PDA

View Full Version : Question about internet hosting

procyon4476
02-29-2004, 03:39 PM
I am VERY new to webpage creation, know how to create them pretty well but have never had one put up on the internet. I'm helping a friend of mine put up a store over at ebay. One of the problems with creating the store homepage is that ebay will not upload pictures for you, they all must come from another site. So my question is, does anyone know a cheap or even free way to get maybe 5-6 pictures hosted on the internet so that the ebay webpage can reference them? Googling gives me so many hits that my head hurts, and I haven't been able to find a simple one to just put a couple of pictures up.

sean
02-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Why not just try geocities?

axon
02-29-2004, 03:50 PM
...or angelfire/lycos ?

alphaoide
02-29-2004, 04:21 PM
I had this experience linking pictures from free geocities to my ebay auction and the pictures won't load. So my suggestion is to have a link to your geocities page that contains the pictures instead of just referencing the pictures.

procyon4476
02-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the help, I tried using AngelFire and so far it seems to work and the images are loading, at least in the preview page that is. Thanks again!

RoD
02-29-2004, 10:24 PM
most of the free ones done allow any (or much) hotlinking anymore.

jverkoey
02-29-2004, 10:35 PM
brinkster (http://www.brinkster.com)

is the site i was hosted by since about 2001, then they started putting ads on the site :( they used to be a completely free, no-ad, 30 mb website, only drawback is you'd get really long names (like http://www21.brinkster.com/jverkoey/tiproject/ )

but yah, they are a pretty nice community, minus the mandatory ads now :(

whee, i just noticed that that website that i linked to above is the top-ranked search result for "GAMES TI83+" at google :)

master5001
03-02-2004, 02:06 PM
A word of warning. A percentage of people are like me and disable any picture that doesn't doesn't come from the same host server as the page that loads it. When it comes to ebay i obviously right click to view the picture (unless I want a mysterious box to arrive through the mail) but that is something to keep in mind if you want to call yourself a web designer.

ober
03-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by master5001
A word of warning. A percentage of people are like me and disable any picture that doesn't doesn't come from the same host server as the page that loads it. When it comes to ebay i obviously right click to view the picture (unless I want a mysterious box to arrive through the mail) but that is something to keep in mind if you want to call yourself a web designer. I got news for you. I don't worry about people like you when I create my websites. Granted, none of them would fail your criteria, but you seriously can't expect every web designer to think of stupid little scenarios like that. :rolleyes:

master5001
03-02-2004, 03:19 PM
Yes indeed I do. If you can put images on the same site you should. And this is leading off topic so procyon4476 this doesn't necessarily apply to you. Using your logic you shouldn't use alt text and you should go ahead not set image width and height parameters because "it looks fine on my browser." I'm not flaming I am just pointing out that you should always make sure your work looks decent enough on any browser with all the common settings. And using mozilla with externally hosted images disabled is not all that uncommon.

Waldo2k2
03-02-2004, 08:00 PM
yeah i do the same thing, but it doesn't matter, if you go to ebay, you're gonna right click and show image.

You might be better off getting some ftp space somewheres...maybe you have a friend with a static ip?

ober
03-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by master5001
Yes indeed I do. If you can put images on the same site you should. And this is leading off topic so procyon4476 this doesn't necessarily apply to you. Using your logic you shouldn't use alt text and you should go ahead not set image width and height parameters because "it looks fine on my browser." I'm not flaming I am just pointing out that you should always make sure your work looks decent enough on any browser with all the common settings. And using mozilla with externally hosted images disabled is not all that uncommon. whoa whoa whoa... pull the rains in on the horse.

I never said I don't write my websites to work across multiple browsers. I also never said that I don't use alt tags and width/height properties on images. That's just common sense.

However, it is NOT my problem whether my images are on the same server or not. Like I said, all of mine are setup so that the images are on the same server, but I really wouldn't think twice about it if it was an issue.