PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Players

RoD
02-29-2004, 10:21 PM
Hey guys, as some of you know im getting my bike soon and crotch rockets dont come with radios (not the good ones : ) )

Anyway, Bike Week is a long ride, and even short rides can get a lil less fun without some tunes. I am looking to get an mp3 player that can hold a fair amount of mp3's, is good quality, and is under 120-140.00.....im new to the portable-mp3 idea, any suggestions?

DavidP
02-29-2004, 10:34 PM
iPod - not much else to say.

RoD
02-29-2004, 10:42 PM
thats what my buddy said but i (blindly) thought they were for macs only....

RoD
02-29-2004, 10:45 PM
"starting at 299.00"

way over my limit there, lol.

endo
03-01-2004, 05:58 AM
I got mine here, never had any trouble with it. Its a 128MB Ibead 100 with radio. Does me fine although I'd choose one with more memory next time.

khpuce
03-01-2004, 06:01 AM
One of my friends has a Creative Nomad jukebox and it sounds pretty good though I'm not sure about the current price.

Thantos
03-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Anyone else see the inherent danger of riding motorcycle with headphones on.

But I do believe the IPod mini came out.

Govtcheez
03-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Thantos

That can't possibly be a bad idea.

Iamien
03-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Ipod mini's look neat, did some reserach on them for a friend. They are out in States ATM and due in canada in may. 4gig, an array of different colors, "decent" price.

major_small
03-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by khpuce
One of my friends has a Creative Nomad jukebox and it sounds pretty good though I'm not sure about the current price. I have a Creative Nomad MuVo... it's not bad, but I should have gotten a little more memory with it... I like it because it doubles as a USB memory stick... battery life can be a little on the short side because it uses one AAA...

Dante Shamest
03-01-2004, 11:52 AM
I'm still using one of Samsung's early prototypes since 2000. :(

VirtualAce
03-01-2004, 12:01 PM
I recently tried to install an I-pod on an HP pizza box system and it failed miserably. When I uninstalled the I-pod drivers, it fragged the system and the CD-ROM no longer appeared in My Computer.

Be extremely careful when installing/removing the I-pod software. There are obviously some as of yet unknown/unpublished device conflicts with certain CD-ROMS and and perhaps other and/or USB devices. It absolutely would not work in the firewire port and it would recognize in the USB port, but it would come up with an exclamation point.

Be forewarned.

major_small
03-01-2004, 01:21 PM
^ that's another thing I like about the MuVo... no drivers... windows has them all pre-installed... as long as you have PnP drivers, you should be fine... it'll just call it a 'mass storage device' and it'll look like another drive... just drag and drop files onto it... same for *nix... as far as I can tell...

you can also just do a search for media files using Windows media player, then sort by filename... then you can go to 'copy to cd or device' and it'll be listed there... it's nice because WMP tells you what will fit and what won't fit on the drive... and you don't have to go all over the place searching for the files yourself... and you can have your music (MP3/WMA) and some other files on there and it'll work fine...

RoD
03-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Thantos

If your paying as much attention as you should be when riding a streetbike you dont NEED to hear a horn. Besides, its a 400 mile ride on the highway, having a low-volume mp3 playing isnt going to hurt anything.

Im more worried about drivers who arent paying attention.

-KEN-
03-01-2004, 07:50 PM
Rio Karma. More features, more space, cheaper.

edit: Oh, in that price range...just check out any CF-based player.

Thantos
03-01-2004, 10:25 PM
If your paying as much attention as you should be when riding a streetbike you dont NEED to hear a horn
What about a siren and other general road noises?
And so you don't feel I'm being hyprocritical, I don't have a stero in my car :)

RoD
03-01-2004, 10:34 PM
i dont know i have always worn em, been riding a year.

axon
03-01-2004, 10:38 PM
>>I don't have a stero in my car

thats the marine in you Thantos....you like things rough, ;)

Waldo2k2
03-02-2004, 11:39 AM
why not just get a cd deck for your bike? or one that supports mp3? you do know it's illegal to drive with headphones on right?

RoD
03-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Waldo2k2
why not just get a cd deck for your bike? or one that supports mp3? you do know it's illegal to drive with headphones on right?

The state of NJ has no loaw against listening to ear phones while riding a street bike.

Waldo2k2
03-04-2004, 11:37 AM
>>The state of NJ has no loaw against listening to ear phones while riding a street bike.

just because there's no law against it doesn't mean it's a good idea.