PDA

View Full Version : Cricket India v Pakistan ODI.

adrianxw
03-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Man, I would have absolutely loved to have been there for todays ODI between India and Pakistan. Can you imagine what the atmosphere must have been like? Record breaking score as well. These kind of clashes have been sorely missed, I really hope India and Pakistan can bury their troubles finally.

Report here. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/other_international/3507532.stm)

Apologies to any Americans reading this who won't understand!!!

Thantos
03-13-2004, 11:55 AM
I know cricket is some silly sport thats kinda like baseball. What does ODI stand for?

Clyde
03-13-2004, 11:57 AM
One day international.

vasanth
03-13-2004, 12:17 PM
hmm.. i missed the match being an Indian :( Herd back home in Inda the strrets were desetred during the match.. Peopl said most of the towns and cities had a curfue look...

Establishments declared a holliday so that people could watch the match.. even some of the banks were closed...

adrianxw
03-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Estimates in now, 600 million people watched the game.

Silvercord
03-14-2004, 09:50 AM
one in ten people from the entire world went to see this game? sweet

Thantos
03-14-2004, 09:55 AM
I don't think 600 million people went and saw the game Silvercord. More like 600 million either watched in the stadium or on TV.

Fountain
03-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Silvercord
one in ten people from the entire world went to see this game? sweet

lol, as thantos said............and can you imagine the size of the stadium?

And the parking? Wow

Silvercord
03-14-2004, 10:59 AM
oh really? gee, wow, thanks guys for sorting out that discrepancy, I'm so stoopid

Thantos
03-14-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm so stoopidDon't worry, we won't hold that against you :)

adrianxw
03-14-2004, 11:35 AM
And just a day later, another sensation in world cricket!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/3510834.stm

As an England fan, "England storm to test win", is sweet music, sadly rather rare these days but worth saying again, "England storm to test win", oooh, sends shivers down my spine!

You around these days SC?

>>> one in ten people from the entire world

Makes you think doesn't it. I wonder how many people watch the finals of the "world series"!

Fountain
03-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Not to compramise my other thread...........ODI has its place. :)

My favourite (very early world cup) is one of the first years they played in colours (not white) with 'Beefy' giving stick!

This was across Australia and NZ. We (England) skittled Pakistan for 74 (If I remember), then it damn rained! The stupid rules let them away with a draw!

Then we went out for some strange reason!

I used to have that video (long time ago)...wonder if I can find it on the net hmmm.

So, as ODI go, the world cup rocks!

vasanth
03-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by adrianxw

>>> one in ten people from the entire world

Makes you think doesn't it. I wonder how many people watch the finals of the "world series"!

well one in six people is an Indian.. So a pakistan vs India match will even attract Indians who dont follow much of cricket.. So obviously the numbers are high..

anonytmouse
03-14-2004, 12:43 PM
When given tv ratings for an event, one should divide by 5 to 10 to get some semblence of truth.

Like 2 billion viewers for the opening ceremony of an olympics, we're meant to believe that 1 in 3 of the world's population sits down to watch some guy ride a kangaroo or whatever crap they come up with next time. Yeah right.

And we're meant to believe that 200 million+ tune in to watch cars go around and around and around a track with, on a really exciting day, three passes(F1). OK. Not.

Fountain
03-14-2004, 01:44 PM
And we're meant to believe that 200 million+ tune in to watch cars go around and around and around a track with, on a really exciting day, three passes(F1). OK. Not.

You are kidding right?

Christ I watched Daytona or whatever it was on Sky the other day.

The track was a bleeding circuit! Round and round and round. Blimey F1 has no worries there then!

That was sooooo boring!

adrianxw
03-14-2004, 02:50 PM
I would not factor the numbers in the same way when it comes to that particular event. This was the first time India have toured in Pakistan since 1989. Cricket is a way of life there, and there are 1+ billion in India alone, let alone the viewers in the host country. If it had been on the telly here I would have watched it. 600,000,001 then!

adrianxw
03-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Wow, another absolute thriller today. It's a total disaster they are not on telly!

Kinasz
03-19-2004, 06:56 AM
>>I know cricket is some silly sport thats kinda like baseball

apart from there being a ball cricket is nothing like baseball. Baseball you just hit a ball and run, cricket has strategy, then you hit the ball and run!(jk)

It would have been a bloody good game, not like these England vs Australia games... soooo predictable.

the Wookie
03-19-2004, 11:18 AM
didnt pakistan just beat them by 12 run, 4 wickets?
in islamabad i think

they played karachi last sat when pakistan got beat

adrianxw
03-20-2004, 03:45 AM
India won the first ODI by 5 runs in Karachi. Pakistan won the second in Rawalpindi by 12 runs, and the third in Peshawar by 4 wickets.

All of these have been incredible matches. I wish I had seen them. The reports are electric!

I had hopen that Sri Lanka would knock out the 51 they needed to Beat the Aussies but that man Warne again.