PDA

View Full Version : Indian Music

nickname_changed
03-01-2004, 12:38 AM
I have an indian friend at school, and today he was showing me some indian music he was listening to. I really liked it, and he told me what it was called... started with an R, was either a band or an instrument... but I forgot to write it down. I'd like to try and download some of it if I could, does anyone know what I might be thinking of?

Sebastiani
03-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Ravi Shankar, maybe? :)

Fountain
03-01-2004, 02:23 AM
R....hmmm let me think.

Ah yes, rubbish springs to mind :)

No flaming blah blah, it was a joke.

nickname_changed
03-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Thanks Sebastiani, I downloaded some Ravi Shankar :) I don't think its what I was looking for, but it's very nice :) The name he said was veri indian sounding, and hard for me to pronounce.

vasanth
03-01-2004, 08:36 PM
may be i can help you..
what does it sound like.. were there any lirics.. give some more info..

nickname_changed
03-02-2004, 02:22 AM
The name he said started with an R, with an 'a' sound after it, but I don't think it was ravi shankar.

The music didn't seem to have any lyrics, the instrument used sounded like a stringed one, and very much like the sort of music typically associated with india on movies... thats all I remember :(

Brian2
03-02-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by stovellp
The name he said started with an R, with an 'a' sound after it, but I don't think it was ravi shankar.

The music didn't seem to have any lyrics, the instrument used sounded like a stringed one, and very much like the sort of music typically associated with india on movies... thats all I remember :(

A sitar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitar) perhaps?

master5001
03-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Ravi Shankar made the sitar a little more mainstream in america during the 60's (correct me if I'm wrong, that was before my time). Anyway, it probably was shankar since it would be easiest to come by his music. Additionally, why not ask your friend?