in November or December, and it has blocked 18,273 pop-ups... God there are a lot of pop-ups!

- SirCrono6

undisputed007
03-20-2004, 02:20 PM
I think as IE doesnt include any pop up blocker the best one is Google toolbar but I didnt try Mozilla Firefox simply because i dont use Mozilla but i just wonder is Firefox a separate popup blocking software for Mozilla or it's built in in Mozilla browser?

XSquared
03-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Firefox is the browser.

bludstayne
03-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Mozilla has two browsers: Mozilla, and Mozilla Firefox. Mozilla is the older, but more stable version based off of Netscape. Mozilla Firefox is the newer unstable version that had a fresh new look and is faster and leaner than Mozilla. Don't be scared by the word unstable; unstable just means that it is still in development and it may crash once in a while. They both block popups without having to download any extra software, and you can get a extension called AdBlock that even blocks banner ads and IFrames.

Mozilla also has two e-mail programs. One is embedded in Mozilla, and the other is a seperate program called Thunderbird. They are a heck of a lot more secure than Outlook and has some really cool junk mail controls.

undisputed007
03-20-2004, 03:48 PM
that's cool .. this encourages me to change IE and use Mozilla

But i am running XP and I think that IE is designed to be the best browser for XP .. anyone tried to install Mozilla (or Mozilla Firefox which really i care more about it) on windows XP can share me his opinion about its performance and wether IE is better or not (of course as whole performance not on AD killing or Pop up blocking only)?

I also heard from a friend that Mozilla is not able to view all Java applets where all of it can be shown on MS windows .. is that true?

bludstayne
03-20-2004, 09:30 PM
I have used both Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox on Windows XP and in fact Mozilla Firefox is my default browser on Windows (as well as on Linux). I'd recommend you to try Firefox first.

Your friend is right, some stuff doesn't work correctly on Mozilla. It's not Mozilla's fault; it is the web page makers' fault. You can get an extension that lets you right-click a link and it pops up IE pointed to that link. That's what I always do when something doesn't work.

nomi
03-20-2004, 10:41 PM
Word of advice:
visit http://www.popuptest.com/.

Besides I use Opera.

unanimous
03-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Its great, I can set it to block the homepage on IE and I never have to see IE run again.

undisputed007
03-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by bludstayne
I have used both Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox on Windows XP and in fact Mozilla Firefox is my default browser on Windows (as well as on Linux). I'd recommend you to try Firefox first.

Your friend is right, some stuff doesn't work correctly on Mozilla. It's not Mozilla's fault; it is the web page makers' fault. You can get an extension that lets you right-click a link and it pops up IE pointed to that link. That's what I always do when something doesn't work.

so that means that if i install Mozilla Firefox i have to keep IE too and not to uninstall it... i think that two browsers on the same OS may make some problems ... dont you agree with me?

bludstayne
03-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Nope. They don't conflict at all.

edit: Mozilla or Firefox don't need IE, they don't use anything from it at all. It's not like a lot of "browsers" that are really just another frontend for IE. However, Windows requires you to keep IE on your system.

undisputed007
03-21-2004, 08:09 PM
that's great .. but the last question....Is Mozilla Firefox for free or not?

alphaoide
03-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by M_Ghani
that's great .. but the last question....Is Mozilla Firefox for free or not?
nuff asking, just go to mozilla.org (http://www.mozilla.org) to get all the answers you need.

undisputed007
03-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by alphaoide
nuff asking, just go to mozilla.org (http://www.mozilla.org) to get all the answers you need.

You know when i asked about Mozilla Firefox here .. first of all i didnt hear about Firefox but in this thread which make me curious to know more about it so i asked about those who are using it to know about their experience with that browser whereas if i were to go to the site of any product they will try to convince you that their product is the best and so i really think that asking those who try Firefox (or if i really want to ask about the performance of any product i have to ask those who use it to know what they think about such product and if they satisfied with it or not)

ober
03-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by M_Ghani
stuff... No, you're asking questions like "do I have to uninstall IE first?" and "Is Firefox and ok browser for XP". Most of those types of questions are answered on their website somewhere, I'm sure.

Now, for the other question you asked, here is my opinion: Opera is better. I have tried Firefox/Mozilla/MyIE2/IE/Opera. I've used them all fairly extensively. Opera is my first choice by far with MyIE2 being a close second. Granted, Opera has a random thing or two that does not work correctly, but overall, I'd take the lumps over the crap that is the rest of the browsing software available.

Opera, Opera, Opera. Download it now.

khpuce
03-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by alphaoide

I think the reason alphaoide asked you to go to the mozilla website mainly because of your last question (which he quoted indeed!)

linuxdude
03-22-2004, 12:37 PM
I like mozilla for about 3 reasons:
a) No pop-ups
b) Works for linux
c) That annoying thing that happens on windows while you are typing and a web page is loading how in the middle of your typing it brings you to the beggining of the address bar so you end up with something like this

oogle.comwww.g
well it doesn't happen on mozilla!!!!
I have only tried operal once and it also had konquerer(sucks) I though it was pretty nice just like mozilla better for no reason.

ober
03-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by linuxdude
I like mozilla for about 3 reasons:
a) No pop-ups
b) Works for linux
c) That annoying thing that happens on windows while you are typing and a web page is loading how in the middle of your ...
Opera does all of this and more.

unanimous
03-22-2004, 04:03 PM
First, do you plan on makign the popup blocker work for other browsers too?

I use Mozilla as my main browser (for some strange reason), but I love Opera, it has the great download manager so you only need one window to view the progress on all of your downloads and it also shows you a lot more about the progress of a loading webpage like how much data has been transfered and at what speed. Opera also has a search box that can search using many search engines and even Amazon ans Ebay.

The one thing I don't like about Opera is that the free version requires oyu to have an ad at the top while Mozilla is just free.

Thantos
03-22-2004, 04:14 PM
There is an ad on Opera? <looks up> well I'll be a ....

XSquared
03-22-2004, 06:40 PM
>Opera does all of this and more.
[imitates person in cheesy commercial]Wow! How much more!?!?[/imitation]

>There is an ad on Opera? <looks up> well I'll be a...
Heh, I know. It tends to disappear once you've used Opera enough.

ober
03-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Personally, I liked Opera enough that I bought a licence. Granted, I was a student at the time and it was cheaper, but then again most of you guys are students so you could do the same!

undisputed007
03-23-2004, 07:55 AM
I installed mozilla yesterday .. i think its pop up blocking property is fine moreover i found a good feature in it (at least for me) which is ability of running IRC on this browser without need to install mIRC or any other IRC software

linuxdude
03-23-2004, 09:44 AM
great download manager so you only need one window to view the progress on all of your downloads Mozilla does that also, by default actually
Opera also has a search box that can search using many search engines and even Amazon ans Ebay. once again mozilla can do that also
The one thing I don't like about Opera is that the free version requires oyu to have an ad at the top while Mozilla is just free. I am finished here:) Go mozilla

nomi
03-23-2004, 09:44 PM
>There is an ad on Opera? <looks up> well I'll be a ....

I dont want to say this, but ahh heck.

Get a hack for the ad.