PDA

View Full Version : re: Stopping Invention

SinAmerica
11-23-2003, 05:47 AM
If it were possible to go back in time, then it would be impossible to go back in time with the intention of doing anything. Doing so would create a paradox which, according to some theorys' could, destroy the universe, fade you out of existance, make something really really bad happen, or just not be able to accomplish what you want.

The reason this is so is that at point A, you want to go back in time to get rid of bunny's. So you go back to point B, kill all the bunny's and Boom, there goes the universe. Becuase, when history continues from point B to point A, (now C) you will no longer want to go back and kill bunnys becuase there are no such things as bunnys. Thus creating a Paradox.

-----------A------------------------------B--------
/
/
-----------C------------------------------

Felix
11-23-2003, 06:28 AM
Or as in DBZ and The GoldenCompass/His Dark Materials, you'd create new worlds.

frenchfry164
11-23-2003, 09:26 AM
Time travel is not possible. End of story.

Zach L.
11-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by frenchfry164

Not necessarily true. It has some interesting implications regarding causality, but has not been proven to be impossible.

Thantos
11-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Sorry I'm taking a critical thinking class so I just have to do this:

Time travel is not possible.
Proof?

You are making a claim with no evidence.

DISGUISED
11-23-2003, 11:51 AM
I'm just really sorry I ever used the word time travel in that
thread because that has nothing to do with the topic.

The question should have been worded - "Name something you wish was never invented".

Those of you that focused on the time travel part were really missing the point, but that was completely my fault and I apologize for it.

ZakkWylde969
11-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Maybe we just aren't advanced enough to use time travel, but it's possible?

DavidP
11-23-2003, 12:01 PM
>Maybe we just aren't advanced enough to use time travel, but it's possible?

We definitely are not advanced enough, and I think it would take a long time to become advanced enough.

Even if we did become that advanced, I am sure it would be rarely used and heavily restricted, not available to just anyone because of the huge implications it can have on the future.

Fahrenheit
11-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Everytime this is brought up usually some wiseass says "Nobody believed we could ever fly, either!" We could see birds fly, how many things have you seen go back in time?

ZakkWylde969
11-23-2003, 01:13 PM
No I mean it's capable of happening, but the stress of all of it on the brain or whatever is just beyond anything that we can achieve as humans.

Silvercord
11-23-2003, 01:23 PM
*wakes up dazed and foncused *
where's my mommy? are you my mommy?

frenchfry164
11-23-2003, 01:34 PM
I'll give you evidence. Time is non-existent, so if you travel through it, you have really done nothing at all. Don't ask me for evidence that time is non-existent. We are human, so time is only natural to us, it is a concept of the way our mind works.

We invented time.

Thantos
11-23-2003, 02:06 PM
Don't ask me for evidence that time is non-existent.
So you are basing your "evidence" on something else that you can not show evidence to support? Also who says that time is non-existent? Are we to believe you just because you say it is so?

BMJ
11-23-2003, 02:20 PM
If time doesn't exist, then free-will doesn't exist.

Zach L.
11-23-2003, 06:45 PM
I'll give you evidence. Time is non-existent, so if you travel through it, you have really done nothing at all. Don't ask me for evidence that time is non-existent. We are human, so time is only natural to us, it is a concept of the way our mind works.

We invented time.

What an absurd proposition!! Of course time exists. It is space which is a manifestation of our minds! ;)

Cat
11-23-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by w00tsoft
Everytime this is brought up usually some wiseass says "Nobody believed we could ever fly, either!" We could see birds fly, how many things have you seen go back in time?

Before 1969, how many things had you seen go to the moon?

Zach L.
11-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Silence! You are bringing logic into this! That's heresy!

Glirk Dient
11-23-2003, 08:47 PM
Time isn't matter or energy therefore it doesn't exist, you can't change something that isn't "real".

Time is a system we made up to help us, not something that was there and we discovered it.

Zach L.
11-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Glirk Dient
Time isn't matter or energy therefore it doesn't exist, you can't change something that isn't "real".

Time is a system we made up to help us, not something that was there and we discovered it.

Your argument fails to hold water. Time is another coordinate through which we can specify something's location. As two events cannot occur in the same location, they must either be separated by either spatial distance, time, or both. Time does exist.

SinAmerica
11-23-2003, 10:31 PM
We'll, i was saying that if time travel DID exist, it would'nt be possible to do anythign with it. But as some people have siad, time does not really exist. I suggest this (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0195145925/qid=1069648115/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2114754-9472012?v=glance&s=books) if anyone is interested in this kinda thing.

