PDA

View Full Version : Bjaerne Stroustrup

javacvb
11-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Is he a member of this forum?

Does he post here?

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/Bjarne.jpg

He is one of the coolest guys in the world.

FillYourBrain
11-04-2003, 11:16 AM
he most likely has better things to do with his time :p

adrianxw
11-04-2003, 01:45 PM
http://www.stroustrup.com/

Govtcheez
11-04-2003, 02:28 PM
I don't know how you can post that picture and still call him cool.

Brian
11-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Is he a member of this forum

Yes he was on here the other day, debating with John Carmack about Linus Torvalds' decision to leave the board after he was insulted by Brian Kernigham and Dennis K Ritchie's comments on the Tech Board. He also replied to Bill Gates' comments on Richard Stallman's new tic tac toe game (available on the game programming board).

Govtcheez
11-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Romero used to be a mod, but he went on a power trip and got himself banned.

bennyandthejets
11-05-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
Oh I don't know, he still seems pretty cool to me.

javacvb
11-05-2003, 07:02 AM
Bjaerne Stroustrup is definitely cooler than Mr Neo Anderson of The Matrix i.e. Keanu Reeves.

Bjaerne is the Matrix.

:D

DavidP
11-05-2003, 02:40 PM
If I am correct, he is on staff at Texas A&M University....which is about 2 hours away from where I live.

LuckY
11-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Bjaerne is the Matrix.
Terrible simile. If comparing him to something in The Matrix, he would definitely have to be the Oracle.

I know what you mean. People used to say Jesus was cool then I looked at a crucifix and was like, cha, yeah right.

Yes he was on here the other day, debating with John Carmack about Linus Torvalds' decision...
I beg to differ. He only considered leaving the board at that point, but was actually banned just last week for posting a message on the C++ board asking how to write a crack.

he is on staff at Texas A&M University....which is about 2 hours away from where I live.
What an amazing coincidence! I hear that Jennifer Aniston, Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, and many other celebrities are on sets or at home in Los Angeles... which is about 1 hour away from where I live.

adrianxw
11-06-2003, 07:30 AM
>>> If I am correct, he is on staff at Texas A&M University

You are correct. I posted the link right up at the top of the thread.

kristy
11-09-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Govtcheez
I don't know how you can post that picture and still call him cool. Bjarne (http://www.research.att.com/pics/bs.jpg) rocks! Nerdy girls love nerds like him. hehe ;) :D

CompiledMonkey
11-09-2003, 01:51 PM
I don't see how he can be a professor and even chair (if I'm reading this correctly) without having a PhD.

LuckY
11-09-2003, 02:56 PM
I don't see how he can be a professor and even chair (if I'm reading this correctly) without having a PhD
Easy, just create the most widely used programming language in the world.

CompiledMonkey
11-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by LuckY
Easy, just create the most widely used programming language in the world.

Doesn't matter. You need to at least be in a graduate program to be an associate professor. To be a full professor you need to have a PhD. Knowledge is great, but you've got to be able to teach.

LuckY
11-09-2003, 03:05 PM
Doesn't matter.
Obviously it does because, as I read somewhere recently, he is "a professor and even chair without having a PhD".

CompiledMonkey
11-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Obviously it does because, as I read somewhere recently, he is "a professor and even chair without having a PhD".

Ever heard of hype? He's got it because of who he his. Show me another person in that position without a PhD.

Fordy
11-09-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by CompiledMonkey
Ever heard of hype? He's got it because of who he his. Show me another person in that position without a PhD.

Does everyone with a Phd have a legacy of the magnitude of Mr Stroustrup? Dont think so......millions of PhDs in the world...impressing your academical peers is one thing.....pioneering and developing something which can stand up to the rate of change that Computer Science has experienced in the last 20 years and then still find itself at the top is another

CompiledMonkey
11-09-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Fordy
Does everyone with a Phd have a legacy of the magnitude of Mr Stroustrup? Dont think so......millions of PhDs in the world...impressing your academical peers is one thing.....pioneering and developing something which can stand up to the rate of change that Computer Science has experienced in the last 20 years and then still find itself at the top is another

I don't disagree at all, but I still stand by my opinion.

