PDA

View Full Version : squeeling the tires on your car

Leeman_s
10-23-2003, 08:02 PM
I can't seem to squeel the tires on my car. It's a rear wheel drive V8 crown victoria. From a stop I press the gas pedal down pretty far, and it makes a monstrous noise, the front end picks up, it accelerates fast, but I want a squeel! Do I need to hold the break down for a split second while I push down the accelerator pedal?

XSquared
10-23-2003, 08:04 PM
It's a lot harder to squeal with a RWD car than a FWD. I have a 98 Grand Am GT (FWD, V6), and I can easily squeal the tires on it, just by flooring it off the line.

axon
10-23-2003, 08:10 PM
I don't know why you would want to do such a thing with you (I'm guessing here) dad's car. HEHE. The reason you probably can't "peal" out is bacause your car is equiped with traction control, limitting the slip of the tires. Another reason...its a Ford crown victoria. But to surely peal out follow these steps:

1. put car in neutral
2. rev up to 5K RPMs
3. drop tranny to drive....hehe

The only problem with this is that you can screw up your tranny. So I wouldn't recommend it. But if you really want to make some noise/smoke with your tires get a stick. Slip into first from 6K RPMs, and enjoy. My 2001 elantra still peals going into second gear. hehe.

I'm glad my Talon TSi is all wheel drive though, even with a slip or a dump there is no pealing just perfect pick up.

axon
10-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by XSquared
It's a lot harder to squeal with a RWD car than a FWD. I have a 98 Grand Am GT (FWD, V6), and I can easily squeal the tires on it, just by flooring it off the line.

actually you are very wrong. Think about the following cars: Mustang, TransAm, Camaro, 300zx, RX7, Supra, etc etc. All RWD, and all will peal out with more "squelling" and smoke then almost any FWD car.

major_small
10-23-2003, 08:12 PM
^ i was gonna suggest that... manuals are fun ;)

Leeman_s
10-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Are there any cool V8 manual cars you can get for cheap that work good? The vic is really old, but picks up fast I think. It really sounds like a monster when you accelerate fast.

Thantos
10-23-2003, 08:18 PM
Another reason for not squeeling your tires: It is considered an exhibition of speed and can carry a heavy fine.

Leeman_s
10-23-2003, 08:24 PM
For real you can get fined for it?

axon
10-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Leeman_s
Are there any cool V8 manual cars you can get for cheap that work good? The vic is really old, but picks up fast I think. It really sounds like a monster when you accelerate fast.

tell me why would you want to get a V8 car? if you have extra money to spend for gas, than send it my way:)

Almost all V8's are American, they boast huge engines yet the HP in most is quite low for the size, and even though they have big torque, most are horribly slow due to their weight. I mean I love the ads saying "200-something horsepower, more torque then any in the class" for American cars, yet they fail to mention that the car weights 3 damn tons!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the ocassional domestic but preffer european.

axon
10-23-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Thantos
Another reason for not squeeling your tires: It is considered an exhibition of speed and can carry a heavy fine.

In illinois you could get your liscence taken away; the violation is called reckless driving though.

axon
10-23-2003, 08:35 PM
leeman, to make your CV go faster equip it with a variety of decals (at least 20), and a huge alluminum bike rack (spoiler). Each decal adds anywhere from 3 to 5HP! wow! and the spoiler...well that just looks wicked. HEHE I hope all you know that I'm being sarcastic. I love the people who put thousands of dollars into their cars looks, and nothing for the performance. All show no go, as they say.

Many times a civic will pull up to my elantra....ground effects, 5 inch mufller, bigarz spoiler, accesorized with a variety of decals, and is reving up the engine. Mind you, the only thing I have done on the outside of the eleantra is tinted windows, nothing else. I beat the civic by at least two car lengths. Now lets compare the pricing. New civic around $15K, new elantra $11.5K, all his accesories ~$3K, my intake and full exhaust including downpipe and headers $1K. so 18K to 12.5K. kinda funny.

JaWiB
10-23-2003, 09:22 PM
I've got my permit and I "get" to drive my mom's van (plymouth voyager) which is fw drive...I keep spinning the tires every time I accelerate quickly, but it just makes me mad...especially when I was getting honked at for trying to change lanes (no one wanted to let me in :mad: )

confuted
10-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Does anyone else agree with me that the acceleration on a Jeep Cherokee (inline 6 cylinder) is really awesome for an SUV?

I spun out the other day, but it was completely accidental. The road was a little wet and I was accelerating from a start going around a corner, and I guess I turned a bit hard. Oh well, no damage done, and I don't drive like that on purpose.

