PDA

View Full Version : My Cadence

frenchfry164
10-15-2003, 10:42 PM
Okay I'm starting a new "series". I'm writting a drumline cadence for my marching band (no, not the movie), and I am posting it online in MIDI format. You should be able to stream it. But anyways, every time I add something I'll make a reply to this post. I want you to tell me what you think. I know it sounds like crap, but you can just thank Finale's crappy MIDI mapper that you have to program for every fricken song!

PS: This is only half the song, and the only parts written are for basses and snare. Since the only good snare finale has is a concert snare, it pretty much cancels out the basses :rolleyes:

http://nebsoft.tripod.com/revolution.MID

edit: since I can't get drum rolls to sound like drum rolls, they suck too. :D

frenchfry164
10-16-2003, 02:45 PM
I added a little more bass to it. The bass is done except a little polishing.

golfinguy4
10-16-2003, 06:06 PM
And that's for a marching band?

It entirely lacks a march feel to it.

frenchfry164
10-18-2003, 10:07 PM
:rolleyes: and what do you know about marching band

It'll be better when I finish it

SirKnightTG
10-20-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by golfinguy4
And that's for a marching band?

It entirely lacks a march feel to it.

Dude what are you talking about? That mid song works great for a marching band.

frenchfry164
10-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Okay I just posted a new version of my MID file on the site. I took the rolls out of the MID, because it sounds bad on MID files.

The new version has a "alpha version", if you will, of the snare, and the rest of the bass. I should have the quads done shortly, and then I can present it to the drumline.

edit: thx dude. A lot of people associate marching band music with the type John Phillip Sousa wrote, but marching band has changed a LOT since then.

golfinguy4
10-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by frenchfry164
:rolleyes: and what do you know about marching band

It'll be better when I finish it

Lead baritone in my band and marching band. I don't know what marching bands you've heard... but any real marching band you'll see (not that halftime march to form shapes crap) will play a lot better stuff.

frenchfry164
10-20-2003, 05:05 PM
Have you heard of in-the-works progress? Oh, and you're a baritone player? Yeah, I figured you'd be a wind player :rolleyes:. Have you ever heard of MID files? THEY SOUND LIKE CRAP! I should show you the sheet music, than you can decide. Do you use finale? I can send you a MUS file.

Oh yeah, it's finished now, if you click that link again you'll be able to listen to the rest of it.

PS: No hard feelings dude, I don't mean to sound like a jerk when I said, what do you know about marching band. I meant to put a :p after it.

PPS: I've been to SEVERAL DCI shows and I've been in quite a few competitions. You're probably college level, so it would sound like crap to you, but this is for a high school band.

PPPS: I want to show off too! I've been lead snare for two years in concert and jazz band and I'm lead bass this year.

edit: crap, I accidently made the snare mezzo-forte, I'll correct it real quick.

JaWiB
10-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Sounds good to me...although I hate playing in marching band :-\ I prefer concert music, although it can be fun trying to play all those high notes above the staff :D

golfinguy4
10-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by frenchfry164
Oh, and you're a baritone player? Yeah, I figured you'd be a wind player :rolleyes:.

A wind player? You have never seen a baritone I guess. A baritone is not the same as a barrie sax. Think of a euphonium with 3 keys and the same finger combinations as a trumpet/cornet.

If you didn't get the above, I'M BRASS!!!

JaWiB
10-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Read his post again...Think carefully...He said wind not woodwind :rolleyes: Brass instruments are wind instruments as well!

frenchfry164
10-22-2003, 03:42 PM
lol! I knew what a baritone was, my friend plays it.

Oh, and if you want to see the sheet music, http://www.finalemusic.com/showcase/fs_view_item.asp?file_id=12570&from_view=search

I'm going to change a bunch of the snare around, as it doesn't match the music now that I got quads written in.

golfinguy4
10-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Where are you people from? Traditionally, whenever I've heard wind it has been refering to woodwind. When someone wants to refer to non-percussion instruments, they say "are not percussion."

Anyways, I often chill at two of my friends' houses who are drummers (one is very very good) and even play a bit myself. So, the whole lack of percussion knowledge is bull.