PDA

View Full Version : award for best internet hoax



volk
09-28-2003, 03:41 PM
My nomination for the best internet hoax award goes to this website. (http://www.johntitor.com/)

Does anyone have any nominees of there own? :)

confuted
09-28-2003, 04:13 PM
mslinux.com

ZakkWylde969
09-28-2003, 04:18 PM
volk can I just say that that entire thing was way beyond me in how much time that man had to have spent in making a hoax that complex and all.

Jeremy G
09-28-2003, 05:31 PM
http://www.bonsaikitten.com/

volk
09-28-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by ZakkWylde969
volk can I just say that...

Nope, sorry, you can't say that. :D

Besides, it wasn't that complex. That man only made about five major predictions, and photoshop isn't all that challenging once you learn it.

I like the bonzai kittens thing more since that actually made news headlines.

ZakkWylde969
09-28-2003, 09:09 PM
It was more than that. It was the fact that he was really precise and all with what he said and all that crap. It was just really thoughough (spelled wrong I just know it) with what he said. Someone just had a bunch of time on their hands

RoD
09-28-2003, 09:42 PM
that entire thing was way beyond me

That was hard :rolleyes:

Jeremy G
09-28-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by ZakkWylde969
It was more than that. It was the fact that he was really precise and all with what he said and all that crap. It was just really thoughough (spelled wrong I just know it) with what he said. Someone just had a bunch of time on their hands


Actually - it wasn't very thorough at all. Especially when talking about the 5100 machine - he was always saying : Im sure an old engineer will be able to tell you about the secret feature. He kept saying things - and then "Oh im sure Some one out there can proove it-or say what it is".. He couldnt say anything specific cuase it would easily be proved or disproved. The general vagueness of all his statements are just ways to fool people.

BMJ
09-28-2003, 11:05 PM
The whole John Titor thing is a FUN read, honestly. But he speaks of 2036 as if it were 2360... I mean, 30 years isn't THAT much time.

volk
09-28-2003, 11:53 PM
In my opinion, the bonsai kittens thing was more elaborate and well-made than that John Titor thing. So I guess we have a winner. ;)

Govtcheez
09-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by volk
In my opinion, the bonsai kittens thing was more elaborate and well-made than that John Titor thing. So I guess we have a winner. ;)
Plus, I've had so many forwards sent to me "OMG WE NEED TO STOP THIS MENACE NOW!" that it makes me sick.

BMJ
09-29-2003, 01:30 PM
btw volk.... making your posts' text in blue is not cool :D

Brian
09-29-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by volk
My nomination for the best internet hoax award goes to this website. (http://www.johntitor.com/)

Does anyone have any nominees of there own? :)
he isnt a hoax
he is real.

confuted
09-29-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by BMJ
btw volk.... making your posts' text in blue is not cool :D

To quote Volk from 8/8/2003,


What's with the blue font?

It's the new thing now. You're obviously not very good at keeping up with the lastest trends.

The first part is what I asked. His text, of course, was blue.

volk
09-29-2003, 05:12 PM
btw volk.... making your posts' text in blue is not cool :D

Similar things can be said about your avatar...

he isnt a hoax
he is real.

No one ever said the actual person was a hoax.

Let's jump Brian if he gets out of hand! (Baseball bats are definitely welcome.) :cool:


And I guess blackrat is starting to follow some trends himself since he changed his name to confuted and has a new avatar. Oh, and look at this cool green font.

confuted
09-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by volk
And I guess blackrat is starting to follow some trends himself since he changed his name to confuted and has a new avatar. Oh, and look at this cool green font.
Yeah, and if you hung around here more, you'd know that it was me. It was in my profile for over a week. Everyone else knew. Geeze, Volk, what a loser. Having a life outside cprog.

-KEN-
09-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by confuted
Yeah, and if you hung around here more, you'd know that it was me. It was in my profile for over a week. Everyone else knew. Geeze, Volk, what a loser. Having a life outside cprog.

I've thought you were just some member that I'd never paid any attention to until now. Good to know I'm not that unobservant.

major_small
09-29-2003, 08:09 PM
what about this site: http://www.go-l.com/

JamesM
09-30-2003, 05:00 AM
http://bill.gates.swellserver.com/news/top_stories/worldrecord.php

civix
10-02-2003, 06:11 PM
>Similar things can be said about your avatar...

Shut up.

>And I guess blackrat is starting to follow some trends himself since he changed his name to confuted and has a new avatar. Oh, and look at this cool green font.

Get a life.

Any Questions? :o

volk
10-03-2003, 02:15 PM
"Shut up," said the drugged, bloated penguin.

While using his spare time to assuage his penchant for steering others from following his path to being a miserable failure, he added, "Get a life."

After exemplifying the effects of drug use, he then asked, "Any Questions?"

But before leaving, he left everyone with a picture of his usual drug mood. ----->:o

Tride
10-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Man, I wish I saw all of that John Titor stuff while it was going on. I probably would have been very interested in it.

Here's the one that gets my vote:

March 8, 2003 (http://www.wakemanpublishing.com/8march2003/default.html)

It wasn't well thought out and wasn't really meant to fool people (I don't think, anyway), but it got a lot of people to think it was real. It was so much fun to read his entries. When March 8th finally came and he showed the pictures, I (as well as many other people) was no longer interested and stopped going to the site.

civix
10-04-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by volk
"Shut up," said the drugged, bloated penguin.

While using his spare time to assuage his penchant for steering others from following his path to being a miserable failure, he added, "Get a life."

After exemplifying the effects of drug use, he then asked, "Any Questions?"

But before leaving, he left everyone with a picture of his usual drug mood. ----->:o

ROFL..


Oh, and speaking of avatars.. haven't I once seen Prelude using that one, volk?

volk
10-04-2003, 04:11 PM
Oh, and speaking of avatars.. haven't I once seen Prelude using that one, volk?

I asked her to e-mail it to me back in March since she wasn't using it anymore.

Without mentioning any specific names (RoD), some people might have you actually believe that I stole it from her.

civix
10-11-2003, 10:35 AM
Hmm.. leave RoD out of it.

If you had a mind at all, you'd make your own easy-as-hell photoshop orb.

(Can a moderator please close this thread?)

volk
10-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Hmm.. leave RoD out of it.

It's nice to see people defend their lovers. ;)

If you had a mind at all, you'd make your own easy-as-hell photoshop orb.

It's just an avatar. No one's obligated to have one.

If your IQ were higher than your age then you wouldn't be wasting time talking about how easy it is to make an orb in PhotoShop.

You'd also probably make some kind of attempt to check into rehab for your...um problem.

(Can a moderator please close this thread?)

I agree that this thread should be closed, considering that you're the only simpleton who's constantly posting in this dead thread with pointless diatribes.