PDA

View Full Version : snicker

Thantos
12-16-2003, 02:11 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/12/16/srudents.arrested.ap/index.html

Govtcheez
12-16-2003, 02:17 PM
I don't know what's funnier, the fact that the school actually arrested them for it or the stupid girl at the end whining about "cruel and unusual punishment" :rolleyes:

Thantos
12-16-2003, 02:19 PM
For me it was using the term "munchies".

Fountain
12-16-2003, 03:41 PM
The state attorney's office has 30 days to decide whether to proceed with the case.

But the Uni are punishing them, so how can they till face charges?

If the legal threat may be there, how can the UNI punish them already?

-KEN-
12-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Hey, I go to school across the street from FAU :cool:.

DISGUISED
12-16-2003, 04:05 PM
This is why i'm glad I can get a pizza delievered 24/7 where I live. Otherwise I would be forced to raid my neighbor's fridge.

Thantos
12-16-2003, 04:33 PM
f the legal threat may be there, how can the UNI punish them already?
The school's punishment is what will allow them to still remain at that school. At least the school's punishment fit the crime.

joshdick
12-16-2003, 05:59 PM
You've got to be f-ing kidding. So many people have just lost their goddamn minds.

Xei
12-16-2003, 09:24 PM
I'll show them 'cruel and unusual'...

Cleaning up for a crime isn't really that unusual, and it certainly isn't cruel. But... if they don't like that they can always be placed into an over-populated prison full of people who share any ethnic background but the student... we all know what is likely to happen there...

RoD
12-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Stupidity is the cheapest hobby - RoD, 2003

neandrake
12-16-2003, 11:38 PM
I also have this problem late at night. Pizza costs too much and no other place is open. OMFG it's a university campus, there should be some place to get food.

Thantos
12-16-2003, 11:53 PM
Thats what they made beer for :)

Xei
12-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Thantos
Thats what they made beer for :)

Don't listen to him if you are in university! It can only do you harm!

Thantos
12-17-2003, 12:51 AM
Muhahahaha
Of course I meant that only for the ones that were 21 or older and able to legally consume alchol... really, i did

Xei
12-17-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Thantos
Muhahahaha
Of course I meant that only for the ones that were 21 or older and able to legally consume alchol... really, i did

Is 21 the legal age where you are? Where are you?
Over here it is 18, but I think 21 is more suitable.

DISGUISED
12-17-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Xei
Is 21 the legal age where you are? Where are you?
Over here it is 18, but I think 21 is more suitable.

The drinking age is 21 in 99.9% of America. I know it used to be 18 in Louisiana, but I believe they changed it to 21 due to insurance laws when riverboat gambling was legalized in that state. There may be a few counties somewhere where it is still 18, none that I am personally aware of, however.

nickname_changed
12-17-2003, 05:05 AM
In Australia it's 18, we turn 18 and go to the pub and get ........ed.

I live in a small rural town down south though, where the legal age may as well be 15. Everyone here drinks, I'm a goody-goody and I started at 16, most of my friends at 14-15.

We're not naughty, it's part of our culture ;)

ober
12-17-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Xei
Don't listen to him if you are in university! It can only do you harm! bah... STFU.

-KEN-
12-17-2003, 08:15 AM
Nobody in the US drinks before they're 21. That's immoral.

JaWiB
12-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Alcohol is only bad for you if you drink too much...Actually I think it unclogs arteries (something about making the platelets less sticky) That was the explanation for why the French don't have heart attacks

Thantos
12-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Oh I thought the French's lack of heart attacks was due to their constant surrendering

Xei
12-17-2003, 01:59 PM
Yea, but I'm sure that bleach unclogs your arteries, too. Alcohol is a poison. Drunken-ness is because of the poison overcoming your body.

However, if alcohol actually does help unclog arteries then it should also unclog cholesterol from peoples veins(on the walls), reducing the risk of clotting.

minesweeper
12-17-2003, 02:00 PM
>>The drinking age is 21 in 99.9% of America.<<

Am I right in thinking that if I was a 20 year old American I could have....

