PDA

View Full Version : help with a calculus problem: toothpaste

Silvercord
09-23-2003, 01:50 PM
what are some different ways you have tried to get the last bit of toothpaste out of the bottle? I'm supposed to think of ideas but I've only thought of three, and yes this actually ties into a calculus problem (we have to mathematically find the volume of toothpaste that is inside a wrapped up toothpaste container given a function that represents the edges of the toothpaste container ).

the three I've come up with:
-squeeze really hard
-put a key at the bottom and roll the tube up to squeeze the last bit out
-cut the toothpaste bottle open to scrape it out

glUser3f
09-23-2003, 02:39 PM
I usually do the third method :cool:

axon
09-23-2003, 03:18 PM
screw getting the last bit...get a new tube! :D But I guess that in the process of using it I systematically fold the tube in rectangles and always squeeze from the buttom. Would you like to know anymore about my hygiene habits?

axon

confuted
09-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Trying to find the volume of a tube of toothpaste, eh? I've got a couple kick arse ways.

1) Submerge the tube in water (or oil) and measure the displacement.
2) Do the math that you're supposed to do? Calculus is great fun....
3) The tube of toothpaste has a labelled volume... read it.

Silvercord
09-23-2003, 06:15 PM
thanks for reading the problem confuted, note the toothpaste bottle is almost empty, we have to find the REMAINING amount of JUST THE TOOTHPASTE (therefore submerging won't work), but the problem at hand is discussing methods people have already tried to get the last bit out of toothpaste out of the bottle, NOT finding the volume, lol.

so to answer your quote

Trying to find the volume of a tube of toothpaste, eh?

no, I am not currently on that yet

Zach L.
09-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Perhaps flattening it with a book. I suggest placing the Oxford Unabridged on your tube of toothpaste so that the opening is clear of the book, and then jumping up and down on it repeatedly.

axon
09-23-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Zach L.
Perhaps flattening it with a book. I suggest placing the Oxford Unabridged on your tube of toothpaste so that the opening is clear of the book, and then jumping up and down on it repeatedly.

it is a good suggestion, but the tooth paste could not be contained during repeated jumps. :D :D

major_small
09-23-2003, 07:22 PM
take something that has a straight edge and 1cm or more of length, and push down on the tube and slide it up... but that doesn't get what's left in the very top, where it's stiffer and damn near impossible to get out...

chrismiceli
09-23-2003, 07:28 PM
well you could just hook a strong vacuum up to the tube, like a bag sealer with some "ghetto" rigged atatchment.

Silvercord
09-23-2003, 07:45 PM

u mean human beings can actually lift that gosh darn thing? My library has a copy, and it is a good thing the female librarians are masculine body builders because otherwise I think theyd probably fart and die

JaWiB
09-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Place mouth on opening. Suck.

Silvercord
09-23-2003, 08:59 PM
lmfao @ jawib

he said suck

*tee hee*

novacain
09-23-2003, 09:42 PM
Leave the empty one to the kids and use the new one, then hide it so no one knows....

>>we have to find the REMAINING amount of JUST THE TOOTHPASTE (therefore submerging won't work),

It would if you knew the displacement of an empty tube and let the tube fill with liquid.

Sir Walter Raleigh was wagered to determine the weight of smoke coming from the queens lips. Not so easy in the late 1500's.

He weighed the queen's cigar then let the queen smoke it, keeping the ash. The weight of smoke is the weight of the cigar minus the weight of the ash and butt.....

Silvercord
09-24-2003, 08:05 PM
but...but...but...I didn't know you could smoke toothpaste!

Zach L.
09-24-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Silvercord
u mean human beings can actually lift that gosh darn thing? My library has a copy, and it is a good thing the female librarians are masculine body builders because otherwise I think theyd probably fart and die

Definitely need a forklift.

golfinguy4
09-24-2003, 09:35 PM
Vol of tube - vol of water that fits in it=vol of toothpaste remaining

EvBladeRunnervE
09-26-2003, 07:14 AM
determine the volume of an empty tube, write it down, find the volume of your partial tube and write it down.

ok, subtract the volume of the empty tube from the partial tube to find the volume of the toothpaste.

nickname_changed
09-26-2003, 08:17 AM
Wouldn't the volume of the empty tube be 0 :S and when you say "determine the volume of the partial tube", thats what he's trying to figure out, he needs ideas on how.

lol and silvercord you have a dirty mind, I didn't realize it could be taken that way until you laughed. Then I was laughing for hours!:D

Glirk Dient
09-28-2003, 07:24 PM
Disolve all the toothpaste in water, let water evaporate until it becomes toothpaste(not dried toothpaste).

curlious
09-28-2003, 08:23 PM
My step grandfather made an invention. Basicly it is a board with a roller. You stick the toothpaste in the box like board and the roller squeezes the toothpaste out. If he had only created the pump tubes.