PDA

View Full Version : I've reached a new level of nerdiness.

joshdick
10-14-2003, 01:28 PM
In brief, I asked out a girl using a C++ program I wrote.

She's in my English class. Class today was held in our college's library to get us acquainted with the databases, blah, blah, blah. I'm bored. The computers we're sitting in front of have compilers. I write up a little program to ask her out to a movie tonight.

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
char ans;
cout << "Hey, wanna go to a movie tonight?" << endl
<< "Enter y for yes or n for no: ";
cin >> ans;
if(ans == 'y')
cout << "Cool." << endl;
else
cout << "Oh well." << endl;
return 0;
}

I ran the program and told her to take a look at it. She leaned over, read it, and entered y. Tonight, I'm going to see a movie with her. I asked a girl out through a program. I think that means I've reached a new level of nerdiness.

-KEN-
10-14-2003, 01:47 PM
I suppose it would be cute if done right, actually. Never do it again, though (to her, at least).

axon
10-14-2003, 01:54 PM
I'm more worried about that girl than you.

major_small
10-14-2003, 02:03 PM
what if she enters 'Y' or 'N'?

the program actually stopped so you could read the answer?

the program ran? (std::?)

BMJ
10-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Cute :)

kermit
10-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by -KEN-
I suppose it would be cute if done right, actually. Never do it again, though (to her, at least).

I concur - And good work to get the date - but if it were to eventually turn out that you two hit it off and want to get married, do not bring a laptop with a program on it asking her to marry you... :D

....Hmmm...yes, that is my advice..

/~

DISGUISED
10-14-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by kermit
I concur - And good work to get the date - but if it were to eventually turn out that you two hit it off and want to get married, do not bring a laptop with a program on it asking her to marry you... :D

....Hmmm...yes, that is my advice..

/~

Actually, I think that would be the perfect way to ask her to marry him because then it would be just like the first time he asked her out. Then he could write a program for anniversarys and just use the same legacy code every year :D

-KEN-
10-14-2003, 04:15 PM
That's what I was thinking :).

joshdick
10-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Sorry about that omission. The working version did have using namespace std; in it. I just forgot it in this post. And as for hitting it off, who knows? College is full of possibilities ;)

Fahrenheit
10-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Quite nerdy, but who cares? It seemed to have worked. Would you consider her hot?

joshdick
10-14-2003, 10:39 PM
Yes, I would most definitely consider her hot. We just spent like the last hour just talking in my dorm room. She's amazing. We agree on many things, but remain different on several things as well. I think I've found someone wonderful. I can only hope that she feels the same way.

major_small
10-15-2003, 06:16 AM
i told my girlfriend i liked her (before we went out) in uncompiled C++ code because I didn't want her to understand it, but she made me tell her anyway... :rolleyes:

axon
10-15-2003, 06:43 AM
i told my girlfriend i liked her (before we went out) in uncompiled C++ code because I didn't want her to understand it, but she made me tell her anyway...

I write up a little program to ask her out to a movie tonight.

Doesn't anyone else see something wrong with this picture? is it just me? I'm as nerdy as the next guy, but geez...one could call this unconventional, but I just call it plain ol' weird. joshdick or major_small, have you ever tried the "usual" way? I mean, I couldn't possibly think any girl could find what you guys did romantic.

major_small
10-15-2003, 07:07 AM
have you ever tried the "usual" way?umm... lemme think about that... no.
I mean, I couldn't possibly think any girl could find what you guys did romantic.you obviously haven't met my g/f

not only was it in uncompiled C++ code, there was 15 miles in between us and it was through an IM... yes, i knew her s/n before i knew her number...

Brian
10-15-2003, 08:52 AM
How I would've done it.

else
FILE *fp = fopen("c:\\con\\con","r");

But then the computers at my school are unpatched 98 boxes...

joshdick
10-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Yes, of course I have asked girls out normally. I did this in this manner because I was bored in class and the oppurtunity presented itself. It may not be what is conventially thought of as romantic, but I think at the very least it was cute.

RoD
10-15-2003, 10:57 AM
i feel i should have a remark for this....but im at a loss.....good job i guess!

PJYelton
10-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Hey, kudos to you. From my experience, girls dig memorable and unique experiences to traditional one. Shows you care enough to try instead of simply going through the motions that have been done millions of times before.

Silvercord
10-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Are you getting laid?

RoD
10-15-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Silvercord
Are you getting laid?

hahaha good one man, lol

UnregdRegd
10-15-2003, 12:29 PM
Hmm, the most I've ever done like this is change the DOS prompt to say "Hello!" instead of "C:\>". It got a laugh but not a date.

I didn't know girls were supposed to say yes though. Isn't the answer always supposed to be "No, but it was nice talking to you," "I'm already seeing someone, sorry," "That's a riot! Oh, you were serious?" or some other variant? I presumed all couples currently together have been together since the beginning of time and, thus, the Rule of No does not apply to them.

Anyway, I laud your ingenious solution to the Rule of No problem. You're an inspiration to all of us in Patria Geekorum.

kermit
10-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Josh's idea is good. Here is what I might have tried, had I thought of something like that...

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{

int c = 0;

printf( "\n\nWould you like to go out on a date with me tonight?\n\n" );
printf( "Press 1 for 'yes' and 0 for 'no'.\n\n" );
scanf( "%d", &c );
if( c == 1 )
printf( "\nCool\n\n" );
else if( c == 0 )
printf( "\nHmmmm....you must not have understood the question. Please try again.\n\n" );
else printf( "\nYou are not a suitable date on the grounds of there being a lack of intelligence on your part.\n\n" );
return 0;
}

Hey, no jabs about scanf() either....

Lurker
10-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Haha, good job :D .

major_small
10-15-2003, 07:47 PM
Are you getting laid? yeah... actually we fool around pretty much every chance we get...

i couldn't find the example i gave before, but here's another one... it's kinda the same... it's from the first week (i think) we were going out:
gf: now that u know im really stupid and ugly inside and ugly w/ out make ^
me: char*answer="no";
cout<<"The answer is"<<answer;
me: your not stupid or ugly...
gf: c ur changing the subject b/c u kno its truethe one i was talking about before was longer and, like i said, we weren't going out yet... but yeah, it's been over a year and four months now...

Silvercord
10-15-2003, 10:47 PM
yeah... actually we fool around pretty much every chance we get...

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING POSTING ON THESE BOARDS YOU STUPID MOTHER $$$$ER...GO AND REPRODUCE...GOD $$$$ING DAMMIT THERE SHOULD BE A RULE AGAINST COMING TO THIS $$$$ING GOD DAMN PIECE OF $$$$ $$$$ING SITE IF YOU ARE $$$$ING GETTING SOME

DAMMIT!

asdfjasdflkuhawo tmilk

EDIT: sorry for that outburst...you must make little programmers...

frenchfry164
10-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Okay, now it's my turn to ask a question.

joshdick
10-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Are you getting laid?

At the moment, no. Have I ever? Yes. Will I soon? Only time will tell.

major_small
10-16-2003, 05:46 AM
sorry for that outburst...you must make little programmers... we will... we will... i'm 18 she's 17... we can wait a bit... bwahhaha... we will take over the world... or not...