Served the US by fighting in a war
Voted
Got married
Had children
Bought a house
Run a multi-national conglomerate
Been driving for sometime and own a car
Owned a gun for sometime

... but I couldn't take my wife to the pub? That's funny.

Note: I hope the people here can accept the funny side of this and not get all fired up because some foreigner dared to be in anything but sheer awe of the US.

ober
12-17-2003, 02:07 PM
You have it right. :( (Although I'm not sure about that whole "running a multi-national conglomerate" thing ;))

>>Yea, but I'm sure that bleach unclogs your arteries, too. Alcohol is a poison. Drunken-ness is because of the poison overcoming your body.

Yeah, we heard you the first ten times. STFU. :rolleyes: Honestly... unless you have tried it or have some valid reason to stand against it (other than what other people have told you), then I'm asking you to quit b1tching about it. (I'm starting to think you're just bitter because you're too young to try it legally)

Govtcheez
12-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Alcohol makes me more attractive, too. Just ask ober.

ober
12-17-2003, 02:20 PM
HELL YEAH!

So this one nite... I had a few too many drinks... and Govt stopped by....

Xei
12-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by ober5861
You have it right. :( (Although I'm not sure about that whole "running a multi-national conglomerate" thing ;))

>>Yea, but I'm sure that bleach unclogs your arteries, too. Alcohol is a poison. Drunken-ness is because of the poison overcoming your body.

Yeah, we heard you the first ten times. STFU. :rolleyes: Honestly... unless you have tried it or have some valid reason to stand against it (other than what other people have told you), then I'm asking you to quit b1tching about it. (I'm starting to think you're just bitter because you're too young to try it legally)

Bitter? lol, the more people that drink themselves to death the better off I am in life. Just think that I might have had to compete with one of these alcoholics for a job some day - but now that they are gone, no worries! Same goes for highschool, the more students that do drugs and have no lives the happier I feel about myself.

I am 18, which is the legal adult age here in Calgary. I have never been drunk and never will simply because of simple observations about what happens to people that do (valid enough?). I prefer not to become mentally incapacitated, and would rather spend my money on things like A+ exams than alcohol.

Also, my initial recommendation to students not to drink still stands. Just walk over to the nearest 7-11 and take a look at the clerk, that's where drinking & having fun will get you if you're not careful.

ober
12-17-2003, 02:24 PM
So you assume that everyone that drinks ends up in a sh1thole working at a 7-11 or braindead? Get a f-ing clue.

You are a boring anti-socialite. Admit it. You are the definition of "hardcore nerd".

There is nothing wrong with drinking alcohol. Abusing alcohol is a completely different thing. I think you should get the two straight.

minesweeper
12-17-2003, 02:25 PM
>> am 18, which is the legal adult age here in Calgary. I have never been drunk and never will simply because of simple observations about what happens to people that do (valid enough?). I prefer not to become mentally incapacitated, and would rather spend my money on things like A+ exams than alcohol.

Also, my initial recommendation to students not to drink still stands. Just walk over to the nearest 7-11 and take a look at the clerk, that's where drinking & having fun will get you if you're not careful.<<

That's just downright funny.

And for the record, I used to drink a fair bit between the ages of about 16 and 21. Didn't prevent me from getting a Masters of Engineering though. I am sure lots of people here can recount similar stories of high school and university life.

ober
12-17-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Xei
Bitter? lol, the more people that drink themselves to death the better off I am in life. Just think that I might have had to compete with one of these alcoholics for a job some day - but now that they are gone, no worries! Same goes for highschool, the more students that do drugs and have no lives the happier I feel about myself.

OH, and I had to make a seperate post about this one... I can't believe that someone would say something like this publicly.

I see you also assume that people that do drugs have no lives... I think you should talk to HillBillie about that. He smokes weed on a regular basis and he's bringing up his own computer company. And maybe you should talk to me. I drink on occasion and I'm about to get married, and I have a job as an Engineer, and I play sports... (in other words, I have a life! :eek: )

Get your head out of your ass.

