PDA

View Full Version : Im doing some research

zergdeath1
11-05-2003, 05:44 PM
im doing some research and i will tell you what im trying later (so you can critique it, ive learned that some people here love that) i dont have much time and want to get this post out please help if this applies to you.

Could any prgrammer who reads this post if they can speak a foriegn language, if they have tried and have trouple, if you can please tell how many languages you speak?

Could any person who can speak a foreign language please tell me if they can program or if they have tried and have had trouble.

If possible please Post in this format:

PROGRAMMER/FORIEGN LANGUAGE

CAN DO BOTH/HAVE TRIED AND HAVE TROUBLE

thanks!

master5001
11-05-2003, 05:51 PM
I can speak a bit of spanish...but that doesn't count I do live in California :)

And I've gone this far without having trouble programming.

Cat
11-05-2003, 05:57 PM
I used to speak spanish very well (not quite fluent, but I could converse in it). Been 6 years, though, without any speaking, so I'm rusty. I know some Japanese as well. I don't have a hard time with grammar or syntax, but remembering all the words can be hard.

And yes, I can program with ease.

axon
11-05-2003, 06:01 PM
First of all, this belongs in general discussion.

Secondly, I have trouble reading your post because of the way it is written.
I really don't see the relevance between speaking a language other than English and programming skill.

Anyhow I speak both Polish and French fluently. Also I understand most slavic languages.

JaWiB
11-05-2003, 06:27 PM
I must say I'm just a novice programmer, and I'm currently learning French (Not too difficult, besides pronounciation)

Iamien
11-05-2003, 06:36 PM
I been programmign a little while now, Fluent in French and english, written and spoken

bennyandthejets
11-06-2003, 12:47 AM
I am fluent in English and French, and am currently learning German. I have never had any trouble with programming languages. However, I believe this thread is more concerned with people who did not have English as a first language, seeing as most programming languages (if not all) are English based.

I agree that unless some substantial link to c++ is made, this thread should be moved to GD. Mod?

adrianxw
11-06-2003, 07:37 AM
Speak Danish, English, some German, some French. Am learning Spanish at the moment, (was at classes last night in fact).

Been a professional software developer for 20+ years.

curlious
11-06-2003, 07:58 AM
I know a little german.
I have had trouble learning both german and programming.

Prelude
11-06-2003, 08:19 AM
English, Spanish, Japanese and a little bit of Mandarin and Thai. I've also created a two of my own (based on Japanese and Quenya) that are constantly evolving. My biggest problem with spoken language is word order. I think in SVO, but I find I need SOV and VSO most commonly, that trips me up a bit. I've been a professional software engineer for about five years.

-=SoKrA=-
11-06-2003, 09:35 AM
I'm fluent in Spanish and English, learning French, I'm a novice programmer. Not had too much truble with any.

RoD
11-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Im fluent in english.

Govtcheez
11-06-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by RoD
Im fluent in english.
Liar

DISGUISED
11-06-2003, 12:16 PM
I speak fairly fluent spanish (have trouble writting it though), and a little bit of german I picked up from one of my professors in school. He used to like to count iterations in german during lectures, and after a while I realized that I was catching myself doing the samething :D

I am a full time professional.

DirX
11-06-2003, 01:49 PM
I Speak dutch, english and can understand most and speak a little german. I am a novice c++ programmerand am not having to many troubles

UnregdRegd
11-06-2003, 02:04 PM
<sarcasm>I'm not sure, but I think I've got the whole English thing down now.</sarcasm> I can read French fairly well, and I can write decent enough French, but my aural comprehension is not nearly perfect, and my speaking skills need much more practice. I'm also learning Latin, and that is somewhat tougher than French. Whenever I try to pronounce Latin, it seems to mutate into some proto-Romance language as the pronunciation errors and accidental pronunciations like French ("qui" pronounced as /ki:/ rather than /kwi:/, "v" pronounced as /v/ rather than /w/, underpronunciation or nil pronunciation of inflectional suffixes, etc.) accumulate.

<sarcasm>I haven't really tried at it, but I had a little too much trouble understanding "Hello, World" in Brainfrick to program in that language.</sarcasm>

vasanth
11-06-2003, 02:26 PM
I can read and speak English, Kannada, Hindi, Sanskrit and i can talk Malayalam, Telugu... And i am a novice programmer.. have programmed a couple of pet games like chess etc.. And you will notice that most Indians talk more than 4 to 5 languages since we have more than 27 states each having its own language.. We actually have around 120 and odd different languages in our country and you will also find that India has a huge IT resource (brain power).. I think that should answer all your questions..

JaWiB
11-06-2003, 06:59 PM
I've also created a two of my own (based on Japanese and Quenya) that are constantly evolving.

Quenya? Isn't that the language Tolkien created? What was that based on...

Prelude
11-06-2003, 07:25 PM
>Isn't that the language Tolkien created?
Yes.

>What was that based on...
The only langauge Quenya borrows from that I know of is Finnish.

Sebastiani
11-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Fairly fluent in Spanish, and speak a little French, German, and Thai. Born to program.