PDA

View Full Version : memory

linuxdude
02-22-2004, 10:25 PM
You think that in 20 years that good programming practices considered today will be used. There will be so much memory; some people say that it is safe to not check the malloc and see if there is enought memory. Also they say make the source look good. I have seen some poorly written code to make it look good. Do you think that computers will keep getting faster, and the programming practices will get worse at taught. I will always try to write the most efficient code(most people here would). But if the practices get worse and we aren't taking advantage of the new computing speed, why even try to have faster computers; just program the same.

scrappy
02-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Hopefully people getting into the field are doing it because they love computers and love trying to improve them. I'm sure that there will be less concern about how much memory is being used, but that shouldn't stop people from doing simple error checking.

As for good looking source code, I think that the most important thing is source code that works well and is readable (comments!). Anyways, I don't really have much perspective to go on since I haven't been programming for nearly as long as some people here. I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say.

RoD
02-22-2004, 11:32 PM
sadly enough most compies say screw commenting and documentaion, as long as it works.

joshdick
02-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I think that despite the best intentions of us programmers, our bosses will still force us to release code before it is fully optimized and secure.

One more thing:
"Memory / All alone in the moonlight / I can smile at the old days..."
Sorry, I couldn't help myself :p

scrappy
02-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Well.. then.. There's only one solution: overthrow the bosses!!

ober
02-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by scrappy
Well.. then.. There's only one solution: overthrow the bosses!! That's a good one!

I rarely get to fully comment a project that I'm working on. Hell, I barely ever get time to fully debug the thing before I release it.. which leads to requests from other engineers for fixes.

I am trying to comment more on the fly tho... if I'm sitting here thinking about how to do something, I try to comment during that time. Since commenting is usually mindless work, I can do that and ponder an algorithm at the same time.

And I've automated a lot of my error checking, so I can throw that in at the click of a button most times.

joshdick
02-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by scrappy
Well.. then.. There's only one solution: overthrow the bosses!!

WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR CHAINS!!

ober
02-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by joshdick
WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR CHAINS!! ... said the boy still in college. ;)

joshdick
02-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by ober
... said the boy still in college. ;)

LOL.

But utopian ideals I learn in college always work in the real world, right?

ober
02-23-2004, 01:48 PM
umm... sure.

BTW, have you heard the new report? Brain cells regenerate.

DRINK UP! :D