Xei
12-17-2003, 02:31 PM
You are a boring anti-socialite. Admit it. You are the definition of "hardcore nerd".

Score for ober! Yes, I am anti-social and, in particular, hold no kind of popularity in todays society.

Did that make you feel better, or just remind you of yourself?

UnregdRegd
12-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Fountain
But the Uni are punishing them, so how can they till face charges?

If the legal threat may be there, how can the UNI punish them already?

The university can punish the students for violating a student code of conduct or some similar behavior contract. This does not remove the state's prerogative to prosecute this crime, even if the university is a branch of the state.

On the topic of alcohol: Beh, I don't drink. I can already sometimes be confused with being drunk or equivalent while sober.

Xei
12-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Get your head out of your ass.

Humans are not capable of placing their head into their anal canal.

Originally posted by minesweeper
>> am 18, which is the legal adult age here in Calgary. I have never been drunk and never will simply because of simple observations about what happens to people that do (valid enough?). I prefer not to become mentally incapacitated, and would rather spend my money on things like A+ exams than alcohol.

Also, my initial recommendation to students not to drink still stands. Just walk over to the nearest 7-11 and take a look at the clerk, that's where drinking & having fun will get you if you're not careful.<<

That's just downright funny.

And for the record, I used to drink a fair bit between the ages of about 16 and 21. Didn't prevent me from getting a Masters of Engineering though. I am sure lots of people here can recount similar stories of high school and university life.

There are many people who do drugs and drink alcohol that become quite successful. In fact, many celeb's have drug and alcohol abuse problems.

However, alcohol and drugs also have the potential to ruin lives and prevent success. It ruins lives each day. Would you rather encourage such use or attempt to prevent it?

Govtcheez
12-17-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Xei
However, alcohol and drugs also have the potential to ruin lives and prevent success. It ruins lives each day. Would you rather encourage such use or attempt to prevent it?
Not having social skills does the same thing.

There's nothing at all wrong with drinking responsibly. I enjoy the taste of beer, enjoy feeling drunk, but always do it responsibly, and as such, have never gotten in trouble because of it.

Xei
12-17-2003, 03:04 PM
Perhaps my opinion is slightly more shaped behind the fact that someone I knew was killed by a drunk driver 2 weeks ago.

But you know what? ... I am not even going to bother posting why, nobody cares. I'll no longer post on the Discussion Forum.

I'll leave you with this:

Govtcheez
12-17-2003, 03:09 PM
> Perhaps my opinion is slightly more shaped behind the fact that someone I knew was killed by a drunk driver 2 weeks ago.

That's terrible, but it doesn't have anything to do with drinking responsibly.

> I'll no longer post on the Discussion Forum.

:)

-KEN-
12-17-2003, 03:37 PM
> I'll no longer post on the Discussion Forum.

:D

ober
12-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Xei
Did that make you feel better, or just remind you of yourself? You won't read this because you're not posting here anymore (:rolleyes: ) but I can say with plenty of certainty that I am, in fact, quite social.

-KEN-
12-17-2003, 04:08 PM
You won't read this because you're not posting here anymore (:rolleyes: ) but I can say with plenty of certainty that I am, in fact, quite social.

And hairy.

Thantos
12-17-2003, 04:35 PM
For the record I've gotten drunk twice. First time was to find out what it felt like, second time was accidental. This is me drinking: Once every 6 to 7 weeks I buy a 6 pack of whatever and drink it over the course of 4 to 6 days.
There is nothing wrong with that. It tastes good, relaxes me a little, but I don't get drunk and do anything stupid.

The closest I've come to drinking and driving was driving after I had a beer 3 hours before.

Responsible drinking = good, unresponsible drinking = very bad.

Govtcheez
12-17-2003, 04:39 PM
I've seriously cut back on my drinking lately, mostly because I've been too busy lately to do much more than have a beer or two with dinner. I've only been drunk 3 times this term (so, since October), which is a damn sight better than most people I know up here.

edit: However, this is my last term ever, and I'll never see most of my friends after Saturday, so we're going to get plowed Friday night.