Zach L.
11-23-2003, 10:48 PM
True, true. One of a few things will happen: a) the change will cause the alternate universe to branch off; b) the universe will be stuck in some sort of infinite loop; c) causality will 'force' you to instigate the exact events that you tried to prevent, and therefore your time-travel becomes integral to your own history; d) something completely different. Regardless of whether you view time as a change, or a series of events, or some other way, it still rather distinctly separates events, and so does exist... That book looks good, by the way.

Cheers

Liger86
11-24-2003, 07:53 AM

You time travel everyday... Come on, km/hour :rolleyes:

If you are going to say that make sure you say it in a way that no one can correct you!

Liger86
11-24-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by ZakkWylde969
No I mean it's capable of happening, but the stress of all of it on the brain or whatever is just beyond anything that we can achieve as humans.

Some say that we only use aprox. 12% of our brain, so I don't think that I braine can't handle it.

Clyde
11-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Some say that we only use aprox. 12% of our brain

Yea that's actually a myth.

Felix
11-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Clyde
Yea that's actually a myth.
Doesn't it depends on what we do :confused:

Anyway, time is a funny concept. Why? Well, in the Chocomilkyway, if they had a telescope to see earth, they'd probably see dinosaurs.

Also, there's all this crap about 'Spirit, soul and body'. But it's actually just body =\

SinAmerica
11-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Studies have shown that objects traveling at a faster speed travel further in to the future. For example on the international space station, astronuats are (a really small amount of time ending in a six is all i can remember) ahead of us.

You can demonstrate this to yourself by getting two clocks that are incredibly accurate and can recognize very small amounts of time. Synchronize them, leave one at rest and drive on the highway somewhere with the other one. When you return, the clock you left at rest will be behind the clock you took with you.

EDIT: Don't drive on the high. hehe.

Liger86
11-24-2003, 12:25 PM
Sounds like if I was to live in space everyone on earth would die by the time I die, or even before (everyone my age).

Felix
11-24-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by SinAmerica
Studies have shown that objects traveling at a faster speed travel further in to the future. For example on the international space station, astronuats are (a really small amount of time ending in a six is all i can remember) ahead of us.

You can demonstrate this to yourself by getting two clocks that are incredibly accurate and can recognize very small amounts of time. Synchronize them, leave one at rest and drive on the highway somewhere with the other one. When you return, the clock you left at rest will be behind the clock you took with you.

If you take a bit of bread, and travel to the sun at lightspeed, and come back, everyone's a lot of older but the bread, and you, just are a little bit older. If you survive the sun of course.

Glirk Dient
11-24-2003, 02:30 PM
I don't see how a machine would be able to identify a time in space with our time, it wouldn't be able to identify something physical with something that doesn't exist.

Zach L.
11-24-2003, 07:26 PM
The twins paradox doesn't seem particularly pertinent to me. The reason I say this is that you haven't gone forward in time per se (at least any faster than usual from your perspective), you've just experienced a longer period of time compared to your stationary observer.

JaWiB
11-24-2003, 08:40 PM

...By that reasoning, all the clocks in our cars should be silghtly ahead of the ones in our homes, and should constantly getting farther ahead until we reset them...I'll reach a decision when I check the clock in my car :D

Zach L.
11-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Might need a Cesium clock there. ;)

frenchfry164
11-24-2003, 09:13 PM
if they had a telescope to see earth, they'd probably see dinosaurs.
Only if they started looking in it when the dinosaurs roamed earth and they are just now getting images from it.

SinAmerica
11-25-2003, 02:37 AM
Only if they started looking in it when the dinosaurs roamed earth and they are just now getting images from it.

Partly true... to them dinosours would still be roaming this planet, so they would say that when they started looking that dinosaurs roamed the earth. But when they starting looking, i was actually typing this. So dinosaurs are not really roaming the earth. Just a matter of perception.

Lurker
11-25-2003, 09:30 AM
Anyone heard of string theory? Very interesting - if it is proven true it will totally revamp our ideas of the universe! It requires the existance of 11 (!) dimentions, the 3 we know about, time, and others that are very tiny. It allows us to connect Quantum Mechanics with General Relativity, too!

Silvercord
11-25-2003, 10:49 AM
my mom is gay

Zach L.
11-25-2003, 11:58 PM
String theory only requires 10 dimensionsm I believe. If I remember correctly, the 11th is required to reconcile it with M-theory.