TravisS
10-24-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by confuted
Does anyone else agree with me that the acceleration on a Jeep Cherokee (inline 6 cylinder) is really awesome for an SUV?

No, not really :p

For quite some time though the Grand Cherokee V8 was the quickest (0-60) SUV on the planet. That changed though when the Mercdes M series was released. No of course we've got a turbo Porsche to go against :eek:

The 4 liter inline 6 is a pretty impressive engine though, not great, but given it's age it's still doing quite good :)

akirakun
10-24-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by axon
actually you are very wrong. Think about the following cars: Mustang, TransAm, Camaro, 300zx, RX7, Supra, etc etc. All RWD, and all will peal out with more "squelling" and smoke then almost any FWD car.

i might be wrong but i think it would be easier to peel out with fwd. i thought one of the advantages of rwd over fwd was better traction when taking off from a complete stop (of course awd would be the best in this scenario).

also, seems like anything fwd has a little inline 4 banger whereas rwd has v6 or bigger (except in something like an s2000, a rwd car with i4). so rwd might burn rubber easier but only because its most likely equipped with a more powerful engine, not because it is rwd.

axon
10-24-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by akirakun
i might be wrong but i think it would be easier to peel out with fwd. i thought one of the advantages of rwd over fwd was better traction when taking off from a complete stop (of course awd would be the best in this scenario).

true, if the rwd is equipped with a limited slip differential.

TravisS
10-24-2003, 12:33 AM
Yes, it's much easier to spin your tires on a FWD car. It's all about pushing vs. pulling. Try this:

In a FWD car try to spin your tires in reverse (going straight backwards, not turning). This is kinda like trying to spin your tires with RWD. It's very difficult.

In a RWD car try and spin your tires in reverse as well... take note on how much easier it is compared to going forward.

FWD also has the added advantage of the handbrake. Lock the rear wheels and floor it :) You can power brake with RWD, but it's no where near as easy plus there's still braking forces on the power wheels.

axon
10-24-2003, 12:45 AM
I don't agree travis. Its hard to squeel the tires when in reverse in a FWD not because you are pushing, its because when going in reverse, less power is transferred to the axle.

I used to have a 6banger, then a V8 Mustnags, both squeeled like mad when gas was pushed a bit too hard.

By your explanations, RWD should handle better than FWD on any surface. I think we can both agree that is not the case.

Also, break-torque is quite easy in a RWD.

axon
10-24-2003, 12:45 AM
EDIT:: errr....double post...sorry

TravisS
10-24-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by axon
By your explanations, RWD should handle better than FWD on any surface. I think we can both agree that is not the case.

Also, break-torque is quite easy in a RWD.

I guess that depends on your definition of better handling :) For me, personally, I'd rather have a little oversteer. Now yes on ice a little can turn into a lot... but so? :p

Brake torque can be rather difficult... unless you drive an automatic. In a manual, it's totally different. Requires a good deal of fancy foot work, certainly something I have never been able to master, but then again I no longer drive a RWD vehicle.

Anyway, it took a while, but I found what I believe to be the correct gear ratio's for my car. 1st is 3.285 and reverse is 3. Now, if reverse is so close to 1st, why would it be harder to spin the tires? Certainly the amount of power being transfered it nearly the same.

alpha
10-24-2003, 10:55 AM
no matter how much you want to do this, do not do a neutral drop. i'm glad axon warned against it as well; it's what he described in his first post. if you really want to squeal the tires, if it's an auto, just hold the brake down, accelerate to the point of where it just starts to creep, and then let go of the brake.

Leeman_s
10-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Heh, that sounds a bit bad for the car as well...

lightatdawn
10-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Get bald tires...

No really, I hope you understand that tire squeeling = no traction. No traction = poor acceleration. The whole idea is to not get tire squeeling.

-KEN-
10-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by lightatdawn
Get bald tires...

No really, I hope you understand that tire squeeling = no traction. No traction = poor acceleration. The whole idea is to not get tire squeeling.

But d00d itz kewl cuz it makes loud noises!!!!!1111!!!1;1kj1`

Xei
10-26-2003, 11:13 PM
RWD should be far simpler to cause squeeling. Squeeling is caused by destabalizing the vehicle (IE: Losing traction or grip) which is only useful for specific driving techniques. Doing this at a start is normally useless. FWD's are far more difficult to squeel, they are also made to understeer - so trying to show off your squeel to a car on the street would likely only get you a stunting fine.