PDA

View Full Version : Online Translators

doubleanti
12-08-2003, 12:26 AM
My roommate showed me an online translator, and it's really fun to see how it works out when you translate Englisht to, say Russian, then back to English. Here's an example of a few transformations...

Original English:

Abstract

Analog Signal Processing has always been an important part of a modern musician’s equipment, particularly for electronic artists and guitarists seeking to find that ‘golden’ sound to reflect through their music. This project reflects the need for completely customizable analog processing from the circuit level to the individual transformations and process ordering. This is an indispensable capability for musicians in search of sounds that reflect what visceral musical ideas come from their imaginations.

New English:

The extract

The analogous treatment of the sign was always an important part of the machinery of the modern musician, especially for the electronic men of the art and the guitarists, who worry that to find 'zolotoj' the sound, for his music they think. This project reflects the need for completely kustomitsable of the analogous one, which goes of the level of the electrical chain before the individual transformations and the establishment of the process in the procession. It is the capacity necessary for the musicians in the searches of the tones, which they reflect, which you design of the music of the interiorities come from her imaginations.

Fun, no? =) Of course, it misses a few words, ie golden, customizable, and so forth. Have fun!

http://translation2.paralink.com

DISGUISED
12-08-2003, 01:30 AM
That's funny :D

Some of these do actually work pretty well though. I sent my friend who is spanish an email that I used a translator on and she told me it read perfectly fine. I was expecting a similar result to what you got.

Yoshi
12-08-2003, 02:16 AM
Greetings, my name - Roy, I is a magic adherent.

English -> Spanish -> Russian -> English.

Original:
Hi, my name is Roy, I am a magic addict.

DrZoidberg
12-09-2003, 03:15 AM
Hi, my name is Roy, I am a magic addict.

Translated with babel.altavista.com
English -> Japanese -> English

Today, as for my name Roy, it is the common practice person of the magic which is I

English -> Japanese -> English -> Japanese -> English

Today, because of my first-rate Roy, that is the general methodological person of I magic

afreedboy
12-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Anyone of you know online translator of thai to english???? My friend thai sometimes send me a link of thai site.

major_small
12-10-2003, 11:07 AM
somebody try freetranslation.com... I think that one's pretty good... I would but I have no time...

afreedboy
12-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by major_small
somebody try freetranslation.com... I think that one's pretty good... I would but I have no time...

Thanks for reply, but there is no option for thai to english in freetranslation.com

Zach L.
12-10-2003, 11:09 PM
I find it rather entertaining that it can translate 'customizable' to 'kustomitsable', but not the other way around ...

jEssYcAt
12-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Hmmm... Also using babel.altavista.com, I typed "I enjoy playing Dungeons & Dragons."

English -> Japanese -> English = "I enjoy the underground prison and the fact that the dragon is done."

I never knew I enjoyed staying in an underground prison. This is fun, thank you doubleanti! =)

RoD
12-11-2003, 11:32 PM
www.dictionary.com/translator

Yoshi
12-12-2003, 11:47 AM
That Philly Beef sandwich looks mightily tasty to me.

EN -> JP -> EN -> JP -> EN

In regard to the beef sandwich of the taste of Philly you see very carefully with me.

UnregdRegd
12-12-2003, 01:20 PM
"Sometimes I like to eat chocolate, but who doesn't?"

English->German->Russian->French->English:

"Sometimes I can eat the chocolate, but which does not act?"

I did the French->English translation using AltaVista Babelfish.

How did like morph into can? Simple: The German word for like is mag, which is cognate with English may. A Russian translation probably picked up the sense of German mag similar to English may than to English like. Going from Russian to French, like became peux, which can be translated as can, may, or is able to in English.

The which in Babelfish's translation from French to English could have just as easily been translated as who because French qui can be translated as who, whom, which, or what depending on context. Obviously, an automated translator is unable to tell that this sentence was asking a person.

It can be expected that the interrogative tag but who doesn't? would be translated poorly because it is a highly idiomatic expression. I'm not sure where this tag question became deformed, but my guess would be on the first translation: into German. I doubt aber wer tut nicht? is idiomatic German.

major_small
12-12-2003, 01:58 PM
>>Thanks for reply, but there is no option for thai to english in freetranslation.com

I wasn't specifically replying to you :rolleyes:

JaWiB
12-12-2003, 05:43 PM
"To be great is to be misunderstood"

English->Spanish->Russian->German->English

"to be to be bad from the big Debet ponjatym."

Wow...

And:

"Something was lost in the translation"

English->Spanish->Russian->German->English

"Something was lost in the translation"

How ironic...

Thantos
12-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Orginal: As I lay me down to sleep, my soul I pray the Lord to keep.

English -> German -> Russian -> Spanish -> English

Translated: Since I do to sleep, I read wash drown the gentleman to remain.

1veedo
12-12-2003, 06:02 PM
When will translators like this one ever work properly?

english-german-russian-spanish-english

Why do not they work, if this the translators do as him one day the right?

I hope forwards don't get forwarde through diferent countries one of these days...

afreedboy
12-14-2003, 06:54 AM
I wasn't specifically replying to you

I just ask and you reply. So I think that's for me. :confused: