PDA

View Full Version : scientific calculators with compilers?

Terrance
10-06-2003, 02:27 PM
I was reading another thread, and everyone said they spend their whole entire math class coding.

Anyways, this led me to believe that there's calculators out there with compilers on them.

Anyways, if not, are there any good pda with compilers on them.

frenchfry164
10-06-2003, 02:31 PM
A lot of calculators have a scripting language you can use. TI-83 has a BASIC-like scripting language.

You CAN compile stuff for a calculator, but you usually compile it on a computer and send it over with a link cable.

Terrance
10-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Cool, thanks.

Is there a c++ or java compiler for any scientific calculators?

Iamien
10-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Generaly you gota use the calculator's assembly language
Which could be fun to learn ;)

UnregdRegd
10-06-2003, 04:57 PM
My graphing calculator has the rudiments of a BASIC-style programming language, but it sucks to type anything on a graphing calculator. If you program in your math class using your graphing calculator, you have much more tolerance for tedium than I do.

I think you can get a C compiler for the TI-8X series of calculators, but I don't know how much that would cost or what features it would have (I don't think it would be considered a hosted implementation of C). I think the TI-LINK software includes some assembler for the Z80.

JaWiB
10-06-2003, 06:16 PM
>>Generaly you gota use the calculator's assembly language
Which could be fun to learn

Sounds like a good idea...Where do they have information for that--on the website?

TravisS
10-06-2003, 08:29 PM
You can use C on the 89/92 series calcs. It's not natively supported, but then again the only language that is natively supported is TI-BASIC. I don't believe a C compiler has been created for any of the other calcs.

Assembly is an option for pretty much all TI calculators.