PDA

View Full Version : difference between dos and console?

Qwertop
11-09-2001, 04:21 PM
is there any difference? i read in the faq that you can do graphics in dos mode but not console. i have dev c++ and it gives me the option of a "windows application" or a "console(dos) application". can i do graphics in the "console(dos) application" mode?

Unregistered
11-09-2001, 05:14 PM
Oh jeez, last time I responded to this question Sunlight slapped me around for not being correct.

A DOS program is simply that. It's a 16-bit DOS program.

As far as I understand, a console is a 32-bit text-based Windows application. It can make use of other things "normal" Windows programs can make use of like message boxes, multi-threading, Windows API (I think), etc.

But, don't be surprised if I'm somehow wrong...

qwertiop
11-10-2001, 02:47 PM
so can i do dos graphics mode in dev c++?

Justin W
11-14-2001, 08:58 PM
A console program is just a Windows program that is pre-setup to look sorta like a DOS box program. Console programs can use Win32 API. They are also restricted like Windows programs and can not directly access hardware (thus DOS style graphics don't work).

There is a way to do quick and low level graphics, however. You just need a library designed to do this. DirectX, OpenGL, and/or Allegro (might I recommend Allegro) are all free resources suited to this task.

-Justin