PDA

View Full Version : I dont know Windows API...

vasanth
03-07-2004, 01:08 PM
In a year or so i will be graduating.. But i have no idea of any Windows Programming.. have worked only with pure c/c++ , web languages, scripting languages etc etc... It frightens me when i think about it.. What will i do without the knowledge of programming in Windows Environment.... I was always concentrating on methodologies, concepts, data structures, algorithm etc etc...

When did you guys start Windows programming after you started to program.. and i doubt i have the time now to learn it seperately with all the college work and stuff...

Any advice....
thanx

Dante Shamest
03-07-2004, 01:23 PM
I was always concentrating on methodologies, concepts, data structures, algorithm etc etc...

You did the right thing. The Windows API isn't so hard once you've got your C/C++ fundamentals down.

TravisS
03-07-2004, 03:39 PM
I agree. I started looking at API stuff once I had worked with C for about 3 years. I certainly was no expert, and can't say I am now either, but I self taught myself Windows programming by using various web tutorials and examples.

Just look around. I did that about a year ago, and hopefully there are better resources now.

adrianxw
03-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Don't worry about it, you'll be okay.

sean
03-07-2004, 04:38 PM
The library for Windows programming in .NET is very intuitive - I highly recommend it, but it's certainly not widespread enough yet for you to rely solely upon that in the professional world. In that case I would also echo TravisS about just finding a good tutorial of the library on Google or something like that. If you are familiar with pure C/C++ techniques Windows programming really won't be that hard.

Prelude
03-07-2004, 06:24 PM
>I was always concentrating on methodologies, concepts, data structures, algorithm etc etc...
Good. Those things can be transferred between jobs more easily than skill using a proprietary API.

>When did you guys start Windows programming after you started to program..
I still haven't aside from little tidbits absorbed here and there. Amazingly enough, you don't have to be a Windows programmer to make a good living.