PDA

View Full Version : C++ and Java :: Breakdown

kuphryn
02-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Hello,

I have extensive experience designing and developing applications using C++. I know Java, but I have not make any use of it in terms of real-world solution.

I often see job descriptions that ask for Java and its various tools. Many of these descriptions emphasize client/server application. I know C++ and its capability for client/server applications.

- Is Java a better solution for client/server solutions? If yes, what makes Java a better solution for client/server solution?

Based on my experience, Java does not give developer the kind of control that C++ provides. Why are companies going wild over it?

Thanks,

Kuphryn

1veedo
02-24-2004, 02:34 PM
I don't kmow and wish I knew. I don't like Java for the very reason you don't. And in comp. sci. the're teaching it! They should go back to C++ - they used to teach it.

axon
02-24-2004, 05:24 PM
this topic has been covere about a half a billion times on these boards. make a quick search

Perspective
02-24-2004, 06:48 PM
>> Java does not give developer the kind of control that C++ provides

But it does give the developer a significant development time advantage. Not just becase of the huge libraries provided but because just one client app. is needed for all platforms.

>> is it the best? (or however you asked)

definately the most cost effective in my opinion, and thats what is important to large companies.

khpuce
02-25-2004, 06:56 AM
In my understanding, creating client-server applications using RMI in Java is much easier than any other languages (I don't have to worry about sockets anymore which I hated :mad: ).