LuckY
11-09-2003, 03:17 PM
You are totally falling back on your point. This is a joke. You ask why he is a professor, I tell you why, you tell me it doesn't matter, I tell you it does matter, you tell me okay it does matter but I should find another example... Very annoying.

CompiledMonkey
11-09-2003, 03:20 PM
You are totally falling back on your point. This is a joke. You ask why he is a professor, I tell you why, you tell me it doesn't matter, I tell you it does matter, you tell me okay it does matter but I should find another example... Very annoying.

What the hell are you talking about? All you said was he's a professor because he created C++. I said doing that doesn't qualify him to be a college level professor, much less a chair. Plain and simple.

LuckY
11-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by CompiledMonkey
I don't disagree at all, but I still stand by my opinion.
You are quite ridiculous. You are standing by your opinion? It's not an opinion; you are stating fact. You are saying he cannot be a professor (let alone chair) because he doesn't have a PhD, yet he is and he doesn't. That is not an opinion. You are stating factual lies.
And you call his genious "hype"? Okay so then I suppose Einstein's little theory of relativity was just hype since he didn't graduate elementary school and didn't know how to tie his shoes, right?

LuckY
11-09-2003, 03:21 PM
I said doing that doesn't qualify him to be a college level professor
No, you said: To be a full professor you need to have a PhD.

CompiledMonkey
11-09-2003, 03:23 PM
Could you take my words out of context any further?

What I stated previously is the norm for professors. I also am saying he shouldn't be a professor just because he created C++. Is that clear enough for you?

the Wookie
11-09-2003, 06:39 PM
in this book im reading called "go to", it says that he does have a PhD from stanford or cambridge. one of those two.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0465042260/qid=1068424753/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-2012347-5064835?v=glance&s=books

they have a whole chapter on everything he did..including detailed stuff on how he created c++ using simula concepts and all that jazz. good book.

and then another full chapter on simonyi (who created the hungarian notation because well...he was hungaian), and how he created bravo at xerox PARC and then partered with bill gates and they created word which was based on bravo.

ZakkWylde969
11-09-2003, 07:13 PM
I'm probably going to get practically raped for asking this. but in my young years and limited knowledge I have no clue who he is..So...Who is he?

the Wookie
11-09-2003, 07:33 PM
he practically created c++

Lurker
11-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Well - he basically did. He developed and standardized the language, with some help, of course.

CompiledMonkey
11-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by the Wookie
in this book im reading called "go to", it says that he does have a PhD from stanford or cambridge. one of those two.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0465042260/qid=1068424753/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-2012347-5064835?v=glance&s=books

they have a whole chapter on everything he did..including detailed stuff on how he created c++ using simula concepts and all that jazz. good book.

and then another full chapter on simonyi (who created the hungarian notation because well...he was hungaian), and how he created bravo at xerox PARC and then partered with bill gates and they created word which was based on bravo.

That makes a lot more sense. Thank you.

XSquared
11-09-2003, 09:05 PM
If you'd bothered to read his web page (http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bio.html), you'd have noticed quite quickly that he earned a Ph.D. in Computer Science from Cambridge in '79.

ZakkWylde969
11-09-2003, 09:33 PM
How do you pronounce his name?

EvBladeRunnervE
11-09-2003, 09:41 PM
isnt it something like:

Bee-Yarn Str-ow-strup?

XSquared
11-09-2003, 10:11 PM
Again, it's on his site (http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#pronounce).

joshdick
11-09-2003, 10:25 PM
According to his homepage (http://parasol.tamu.edu/~bs/) at Texas A&M, he's teaching a single 600 level course. I think that he ought to be made to teach an introductory C++ programming course. Try to imagine what that'd be like :p

kristy
11-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by EvBladeRunnervE
isnt it something like:

Bee-Yarn Str-ow-strup? Not completely correct. The 'e' in the end of 'Bjarne' shoul also be pronounced. I guess Adrian knows this best, though. :)