PDA

View Full Version : Wtf

frenchfry164
09-28-2003, 07:36 PM
I just noticed that if I turn up my headphones on my computer and move a scrollbar that it make a slight humming noise. Is something not shielded correctly or something?

axon
09-28-2003, 07:49 PM
all the computers I've owned due the same thing...I think it is somekind of a noise that is permitted when transferring electric ranges...but I'm probably wrong...

axon

confuted
09-28-2003, 08:28 PM
Ditto. I've had it happen too.

ZerOrDie
09-28-2003, 08:47 PM
get your electrical pencil sharpener and plug it in 1-2 feet away from your CRT monitor, lift it off the table and proceed to sharpen a pencil... the effects are interesting to say the least and have everything to do with magnetic fields ;) the concept for the headphones is pretty much the same

Shadow
09-29-2003, 01:30 AM
Yeah, the electric pencil sharpner beside your CRT monitor will make you freak out first time. *GASP* My POOR MONITOR!!!!!!Q$#@!$!@#%

I've never had the headphone thing happen though. :-/ I have my home theatre/surround sound system wired into my computer. My receiver amps my computer VIA 1/8" headphone plug --> 2 gold RCA plugs --> Receiver. Never had it happen with headphones either. Of course, to achieve an increase in volume, I always plug my earphones directly into the sound card's output instead of the speaker's headphone jack.

Ah well.

Indian_fan
09-29-2003, 09:46 PM
I had kept my cell phone near my monitor ... and just then I received a call :)

I was aghast for a moment ! :)

Waldo2k2
09-29-2003, 10:14 PM
edit:: nm, i completely misread the post... wow...umm...

in my vast knowledge of electricity and radiant energy:
basically, electricity creates noise, so does the tube inside your monitor. Sound in your headphones is the result of electricity, now, electricity being a noise generator is also easily affected by noise from other sources ( I can make machine parts move by crossing wires over one another :)). When you move the scroll bar the monitor is quickly changing the colors of the pixels, etc. You ever notice the refresh rate is measure in hZ? Ahh, a clue! The frequency of this creates line noise going to your headphones, thus, the humming. I'm sure you could recreate this situation with a lot of things besides the scroll bar.